Vegetable & Fruit Storage

LaDeb

Hi,

I am on day 20 of a whole30 and know that I will be continuing long after the 30 days is up. I am not the cook or grocery shopper in the house. My husband was raised on primarily meat & potatoes. So now we have all this fresh produce and we have no idea what are the proper storage methods to keep all this fresh as long as possible. This sounds horrible as I type it, but so far things have just been tossed into refridgerator in the bags they were purchased in. Does anyone have any recommendations? Websites with advice? Anything?

Thanks in advance!

I always take everything out of the bags and put them in the crisper drawer. We use stuff up within a week so it's rare that anything spoils. Those green bags really work though...if I think I might have something longer than normal, I'll put them in a green bag. I also always use them for tomatoes or bananas, and keep those on the counter.

I store kale, chard and other long stemmed greens standing upright in a big jar of filtered water, or sometimes even submerged in water totally in a big Tupperware and then it doesn't wilt. You can even bring carrots back from the dead this way.

A few tips in addition to the above

1. Tomatoes should not go in the fridge

2. Wash and dry (best in a salad spinner) all your leafy greens, then wrap in paper towel and put into a plastic bag

3. Potatoes winter squash and onions go in a cool dark place not the fridge

4. Keep onions and potatoes away from each other

5. Don't store garlic in the fridge

6. Frozen veggies rock, so get some of those for longer storage or bulk purchases

Yesterday at Natural Grocers I saw a bag of *something* that you put in your refrigerator that absorbs the gas (sorry can't remember the name) that produce emits causing it to wilt, supposedly keeping it fresh longer. It was $10 and supposed to last a year. I had to sleep on it, but have decided it's worth a try considering how much organic produce I buy. Will report back if I notice a difference.

Archived