Day 12: Hungry 30-45 minutes after meals

I've noticed the last couple of evenings that I have that gnawing hungry feeling in my stomach not very long after I eat dinner. And I just got the same feeling again after lunch today. Meals are 4-5 oz of protein, a big pile of vegetables, and a spoonful or two of dipping sauce (sunshine sauce or a mayo/mustard blend). If I ignore it for a little while it goes away, but why am I hungry again so soon?

Just to check that I'm eating enough, I put all my food into MyFitnessPal and it was ~1700 calories: 105g protein, 112g fat, 69g carbs which also seems reasonable.

Snacking/dessert after dinner hasn't been a habit of mine in years, so I doubt it's that. Should I just eat more?

• Moderators

If you ignore the feeling for a little while and it goes away, I am not sure that what you are feeling is hunger. If you were hungry, I would expect you to remain hungry. Maybe not, but hunger feelings never go away for me without eating.

I would tell someone who was feeling hungry an hour after eating that they should eat more, but I am not confident that is the right thing for you. I figure there are several things you could try. One would be to eat more and see if you begin to maintain a feeling of fullness for 4, maybe five hours. Two would be to keep eating as you are and see if the feeling that has been troubling you the last couple of evenings goes away. You might want to start with the second idea and then try the first one.

Given my history of jumping on people for using MyFitnessPal, I have to comment. If you follow the Whole9 meal template - http://whole9life.com/book/ISWF-Meal-Planning-Template.pdf - you don't need to check things out with a calorie counting program. You can know you are eating the right amount for you if you follow the guidelines. However, the Whole9 has said that you can spot check your food in a situation like this as a one time thing.

Thanks! I almost clarified that I don't usually log my food after the blog post earlier in the week. Like you mentioned, was just spot checking. Even a decade ago during my weight watchers phase, I was horrible at logging my food; I'm certainly not going to start now that I shouldn't. :)

Guess I'll just stick with what I'm doing for now and re-evaluate, if needed, in a few more days.

Archived