KayJay's First Whole 30+, Feb 28 - out there, thataway

KayJay

Starting out, 5'4" (shrinking, lol), 207 lbs. No measuring, going to go by clothes since... they're tight!

Current challenges:

• Husband eating regular stuff
  • Live in a rural town, access to affordable and good stuff a bit limited but can be overcome
  • Work weekend nights, so have to plan for meals AND snacks away or I don't eat but once in 12+ hours
  • Limited time before work, so getting in "meals" is a challenge but doable.
  • So many other things I'm doing as well, and limited energy (pre-Whole30)

Day One:

• 3 egg omlette with red peppers and onions and pepperoni (welp, hahah... dextrose, I thought it was too good to be true)
  • 2 cups Columbian coffee
  • Chicken breast with broccoli (cliche!)
  • Macadamia nut and cantelope chunks snack, two sips of Diet Mt Dew (at work, can't fall asleep by 2am in a factory, weaning self off, will eventually bring more good coffee)
  • Salmon with onions and green beans
  • Macadamia nut snack
  • Two hard-boiled eggs and Schwans Sweet Potatoes -- mistake, has added sugar

Bought ISWF for Kindle, reading.

Going shopping in a bit for the few things I need: avocados, actual real live sweet potatoes, more onions, etc. Checking at local meat shop for quality of meat available, have number for Bountiful Harvest contact to call for produce.

ETA: Reserving judgment but cautiously optimistic, woke up earlier and feel rested and "clear headed". Better already, I recognize the positive signs of life without refined sugar and grains since I've done low-carb before... hoping to avoid the "flu" since that was never really an issue for me. But energy is good... not going to overdo, though, experience speaks!

Day 2:

• Country pork rib, onions, peppers, olive oil
  • Macadamia nuts
  • 1/4 lb burger patty, green beans w/ onions
  • Macadamia nuts, two sips Diet Mt Dew
  • Chicken breast, broccoli, olive oil
  • Orange, hard boiled egg
  • Avocado when I got home

Lots of energy, really surprised. Didn't feel physically exhausted after work, just sleepy which is a different feeling for me. Noticed a loss of bloat already, especially my wrists. Eyes look brighter and "rounder", which is the only way I can describe it. No idea why I saw that in the mirror, but it was really striking for me. Sleeping through, no trouble falling asleep.

Day 3:

• 4 eggs, onions, green and red peppers, mushrooms, spinach, scrambled in olive oil and topped with avocado and roma tomato, coffee
  • Tilapia and broccoli drizzled with olive oil and lemon juice
  • Half a handful of almonds and a few bites of cantelope when I got dizzy
  • Macadamia nuts, rest of cantelope, hard boiled egg, two sips of Diet Mt. Dew (getting away from that next week)
  • Tilapia, broccoli, carrots, cauliflower, olive oil and lemon juice, half a Roma tomato and avocado
  • Banana for snack
  • Half a serving of crockpot pork when I got home

Still feeling more energy, was able to do a lot of stuff before work without the brain fog. Felt light-headed before first break at work despite having eaten quite a bit prior. Not exhausted, again, just sleepy.

Bringing food for two meals away from home can be such a drag, but once you get in a groove, it's not so bad. The easiest thing (I've found) is do something salad-based for lunch and some kind of thick soup or stew for dinner.

good luck!

Thanks, xacerb8! I've actually been doing this for almost two years now, because where I work it's not feasible to go out to get something. So my downfalls there have been the vending machines in "emergencies", and that gets old real quick. I've packed snacks and a good meal almost every day, so that part is not so bad.

Day 4:

• 4 eggs scramble with onions, red and green peppers, mushrooms, half a Roma tomato, and spinach. Amazingly enough, I didn't finish it because I felt satisfied! Saved it for later though. Will try three eggs next time. Also good coffee and water.
  • Brussel sprouts drizzled with olive oil and lemon juice, mixed with the remaining egg scramble and a burger patty, along with half a sweet potato. Again, felt full without finishing. Keeping leftovers for first thing in the morning.
  • Ate 1/8 avocado just before leaving for work to see if the fat holds me better until first break.
  • Which it did not, again, 3 hours after my last meal. I think it's just a phase my body is going through, I get ravenously hungry but with no cravings, and feel light-headed. I ate 10 macadamia nuts and it helped.
  • First break at 7:30pm, ate a banana and some almonds, had some of the coffee I brought along this time. Yay, no more Mountain Dew!
  • Crockpot pork, raw baby carrots, brussel sprouts drizzled with EVOO and lemon juice, last of the coffee, and water. AGAIN, although it wasn't visually a lot of food like I'm used to bringing, I almost couldn't finish it. Left a few carrots for my last snack.
  • 1/4 avocado, 1/2 roma tomato, hard boiled egg, the carrots, and water
  • Not hungry upon getting home, unlike the previous three days. Maybe I'm stabilizing a bit!

Also not sleepy as I have been. I don't feel "awake" as I can if I've had caffeine too late, but the coffee I took with me was about 8 oz. I don't think I'll have trouble going to sleep.

Now the funny thing, as I mentioned in the March 1 group log. I don't have a mirror in the house that's easily accessible. I don't do makeup. So lately the only place I see myself is in the bathroom at work. I already noticed that my eyes looked brighter and rounder, but thought that maybe it was my imagination. Well, today, I HAVE CHEEKBONES. This is really weird because I can't really remember seeing them before. They don't stick out, they're just noticeable. I DO NOT THINK I HAVE HAD CHEEKBONES, LIEK.... EVER. My face also looks square-ish rather than rounded. THIS IS ONLY DAY FOUR.

Something is clicking here. I've done Atkins years ago, it worked but was unsustainable. I did South Beach a couple of years ago, it worked, we kind of let it slide and I haven't been able to get it to "work" again like it did the first time. So this kind of eating is very good for my body, there is obviously something I'm sensitive to that's been bloating me out and making me feel like crap.

I cannot believe how good I feel after just four days. After the last couple of years I've had -- I'm ready to embrace this and go the distance, for life.

Day 5:

• Noon Leftover lunch from yesterday -- brussel sprouts, egg scramble, and hamburger, coffee, water
  • 3:00 pre-work lunch of crockpot pork sauteed with mushrooms and spinach, green beans, EVOO
  • 3:30 pre-work snack of 1/8 avocado, water
  • 6:30 hypoglycemic stave-off of 10 almonds at 6:30... I'm seeking advice on this
  • 7:30 snack of macadamias, banana, and a few sips of ick blech phooey vending machine coffeewater for caffeine only
  • 9:30 dinner of roasted chicken breast, Schwan's California Blend (broccoli, cauliflower, and carrots), green beens, drizzled with EVOO and juice from the chicken, water (did not finish all chicken and veggies)
  • Midnight snack of 1/4 avocado, whole roma tomato, hard boiled egg, and water

My hypoglycemia was diagnosed as just plain old "hypoglycemia" years ago, but looking up "reactive hypoglycemia" it looks like that may be the case for me, I'm also getting slight sweats at work in the first couple of hours, followed by light-headedness. So I have to figure out what to eat specifically before leaving for work to make it four hours instead of three. I don't have that problem during any other part of the day, and I'm seeing how my days off go (starting with today).

I did have yucky work coffee, black, just to stave off some sleepy feelings. So awful (the actual coffee-like stuff, not the black). Funny enough my first sip almost tasted a bit sweet, which is either what they use for "black coffee" or the leftover sweetener drops from the cup previous to mine. Needless to say I'm ordering really great coffee and will eventually make a big cold-press batch to take with me in the future.

I also was hit by a wave of sleepiness, not exhaustion, after I got home, so that I couldn't do our paper route as I usually do on Tuesdays, so had to ask my husband to do it. After a five day week I expected to crash (normally a LOT, liek... collapse), but this was only overwhelming sleepiness, and today I'm good! Not the norm. Or hasn't been up until now!

Day 6, so far:

• Noon waking up jumpstart by finishing off the chicken and veggies from last night (less than a cup of food, total), coffee, water
  • 2pm 3 egg pan frittata with onions, red and green peppers, garlic, mushrooms, spinach, topped with 1/2 roma tomato and basil (not fresh, but this summer mmmm!)
  • 5pm snack-ish thing (not a planned meal) of almonds, more California blend from last night, and 1/4 avocado, water

Since I will be going to bed earlier tonight, I won't have three big whole meals, it looks like. Also as much as I want more fabulous coffee, I choose to wait until tomorrow for that because I want to see if I affect my ability to fall asleep with caffeine. I know it can keep me up, but I need to test out how I feel without it so I can then see how I feel with it.

TMI, but a bit ago I had a very quick episode of diarrhea that came on suddenly. Not a lot, but I haven't had that yet (or, in the past, when I didn't have some obvious cause for it). My bowels have been, shall we say, lovely compared to the last few months. I'm thinking something let loose from my innards (not the gut) and is being shed.

Energy, good! Which is gobsmackingly amazing after working an extra day. I go to an out-of-town appointment on Thursday, and usually that cuts short my feel-good about my days off, but this week... not so much! *fingers crossed*

Archived