Needed: Sriracha sauce substitute

kayell

I'm curious to see responses to this one also. At Whole Foods this weekend I got some Yucatan Sunshine Habanero Pepper Sauce that has a great flavor to it. I *think* it is Whole 30 compliant as its only ingredients are habanero peppers, vinegar, carrots, onion, salt, and garlic.

What I like about sriracha is that it doesn't have the vinegary flavor of a lot of hot sauces. It's mostly chili and garlic. I'm going to try some Thai chili garlic paste if I can find some without nasties.

I should have thought of that - and honestly, I'm not sure. I don't know if the peppers themselves will have enough sugar to cause fermentation.

I did see there was another version on that same site, which doesn't rely on fermentation - so I imagine this might be a safer recipe to leave the sugar out of: http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2012/02/fresh-thai-sriracha.html?obref=obinsite

I've got another question. Both of those recipes call for "red jalapenos". Is that the same thing as a Fresno pepper? I was in Whole Foods earlier looking, and what they labeled as a Fresno pepper was the closest looking thing to what I imagine a red jalapeno would look like. I did get some fresh habaneros to make a spicy sauce with.

Archived