Monthly Headache

kshacklett

I'm actually not on a whole30 right now, but I'm trying to keep my life as simple as possible (in terms of what I put in my body). I learned last summer than I can make menstrual cramps go away by drinking some ginger tea in the morning, but this doesn't seem to do anything for the headache that usually accompanies the first day of my period. It's not an awful headache, but bad enough that I took some ibuprofen for it. Does anyone have any suggestions for something more natural I could do? I work all day, so just sleeping it off isn't an option ;)

For headaches, in general, I find that the scent of peppermint oil helps me. I tried putting it on points on my temples and neck, but it is too strong, so I usually keep some around that I can just sniff occasionally. If it is really bad, I'll put some into unscented lotion and put that on my wrist or on my temples and neck. For the most part, though, I just keep a little dab on a cotton ball in a small medicine case in my purse and pull it out when I need it.

I would say most of the time I have a headache, it is because I have let hydration go off to the wayside. I find during my period I need really stay on top of drinking enough water. You could give that a try on your next cycle.

There are just so many things that could be contributing to this it is hard to pinpoint your source.

• 2 weeks later...

The peppermint acts as a vasodilator, and opens up the blood vessels in your head. It can completely cure a headache if you take some of the drops and put it on points on your forehead and sub-occipitals (where your head meets the back of your neck). Just be careful to keep it away from your eyes, as it can really burn. Wash your hands immediately afterwards. I would not use it if you are pregnant, as peppermint is related to pennyroyal, which can cause miscarriage.

I have found the oil to be really strong, so I put it on one finger and mix in some moisturizer with another finger before putting it directly on my skin.

Archived