Help! Accidental sip of artificial sweetner, felt awful!

Hi everyone, I really appreciate any input you can give.

Last night, I went to a restaurant. I had a spinach salad and iced tea (unsweetened). My friend also ordered iced tea, and she put Sweet N Low in hers.

Our cups were right next to each other, and our waitress took them for refills. When she brought them back, she mixed them up. I took a sip of "mine", and it tasted disgusting and sweet. It was not a huge gulp, just a small sip. I immediately traded back and felt so guilty, but it was completely an accident!

A little while later, I got: a sore throat, a bad headache, and I started feeling really anxious--so badly that I had to take one of my prescribed anti-anxiety pills that I rarely use.

Is it possible I had that much of a reaction from a sip of tea with Sweet N Low?

The only other thing I can think of is that my salad was dressed with "balsamic and olive oil", but what if it had something in it I wasn't supposed to have? Either way, I felt SO awful afterward.

What should I do? I am on Day 27...

Have you been exposed to artificial sweeteners prior to your Whole30?

I am definitely sensitive to Splenda. I develop severe vertigo that takes some time to resolve. Your body could be sensitive to your friend's sweetener of choice.

Is there any chance you have any kind of seasonal illness or allergies combined with anxiety over getting so close to the end and having a slip? It is a weird season where I am where there are both viral things in the air and seasonal things. Have your symptoms resolved?

I don't think an accidental slip of this nature ruins your Whole30 - and congratulations for making it so close to the end. Knowing that the sweetener had this effect is something to keep in mind as you approach reintroduction.

I hope you are feeling better!

Hi Nico,

Thanks SO much for your input. I have never *noticed* specifically a reaction to fake sugars; however, the symptoms that I got last night were all very familiar feelings and symptoms I had before Whole 30...I just didn't know that they were possibly caused by the Splenda I was using and the diet soda I was drinking! It looks like I might have a culprit here, huh?

It's possible that some of my anxiety was triggered by feeling like I slipped last night, even though it was an accident, it did still feel really bad...so close...

I agree that this is something to keep in mind (aka completely avoid!!!) when I go for reintro soon.

My symptoms have resolved, and I have never experienced seasonal allergies, so I really do think it was what happened last night.

Thank you so much for your response, your kind words, and your really helpful insights.

I remember reading several " anti anxiety" articles that stated several artificial sweeteners are a big trigger for a lot of people and to avoid them completely....

Pre w30 I was on some meds for anxiety and have been off for 8 months now, symptom free.... I'm sure all the " diet" whatever was a contributing factor..... Having my hormones balanced I'm sure is the major part of it....

I asked my prescribing doctor about artificial sweetener as a contributing factor and he looked at me like I should be locked in a institution !

In your case I'm guessing that you did have a slight reaction to the sweet n low... Your anxiety took over " blowing w30, so close to the end,OMG I'm gonna have to take a pill,etc" set you off completely.

I'd add a week on to the end just to make sure you are cleared out before you reintroduce...... As for me I will NEVER,EVER touch any artificial sweetener again!!!!!!

What should I do? I am on Day 27...

Take a deep breath, remind yourself just how awesome you are and how well you've been doing and carry on. Yes, you've definitely reacted to something so that's a massive learning experience. It could be the artificial sweetener or there could have been something in the dressing, there's no way of telling. Personally speaking, I wouldn't have artificial sweetener under any circumstances (other than accidental of course) so I'd never be reintroducing it. I'd just keep going and, if at the end of your W30, you don't feel these symptoms have all cleared up or you think you could have got better results, then I'd just keep going a few extra days. In any case, good luck, I'm sure you'll do well.

Kirsteen, I feel like you are an angel on these boards. I don't know what we'd do without you. I think I will keep going at least a few extra days to make sure that I'm clear...

Also, I agree that I should NOT be having artificial sweeteners. I have my Splenda tucked in a box in the closet, and I will be getting rid of it and saying good riddance to diet soda, too!

What a lovely thing to say I'm really touched but, honestly, I only tell it how it is. People are only too ready to put themselves down and don't give themselves the credit that's due. As I said you're doing awesome. Good luck with your whole healthy life journey.

Archived