Canned sweet potatoes, extra light syrup-RINSED!

Reyna Brown

I live in a very rural part of South Dakota (a state where there is no Whole Foods or Trader Joe's). I can only get to town once a week for groceries and during the winter months produce is slim Pickens. I rely a lot on frozen (mostly) but canned vegetables and fruits during this time of year. My question is, I can only find canned sweet potatoes in extra light syrup and I really want to make the No-Fuss Salmon Patties in ISWF, if I drain and rinse them really, really well, would they work? Granted, this isn't my regular thing to use or eat and I'm aware fresh and frozen is best but I'm doing my best here. What about in other recipes? Like in a soup or something? Thoughts? :)

I don't know if you could make them legal. My experience with canned sweet potatoes is that they are so overcooked that they are practically mush, so I would think there would be no way to eliminate the syrup. Maybe someone else has a better idea.

• Moderators

The first example of canned sweet potatoes in light syrup I found on the internet listed the ingredients as Sweet Potatoes, Water, Corn Syrup, and Sugar which makes them fail on two counts - corn and sugar. You can't rinse all the sugar and corn syrup out so it would technically spoil a Whole30, but the best you can do is the best you can do. I would not fault you for using what you can get during the winter.

Archived