W30 #4 - Relatively Egg Free

mochuisle

I'm starting my Whole 30 at a pretty stressful time, so right now I just need to get to the weekend..... Normally I like to start on a Monday when I've had the whole weekend to prep meals. Instead, I was gone from Thursday-Monday, spent the whole day Tuesday doing laundry/housework, and started softball preseason. Ouch!

In the month since I ended my W45, I got in one more week of tough training for my half marathon, then began to taper. During my taper, I ate whenever I was hungry, slept a ton and cut way down on my workouts. And I drank, drank and drank some more. I blame bowling league!

On the one hand, I ran my half marathon this past Saturday - 2:35:55, a little over the 2:30 I set for a goal. I was mildly disappointed in my time, but super happy with how amazing I felt after the race! I walked two miles to Capitol Hill directly after my finish, ate brunch, then walked another quarter mile to the Metro. Getting off the train, my brother pointed out how many people were limping and hobbling around after the race. While I was a little sore and creaky, I felt pretty damn good and was definitely not limping. And I felt even better after a hot shower and a long stretch. To put this in perspective - my only other half marathon was nine years ago. My legs were in excruciating pain through most of the race, I could barely walk a quarter mile to the car, and I basically stopped running afterward. This time, I'm already planning on my next half - Maine Half-Marathon in October! - and am lightly entertaining discussion of a full. Very lightly....

On the other hand, I stepped on the scale this morning. I gained 10 pounds in a month, but it's apparently mostly muscle mass because my body fat and water weight percentages stayed exactly the same. While I'm a little bummed that I've regressed in the month off, they say trying to lose weight while training for a half-marathon is a fool's errand since you need so much fuel and you're building so much muscle mass. And in the long run, I'll take the 10 pounds if the trade off was feeling so good during/immediately after the half, especially because I know the weight is going to come right off as I get back into the routine.

GOALS

The purpose of this W30 is to give me some structure and consistency during softball season. This will be the first W30 I've done while coaching, which is super important for me because I have a tendency to pack on pounds as my life a) spins out of my control during the season, b)I pick up take-out and fast food instead of cooking, and c) I work out half as much as I do in the off-season.

My plan for the spring is to complete this W30 on April 19th, take a break until my birthday on the 29th, then do another 30 for the month of May. That will get me through the regular season of softball, my triathlon at the beginning of May, and most of the 4th quarter of school. Basically, it'll be summer when I'm done. YES!!!!

So my goals for this W30:

1. I'll begin training for the Polar Bear Triathlon: swim/bike three days/week - run two days/week (the running piece is an important mental goal for me considering how lousy I felt after the last half-marathon)

2. I'll attend yoga at least twice a week.

3. I will prep meals for the week on Saturdays and Sundays to cut down on midweek chaos.

4. I will say NO to requests of my time that detract from these goals and the spring W30s.

Day 1 Log

With very little preparation, I made it! I started all of my doctor-recommended supplements again - L-glutamine, Uva Ursi, and a probiotic - and am amazed at how much better my stomach feels.

Tomorrow is going to be absolute chaos so I'm hitting the rack ASAP.

Breakfast - Eggs, Avocado, Spinach Salad w Figs

Lunch - Spinach Salad w Grilled Chicken & Blackberries, Mango

Dinner - Butter Chicken w Spinach

Totally selfish, but.... I'm really happy to be doing this W30 without a group. One issue I ran into during my W45 was listening to other people complain about being hungry and discuss snacks. I had broken the snack habit during my second W30 and had gotten used to not eating between meals, but the constant discussion of hunger and snacks got me hungry and snacking. Yes, I should be mentally stronger than that. But it's nice to listen to my body this time around and just get 'er done!

Day 2 has me tired - working at the yoga studio at 530am may be contributing to this - and I'm totally psyched to go to bed early and sleep in as late as I'd like. I did get a whole lot of grocery shopping done this afternoon, so I'm in great shape for meal prep this weekend. With long hours at tryouts next week, having meals planned and ready to eat will be essential.

Breakfast - AF Hot Dogs, Spinach Salad w Blackberries

Lunch - Butter Chicken, Green Salad, Orange

Dinner - Spicy Grilled Salmon w Strawberry-Avocado Salsa, Kale, Roasted Sweet Potatoes

I think I slept 12 hours last night :)

I'm getting back into the workout routine after my race - hot yoga yesterday, hot yoga today and hot yoga tomorrow. I also dropped my bike off for a spring tune-up because next week, tri training starts! I have a 15-mile ride on the agenda and would so much rather get outside if the weather will cooperate.

Day 3 Log

Breakfast - Eggs w Avocado, Sweet Potato, Spinach Salad w Blackberries

Lunch - Butter Chicken w Spinach, Orange

Dinner - Spicy Swordfish w Strawberry-Avocado Salsa, Kale, Sweet Potato

I'm back into the swing of things :) Meals are prepped for the week, I'm drinking water again, I'm back into the workout routine, and I didn't need 12 hours of sleep last night. The next two school weeks are going to be crazy busy, but by the time they pass, I'll be well past the halfway mark of this W30. Woohoo!!

Day 4 Log

Breakfast - Butternut Squash-Italian Sausage Hash, Spinach Salad w Figs

Lunch - Spicy Swordfish w Strawberry-Avocado Salsa, Kale, Applesauce

Dinner - Filipino Pork Stew w Mashed Cauliflower

It felt pretty damn good to get outside for a run this morning :) No headlamp, no hat, and a fleece vest was more than I needed to stay warm. Plus, my favorite running path is almost clear of snow, so I'm hoping to get back on it next week!

During my W45 this winter, I ran into some GI problems - constipation and persistent gas pains in my lower belly. Lovely, I know. Well, they've reared their ugly heads again :( Last time, it began Day 8 and finally went away around Days 15-17 with the help of some Smooth Move tea. I was hoping this time around that I'd avoid the GI stuff by starting my supplements on Day 1 and taking 1T of raw apple cider vinegar in the morning. No such luck! The Smooth Move seemed to clear things up last time, so no messing around - I'm having a cup tonight to get things back on track (fingers crossed!)

First day of softball tryouts has me wiped! I'm hitting the rack early, then hitting the pool in the morning.

Day 5 Log

Breakfast - Sausage & Butternut Squash Hash, Spinach Salad w Figs

Lunch - Filipino Pork Stew w Mashed Cauliflower, Strawberries

Dinner - Blueberry Carnitas w Avocado & Hot Sauce, Green Beans, Applesauce

http://paleomg.com/blueberry-breakfast-carnitas/

BTW, this carnitas recipes was fabulous!! I made a few subs - no maple syrup, prosciutto instead of bacon - to keep it compliant. Delish!

Crazy busy day here! Swim in the am, full day of school, three hours of softball tryouts, then bowling league. Thankfully, I get to sleep in tomorrow :)

Day 6 Log

Breakfast - Butternut Squash & Sausage Hash, Spinach Salad w Figs

Lunch - Blueberry Carnitas w Avocado & Hot Sauce, Green Beans, Strawberries

Dinner - Garden Salad w Steak, Applesauce

Even without hanging out after bowling league and with a little sleeping in this morning, my wagon was dragging today!! Thankfully, tryouts are over so practice time is cut in half, and I can focus time and energy on the kids who will be on varsity. I'm psyched to be done early tonight - it gave me a chance to cook a meal and chill out before I pass out asleep :)

Day 7 Log

Breakfast - Hot Dogs, Spinach Salad w Blackberries & Pepitas

Lunch - Blueberry Carnitas w Hot Sauce & Avocado, Apple

Dinner - Veal Marsala (sub almond meal for flour, beef broth for wine) on Spaghetti Squash, Spinach Salad w Blackberries

Thank God for a day off tomorrow! Yes, in many ways it'll feel like a regular work day, like SAing for yoga at 530am and proctoring an exam/correcting papers in the am. But, I'll be able to get into the pool after yoga, I'll get to lounge around in sweats, I'm getting a session w my amazing new chiropractor, and I have nothing going on in the afternoon. I see movies and maybe even a bike ride in my future....

Day 8 Log

Breakfast - Blueberry Carnitas w Hot Sauce & Avocado, Spinach Salad w Berries

Lunch - Veal Scallopine w Spaghetti Squash, Green Beans, Banana

Snack - Hot Dog, Pecan Butter

Dinner - Filipino Pork Stew w Mashed Cauliflower

So, my W30 is no longer an official W30. And it's ok :)

When Easter turned into a full family affair, I figured I'd take the day off then complete my 30 days. Yes, I know this is no longer a W30. But, for my long-term W9-living, this might be the best thing for me. It'll give me a chance to see if I can off road for a day, then get right back on plan. Usually when I off road, a cheat meal turns into a day, turns into a week, and so on, until I jump back into another W30. Now I'm going to test my commitment to W9 as a lifestyle, not a diet or a cleanse. I think I need to see that I can stay compliant most of the time and be fine. And I need to see that I can do 29 days of W30-living and continue both to improve my health and to lose weight. So here we go....

I worked at the yoga studio and did class this morning, then did a half-mile swim in the pool. I corrected papers while proctoring an exam, then went to the chiropractor. She worked on me for 45 minutes - AMAZING!! Then I picked up a carrot cake for Easter and ate a peanut butter egg. I did NOT then pick up a slice of pizza or buy a cupcake to go w my PB egg. I did go home and eat my salad and beets. Later that night, I went out to dinner & ate off plan. Tomorrow will be 100% clean.

Breakfast - Blueberry Carnitas, Avocado

Lunch - Green Salad w Cranberries, Walnuts & Grilled Chicken, Roasted Beets, Peanut Butter Egg

Dinner - Cheeseburger w Fries, 1 Beer

Back on track :)

I got in a 4-mile run this morning, even after a burger and a beer last night. Now that the snow is almost gone, I was able to run on the Tri for a Cure route for the first time this year. This is hands-down the best I've ever felt on this course!! In 2011, my running leg was 43:33; last summer, it was 39:38. Now granted, this was just a 4-mile run and I didn't swim 1/3 mile or bike 15 miles beforehand, but... I did the full course plus 1 mile in 40:35. YAY!!

Today we held our first outside softball practice :) Because it was Easter weekend, we had five kids missing, but it was so nice to be out in the sun and fresh air. And it was even better to finally see who can do what on a real field!

Breakfast - Three Eggs, Spinach Salad w Figs

Lunch - Garden Salad w Grilled Chicken, Cranberries & Walnuts, Green Smoothie (Spinach, Kale, Strawberry, Banana)

Dinner - Chicken Wings, Beet Salad

I enjoyed my respite over the weekend, but am happy to back on plan today :)

I did a whole lot of cooking yesterday so that meals are prepped for the week because oh what a week it is!  This may be my busiest week of the year - grades due in the morning, scrimmage, parent meeting and bowling league tomorrow, trip to BU for UConn softball game on Wednesday, another scrimmage on Thursday, and a full-day round robin on Saturday.  I'm exhausted thinking about it :(

I had big plans for a run this morning, but the rain sent me indoors to the pool instead.

Breakfast - Eggplant & Sausage Strata, Spinach Salad w Strawberries & Pepitas

Lunch - Spanish Chicken w Chorizo & Sweet Potatoes (http://pickyin.blogspot.com/2011/07/spanish-chicken-with-chorizo-and.html)

Snack - Apple w Pecan Butter

Dinner - Beef Curry w Cauliflower Rice & Kale, Roasted Kabocha Squash

Day 12 aka Day 2 of The Week From Hell

The rain went away so I got a chance to go outside for a run this morning. Still really nice to do 3 miles runs, not 5 and 6 :)

3rd quarters grades are in! After stressing about grading essays (and staying here until almost 7 last night to finish them), my grades are all caught up - including the quizzes I gave this morning - and I have plans ready for the next units all three courses. Yes! Now I need to get through my scrimmage, two parent meetings and bowling night. Seriously, I may sleepwalk through tomorrow. Oh wait, I have to drive a bus to Boston....

Lunch - Spanish Chicken w Chorizo & Sweet Potatoes, Green Apple

Dinner -  Beef Curry w Mashed Cauliflower & Kale, Roasted Kabocha Squash

I'm actually posting at 9am on Day 15 because there was absolutely no way that I was posting last night. After a full day of school, I took my team to Boston University to see a recent grad play for UConn. We didn't get to the field until 4:30, then stopped for dinner on the way home, then dropped a kid off on the way, and finally made it back to Cheverus around 10pm. Needless to say, I hit the pillow and passed out.

I need preseason and bowling league to be over because they're both interfering with my workouts. I didn't get home from bowling until 11:30 Tuesday night, so I didn't work out Wednesday morning. And with another late night last night, I didn't get in a work out this morning either. Granted, I will make up some of these missed workouts this weekend, but a full-day round robin on Saturday might make that challenging. Our last bowling night should be next Tuesday - and of course we have the late game! It's been fun, but I don't have time for it now.

With all of these stresses, it would've been really easy to binge or to fall off plan, especially yesterday when we stopped to get pizza. Or when we got off the bus and the girls had left all the leftover pizza behind. But I stayed strong :) With all of this chaos - end of 3rd quarter, tri training, work at yoga studio, and softball preseason - W30 is the one thing making my life easier. It's a bummer to have to dedicate the weekend time to prepping meals, but it's so nice during the week to know I'm completely good to go!

Lunch - Spanish Chicken w Chorizo & Sweet Potato

Snack - Green Apple w Pecan Butter

Dinner - Green Salad w Grilled Chicken & Grilled Shrimp

And just like that, I'm halfway to 30 :) This is the plus side of being insanely busy during a W30!

On the agenda for today - full day of school, softball scrimmage, fall asleep at 7pm.

Breakfast - Eggplant & Sausage Strata

Lunch - Spanish Chicken w Chorizo & Sweet Potato

Dinner - Southwest Meatloaf w Roasted Broccoli & Kabocha Squash

Day 16 aka Day 5 of The Week From Hell

More craziness today.... Tomorrow will be completely full of softball, and I will pass out at 7pm on my couch :) Even the weekend has me overwhelmed, but I made a really good decision: I did 75% of my grocery shopping on my way home from practice this evening. This means all of my meals are planned and after a quick trip to Trader Joe's tomorrow, I'll be ready to prep on Sunday. And I may even get to take a nap ;)

Breakfast - Eggplant & Sausage Strata

Lunch - Southwest Meatloaf, Kabocha Squash, Roasted Broccoli

Dinner - Pan-Roasted Rib Eye, Sautéed Mushrooms, Kabocha Squash, Roasted Broccoli

Day 17 or Day 6 of The Week From Hell

Finally!! I need to get in a couple workouts in the morning, then I'm chilling at home so I can cook, nap, watch TV, nap some more, then maybe finish a book :)

Today was a long, cold day spent outside from 9am to 3pm. With the craziness all week, I didn't get a chance to plan a lunch for today, so I went to the corner store with my team. I ordered a garden salad w grilled chicken, which came absolutely drenched in shredded mozzarella. I mean, there was so much cheese it was impossible for me to get it off the salad. So, I had to order another salad. The chicken was SO not natural, but I think it was a better option than the deli meat on the chef salad. And really - since when is mozzarella part of a garden?!?

Breakfast - Sausage & Eggplant Strata

Lunch - Garden Salad w Grilled Chicken

Dinner - Pan-Roasted Rib Eye w Sautéed Mushrooms, Spinach Salad w Blackberries

Playing a little catch up....

Yesterday, I went to yoga in the am after a solid 10 hours of sleep, then did a ton of laundry and prepped meals for the week. Technically, I was supposed to go for a swim, but my body was asking for a nap, so indulged it :)

Breakfast - Eggs w Avocado

Lunch - Chipotle Carnitas w Lettuce, Salsa, Green Salsa & Guacamole

Dinner - Mustard-Glazed Chicken, Asparagus, Kabocha Squash, Spinach Salad w Blackberries

Today, I got up bright & early after a solid 8 hours of sleep and logged 4 miles before 630am. However, I have clearly strained either my hamstring or my piriformis. I'm leaning toward piriformis, and it is absolutely screaming at me. Tomorrow I'll hit the pool, but I'm pretty psyched to see my chiropractor on Wednesday for a full work up. I see some painful Graston in my future....

Breakfast - Acorn Squash w Ground Pork, Peppers & Onions

Lunch - Chocolate Chili w Acocado, Green Salad, Apple

Dinner - Slow Cooker Barbacoa w Avocado

HI - I searched on asthma and eggs and found your first egg-free log. Have you noticed your asthma being better or worse when on or off eggs? I've noticed mine is worse since starting the W30 and am wondering if my much higher consumption of eggs could be part of it. Your log gave me some great egg-free meal ideas.

Thanks!

Archived