New guy

MichaelKC

I was talking to a few coworkers Thursday about the tough mudder they plan on doing in the fall and how I should get in shape for that. My new place is a little over 2 miles from the office and I plan to start riding my bike and running when the weather gets nicer. The one girl suggested that since I still don't have any food in my place, I should also start this diet. She has been a great help in getting on this path, and I just jumped right in, why the hell not.

Well, it's the end of day two and I don't know what to feel. This morning I had three eggs with avocado and a banana, lunch two big plates of salad out at Sweet Tomatos, and bacon wrapped turkey breast with broccoli for dinner. I went to my parents for dinner and they fail to mention the bacon until I'm there and also that there's some butter added to the baked turkey breast until I'm halfway done with my meal.

I'm hoping that since this is only day 2 it won't hurt me too bad, but it made me realize that I really can't count on anyone but myself when it comes to food. I've never formally dieted ever so I know it'll be rough going, and I'm on the road a lot for work which will make it more difficult to have a consistent routine, so I really would love to have as much support as possible.

If you have taken the time to read this, thank you very much!!

I think you are correct about not trusting anyone but yourself, but I will also have to add that, in my case, the most difficult one is my mother. She sneaks in butter in everything. I don't know how many times I have had that conversation with her.

Otherwise there are both places and people that are OK. I always tell restaurants that I will die if I have any dairy, including butter, and that usually helps.

But the social part is the most difficult on W30. The rest is a piece of... avocado? My advice to you is to have some strategies, be really well-prepared and plan in advance. And cook a lot at home, of course. Good luck!

http://paleoperiodical.com/2011/11/04/your-whole30-survival-guide/

Read this. It will help you through some tough spots.

Good luck!

That is a great article- but since the o.p. is new I feel like I should chime in with a warning about the cocoa-dates-banana-coconut milk-in-a-blender-thingie as not really being in the spirit of the w30 rules. Sounds like a SWYPO milkshake and may be a slippery slope for some. However, everyone does their w30 differently- that just stuck out as a no go to me.

Mini coolers and Tupperware are your friends..... :)

I alway cook in large batches and have chic brest,sweet potato, HBeggs on the ready.... Stews, soups,etc.... One big pot can divide into ten portions So I have no excuses and have proper recovery meals after a WO. and more importantly something to take with me if I " just know" ther won't be anything for me to eat where I'm going.....

Good luck, stock up .......

Archived