Road trip to visit family

Maycat

Hello! This is day 31 of my Whole30 that I plan to continue for a while. On Friday after work we took a 7 hour road trip down to southern California to be with my husband's family for his birthday. Before the trip I packed in a cooler:

1 can of Trader Joe's tuna mixed with home-made mayo and celery

Deviled eggs made with mayo, spicy mustard, Frank's Red Hot Sauce, and sprinkled with paprika

Turri Farms grass-fed beef jerky (no sugar added)

Almonds, pecans and pistachios

Carrots, jicama, celery, tomatoes

Mandarins

When my husband stopped at Carl's Jr for two burgers, he remarked how good my food smelled.I devoured the tuna and a few eggs. I was exhausted when we arrived at 3:30 am but I wasn't hungry and stayed compliant.

The next day while staying at my in-laws, I made eggs for breakfast, but I forgot my avocado :-(

In the middle of the day, after running around with family members, I suddenly got hungry. I told them that I had to eat, NOW. And then I returned to the house and ate my leftover deviled eggs, beef jerky, and veggies.

That was enough to keep my full until dinner. My husband's parents wanted to take him out, and I realized that I didn't research a compliant place to eat. They wanted to go to Soup Plantation http://www.souplantation.com/, but I was pretty sure they don't have any compliant protein I can eat with the veggies.

So then I found Reds. I didn't have time to call them to double check, but according to their website, http://www.redsbarbecue.net/steak_seafood.html their tri-tip is only seasoned with garlic and pepper. We went there, and it was packed. There were six of us, and my father-in-law was a little frustrated that we had to wait 15 minutes to get a table (he's in his 70's so he is allowed to be cranky) but my husband asked me, if there is anywhere else I could eat at? I told him, no I know I can eat here.

Anyway, we got seated, and I informed the server about my dietary restrictions and he was fine with it. He confirmed that there would be only salt and pepper on the tri-tip steak, I ordered it with steamed broccoli, cauliflower, and zucchini, and a salad with oil and vinegar on the side. I also ordered the 16 oz size instead of the petit! My sister-in-law commented that the smaller steak would be large enough for me and cost less, but I thought, hey, everyone else is eating garlic parmesan bread rolls, onion rings for appetizers and dessert, so I will get the larger size! It was a little bit hard standing up for myself, but I did it. It also wasn't easy saying no to their onion rings, bread, and home-made dressings, but I did it.

So, It was delicious. I ate a good 12 oz or the tri-tip and the veggies. I felt satiated and had enough for leftovers. After eating that big piece of beef I felt MUCH better. I think I didn't eat enough protein earlier in the day. Then they sang happy birthday to my husband and brought this HUGE ice cream sundae with hot fudge and 6 spoons. I thought, this is the last few hours of day 30, I could probably eat a little ice cream, but nope. I didn't succumb!

Today is Easter, and my husband's birthday. My sister in law is making a turkey, Mormon funeral potatoes (potatoes with cream, cheese, and corn flake crust), and green bean casserole, and we are having cake and ice cream afterwards. When I told her I can eat meat and vegetables, she thought I can eat what she makes, but they have cream of mushroom soup in them, which has wheat. So, I am bringing a salad and vinaigrette, making sauteed mushrooms and kale, a sweet potato, and some strawberries for when they eat the cake. I am hoping that she doesn't have one of those self-basting turkeys, and will avoid the gravy. I figure that I can eat the turkey and my vegetables and I should be OK

It is day 31, I may succumb to the ice cream with my strawberries, but overall I am happy with this road trip.

• 1 month later...

I'm going on a weekend trip soon, and I'm glad I read this post. I also let my cousin know ahead of time that I'm doing the W30, so there'll be some understanding on the part of my family members. Hopefully. Eating out and a kid's birthday party will be the hard part.

TXN11, prepping for the road is helpful, as is checking out the website of the place you are eating beforehand. Kids birthday parties are another story, but after doing a few Whole30s I realize that the food at most kids birthday parties is pure crap! If I was going to it I would offer to bring some deviled eggs, veggies, and maybe a fruit salad. Good luck!

Archived