Sleepy on Day 5 = Ketosis?

So, my family has just finished day 5 and we're all tired. I've been having muscle pain in my legs all day and my son (4yo) woke in the night crying about leg pain that I suspect was a cramp/ charlie horse type of thing. Is this still all okay? I get the bit about our bodies switching over and all, but I really don't want my kids to lose weight. They are small builds anyhow and don't have much fat to lose/ burn, so I'm wondering if instead we're experiencing muscle wasting, ie ketosis? That doesn't seem like it'd be a healthy thing for kids or anyone really (in the long term). Please explain....

I can't explain what is going on with your family, but I can tell you that this is not a ketosis diet.

I am wondering if all of you are eating enough? Especially the kiddos. They are little metabolism furnaces. Are you eating enough starchy veggies?

I am, but they are leaning towards fruits more at the moment - lots of bananas, strawberries, dates, apples, etc. Some veggies too and overall far more produce than before, but as they are 4 and 5 years old, I'm letting them choose whatever they want for now during the adjustment away from rice, crackers, etc. So not pushing the veggie over fruit bit too much just yet in an effort to let them get used to things being different.

I totally understand why you are doing what you are doing. However, It doesn't seem to be working. They are eating so much sugar. Have they tried roasted butternut squash? Or beets? I feel you are setting up a pattern for them that is not going to work.

What about protein and fats? Also, can you give me an idea of what mom and dad are eating?

Why do you think it's not working, as in, are our symptoms unusual for day 5?

Several others in another thread I started a few days back called "too many bananas" seemed to think it was okay to let this fly for a couple of weeks?

They are eating lots of protein - chicken, fish, beef, pork, and eggs and in larger quantities than before. Everything is being cooked in coconut oil or ghee, so there's fat there. They are eating some nuts. Some veggies and have to at least try a bit of anything I make, but not forced to eat it. And, then lots of fruit, as I said.

My husband and I are eating the same proteins and fats plus I eat avocado and drink coconut milk (the kids aren't on board with that yet, though my 5yo ate a dip that I made with it). Our veggies are much more elaborate including asparagus, cauliflower, spinach, kale, carrots, peppers, cucumber, onion/garlic/ginger, fresh mint and basil, tomatoes, zucchini, mushrooms, etc.

Thanks Susan and sorry if I was a bit defensive. I know I'm going to need to fix this eventually, but alas the overall steps are in the right direction.

And, yes, canned coconut milk. I pour it into a glass pitcher and cook with it/ drink small quantities from time to time. I really like it, but I'm the only one so far - my husband got a bad stomachache when he tried to drink some.

No problem. We all need to take the approach that works for our kids. Even when they are 27. It's all a work in progress and not all solutions work on all kids. It's all a work in progress. Forever. :)

I wish I liked coconut milk as much as you do.

Archived