SFH post-workout advice. Anti-carbs?

InkblotJo

I'm curious as to what the Whole 9 community's opinion is on this post by Stronger Faster Healthier:

http://strongerfaste...ogen-re-loading

I'm particularly intrigued because Whole 9 endorses SFH's products. However, this post seems to assert that carbs are not recommended post-workout. I'm also interested in this topic because, though I feel wonderful about a lot of developments I've experienced during my Whole 30 (on day 7 now), my recovery seems to be suffering. I feel great; my lifetime's worth of digestive disasters have been minimized, I'm sleeping wonderfully, but I'm just significantly more sore than I used to be when I took post-workout shakes in the form of whey and fruit. These days, I follow each workout with a half-sized portion of protein and a fist-sized portion of sweet potato, as the guide recommends. Then I shower and eat lunch pretty much directly after that according to the meal guidelines (with extra protein and about double the fat recommendations--I'm fairly active and not looking to lose weight). But I'm perplexed by my diminished recovery. Has anyone else had this experience, and does anyone have an opinion on SFH's stance here?

When I originally went paleo, I suffered from this issue for a few weeks until it balanced out. If you're new to paleo eating and only 7 days in, it will likely clear up on it's own soon. I don't see how your two post-workout snacks are too terribly different (from a macronutrient perspective).

But, I'm also curious about an answer to your first question.

• Moderators

I have been happy with how I feel eating sardines and sweet potato after a workout. I've never used post-workout shakes, so can't comment on any differences. I wonder if your increased suffering is related to what you are eating or if there might be other changes. Are you exercising more vigorously since you are feeling better? I started lifting significantly heavier weights when I was doing my Whole30. And because of my success, I worked harder than I had before.

In It Starts With Food (pages 243-245), Dallas and Melissa discuss how overweight people with metabolic problems might not want to include carbs in post-workout meals, but that lean, active individuals might benefit.

Scientists don't agree on lots of things when it comes to nutrition, so you can find support for lots of different opinions. The Whole9 community doesn't have an opinion on a topic because the community is diverse and has diverse opinions. I don't know what the Hartwig's think about the SFH post, but you can be sure they will speak up if they change their mind about anything. That's how they roll.

I wonder if your increased suffering is related to what you are eating or if there might be other changes. Are you exercising more vigorously since you are feeling better? I started lifting significantly heavier weights when I was doing my Whole30. And because of my success, I worked harder than I had before.

Thanks for the reply, Tom! Unfortunately, this is not the case. My performance in the gym has actually stalled a little bit-- nothing drastic, just something I attributed to adapting to the diet change... and possibly the soreness... I've been taking it a bit easier these past couple of days, actually just in case I needed to let myself rest more as my body figures out what's going on...

Archived