Questions for Runners!!!

K3Run

Have any runners tried this diet and had fatigue issues? I am on Day 7, and I'm about to break down. My running feels very fatigued, and I want to get into race shape! (I am 8 weeks post partum). I don't want this diet to have a negative affect on my running.

After a few miles, my stomach feels like its completely empty and I'm exhausted, where usually I can run 15-18 miles fairly easily every weekend for my long runs. I live for my long runs, help!!! Advice is needed!!!

• Moderators

Runners often experience a decline in performance for a few weeks as their bodies adjust to fueling with different foods. However, after a few weeks of adjustment, many return to excellent performance levels.

Pre-workout meals for runners can be tricky. You want to avoid carbs immediately before workouts because the fiber can be a problem and you don't actually need energy from the food. You have lots of energy in your body stored as fat, you just need to adjust to burning it efficiently. Unfortunately, that takes some time. A boiled egg is a good pre-workout meal. Maybe two. You might want to eat as much as an hour before running, but some people can eat as they run. It depends upon your stomach. Eating starchy veggies like sweet potatoes are important. If you are running a lot, I recommend eating at least one sweet potato per day or a similar volume of starchy veggies like butternut squash, yucca, carrots, beets, turnips, etc.

First of all, it will take your body some time to adjust. I found weeks 1 and 2 near impossible to keep my usual pace--I was tired and weaning off of my sugar habit definitely took a toll on my energy levels.

That said, these days I typically do a HB egg, some brussels sprouts and a 1/2 yam before a particularly long run--and that keeps me more than going :)

What Tom said, I agree with 100%.

I am starting day 16 tomorrow and I've been doing great sticking 100% to it. No withdrawals or cravings maybe because I wasn't eating junk or loads of sugar before. I am a runner too, during my last marathon on January I injured my left foot and I've been resting it. I am going to run again tomorrow in hopes that my foot is healed. I hope that after 15 full days of following the program and reaping some benefits already such as stable energy levels, sleeping like a rock at night, feeling easy and relaxed during the day so no more mood swings, bloated stomach is history and I had lost weight already, my body is somewhat adapted and I can run without bonking. I will have to start building up from the beginning. I also workout every day, I lift weights, bicycle and swimming. While lifting I feel a bit lightheaded maybe because I am used to take supplements before, duiring and after workout. When I swam yesterday I felt great even better than when I used the supplements. I can't wait to see how running goes this week. :)

Archived