Eating food outside of meals

Blue Horn

I was watching the NCAA championship last night and was up later than normal. As a result I was fairly hungry. I ate midsize paper plate full of strawberries and blackberries. Is that going to compromise my diet?

Also, I am doing Crossfit at the Rx level 5 to 6 times a week. How bad would it be to have a small snack not right before or right after a workout.

I was told that if my energy levels drop, that I can add good fats listed on the program and that it would help a lot. Is it ok to go past the 1-2 thumbs on one meal if I am feeling fatigued? I am in day 3 and am feeling fairly good even though we had two rough workouts Monday and today.

Thanks

You should be eating a post-WOD "snack" consisting of a few ounces lean protein (I usually bring beef jerky to the box with me and will often also have 1/2 of a sweet potato as well). This "snack" or meal shouldn't impact your next full meal template even if you eat an hour after your post-WOD meal. As a fairly active person, you are also allowed a pre-WOD "snack" although it isn't always necessary.

• Moderators

You need at least 5 meals on days that you workout. Three regular meals and then a pre-workout and a post-workout meal. CrossFit is very demanding and it is important to fuel performance. The meal template covers important details at http://whole9life.com/book/ISWF-Meal-Planning-Template.pdf

Athletes need to eat carbs for energy every day, at least one sweet potato or similar carby veggie every day.

Thank you both for your quick responses. And I love sweet potatoes with a little coconut oil, salt and onion powder.

In addition to the pre and post workout snacks, how bad is it if I had some strawberries in the evening after dinner. I dont plan on doing it regularly, but I was up later than normal and was hungry so I figured the berries would be better than most other options.

For a pre WOD snack I was thinking a half of avocado and two hard boiled eggs would be good. Or is that too much? Also, I workout at lunch if at all possible so I eat right after. Should I add a snack elsewhere to make up for missing a post WOD snack?

Thanks again for your help!

Your post-WOD snack should be consumed before you leave the box...so unless you bring your lunch to eat immediately after, you should still be having your post-WOD meal (I usually just have a few ounces of protein in this situation and then just have a slightly larger lunch since I tend to be really hungry post-WOD).

I have to admit that I don't always have the pre-WOD meal....it tends to upset my stomach if I eat within an hour of my workout. I have found that I tolerate avocado or (dare I say it) a spoonful of nut butter or coconut butter pretty well if I feel like I need it or am doing a super intense WOD.

As for the berries, I don't think you ruined your W30. I definitely wouldn't make this a habit....really try to stick to the three meal a day template. If you're hungry between meals, you're not eating enough. Personally I really need to think about whether I'm actually hungry or craving when it's late at night. If I'm hungry enough to eat a full meal, then I'll have something (usually protein and veggies) so I'm not starving all night. If I'm just craving a snack, I make a cup of tea or have a glass of water and skip food altogether.

Archived