Kauai & Oahu

In exactly two weeks my groom and I are flying to Kauai. We'll be there for a week, and then we'll get married on the beach. We have everything set up for an easy and stress-free tropical wedding, and then we'll honeymoon on Oahu (we'll be ready for some nightlife!).

Today is the end of my Day 32 of my Whole 45. It's the first time I've visited Whole9, but I was eating strictly Paleo for about a month before I began. I'm SO EXCITED for my upcoming wedding and vacation!!!!!

I am wondering if anyone out here as any food or restaurant recommendations while we're there. Day 45 is the day before we leave, and I've read the reintroduction strategy for ending the Whole process. I just was hoping for some yummy suggestions that will help us to stay on the same eating path. Start our trip prepared for success (and fun!).

I appreciate any and all tips! Mahalo!

Congrats! I live on the Big Island. I have no tips about Kauai or Oahu, but I wish you happy wedding and honeymoon and lots of good food! If you're staying in a condo anywhere, you can eat Whole30 compliant very easily, of course. Eating out here has the same challenges as eating out anywhere else. Lots of farmer's markets if you're up for that. Some people are, on vacation, and some aren't. Anyway, you're going to have a blast! Alooooha!!

ALOOOOOHA!

We plan on stopping at Costco when we fly into Lihue before heading to Poipu for our condo - stock up on healthy breakfasts and lunches. Probably we'll want to eat out for dinner. We already shop at Costco here in California, so going to Costco on vacation just doesn't seem super special and vacation-y.... but, we do want to stay healthy and save some money. So I figure, I can eat Costco at home, or I can eat Costco on a tropical island! I'll pick the island any day! Reframe! :)

P.S. - is that how people stay trim living on an island, food is just so darn expensive that lack of portion control isn't an option!?

Does anyone else have any suggestions for our trip? I found a Cross Fit gym on Oahu that doesn't charge a drop-in rate, but I'm still looking for something affordable on Kauai. Healthy and fun ideas for our trip to stay the course and still feel like we're on vacation????

So appreciate anybody's thoughts! Today's Day 35 of my Whole 45, and I'll be sad that our trip is so soon and to be done. I've never felt SO GOOD, ever! I love it!!!!

Aloha and congratulations! Costco is a great option, but you would be fine just going to the local supermarkets and getting the AMAZING ahi tuna.

To start, I would bring a bottle of light olive oil with you in your luggage. Make sure to hit the farmer's market to get fresh delicious fruits and vegetables. Most condos have a BBQ that you can use. I used to get japanese eggplant from the farmer's market and rub olive oil and garlic on it, and then grill it. You can also grill most vegetables this way.

But back to the light olive oil and tuna, get some pastured eggs at the farmers market, and make Well Fed's olive oil mayo, http://www.theclothesmakethegirl.com/2010/06/03/the-secret-to-homemade-mayo-patience/ . I am pretty sure your condo will have a blender to make it in, otherwise do what nomnompaleo did and use brute force. Once you have made the mayo slather a big piece of fish with it, and then sprinkle some blackened fish seasoning on it (easily available in all supermarkets in Hawaii). Heat up some coconut oil on a skillet, then briefly sear the tuna on each side, for maybe 30 seconds each side (more if you like). You want it very rare on the inside. The fish in Hawaii is amazing! Costco is great if you are getting a bunch of fish, but I was happy with the local supermarkets. I made sure to get a local discount card at each supermarket (free).

Food in general is expensive there, but the fresh, local produce and fish is cheaper there than on the mainland (usually). Since this fits into the whole30 template perfectly you should be set!

I don't know how easy it is to get coconut aminos, but I would bring that just in case. There is so much fresh good food there cooking is easy. As far as going out to eat, I think kalua pig is compliant, as it is just smoked pig with salt. I would try to find simple food like grilled fish or shrimp with olive oil. I also would check out the yummy spices available there. Aloha and have a wonderful trip!

Archived