So depressed about eating healthy..

I'm currently a stay at home mom and I'm very devoted to eating healthy, doing yoga, etc.

However I'm leaving my boyfriend (and the father of my toddler) and have to move back into my parents, somehow find a full-time job and I just feel like my healthy habits are going to go down the drain.

My parents eat like your average americans.. like crap. Tons of junk in the house. I'm so depressed and afraid I'm going to resort to eating junk because I'll have to be working and taking care of a toddler.. I'm just absolutely terrified of what my life is going to become. I don't know why I'm posting this, I just feel like I need to get it off my chest and hope and pray that I'll be able to stay somewhat healthy.

You're going through some major life upheavals, your worry and concern are totally normal, if you weren't a little anxious I'd be worried about you! Take this one day at a time, look at what you can and cannot control. You cannot control your parents SAD way of eating, you can choose to continue to eat healthy nourishing foods-even if that means you need to get a mini fridge and stock it with quick and easy foods for you and your baby.

I won't lie, eating healthy while working while raising a family is not easy but it absolutely can be done. And you can come here to vent and get support as much as you need to!

Branching out on your own is difficult. I hope the transition is smooth for both of you. Lots of people on here work full time and have families and still maintain a healthy diet. It just takes more planning and greater commitment, but it can be done. So don't think your diet has to go down the drain. And maybe you will be an example for your parents. Good luck.

I definitely get how you feel. Although i havent experienced your exact life situations, i do relate that when im in major stress times i resort to eating bad. Or atleast I used to in the past. Now ive taken a bit of a different attitude and I tell myself two things; the first is that eating healthy makes me feel less depresses. Its a fact that poor diet plays into mood and depressive states, so see eating healthy as one way to help out with that. Second, when life is spiralling out of control (as it does at some point for all of us) and I feel like i dont have control over things, i find comfort in the fact that what i eat is something i actually have full control over. That even if i cant change all the crummy things that are happening in my life, i can take control of that one area. I find it actually makes me feel better to focus my energy on that.

Good luck with everything and I hope you can find a way to make it work.

Hi Anycolour, I really feel for you, sometimes life majorly sucks and I can only imagine the amount of stress you must be under. There's been some great advice in the posts above and I totally agree, getting control of your food and eating healthy will make you feel better than if you're eating tons of crap but then you already know that.

However, I really, really wouldn't stress about it. You are under immense pressure from all sides and incredible amounts of stress. The most important thing is be kind to yourself. Just do the best you can a day at a time. You know you want to eat healthy and have a healthy lifestyle for you and your toddler, so keep that as your goal. Even if you have to make some compromises along the way while things are so unsettled, know that you will get there - you will get back in control - just don't add guilt into the mixture, you really don't need it.

Do the best you can, be kind to yourself, remind yourself how lucky your toddler is to have you as a mum and I really, really wish you all the best. good luck

Archived