first Whole30 under my belt

CAK911

My husband and I finished up our first Whole30 on Tuesday. It was definitely a success. I'm not sure what my husband's stats are, but I lost 16 pounds and an inch off my waist and my hips.

Doing the Whole30 helped me break my caffeine habit. I'm sensitive to caffeine, and I'd cut out everything except occasional diet sodas and decaf coffee, now I've cut out everything but occasional decaf coffee, which seems to be ok for me.

The Whole30 also helped me reassess what I was eating when and why, and encouraged me to diversity the vegetables I eat. It also encouraged me to diversify my protein sources, and helped push me back towards eating meat (I'd been pesce-vegetarian for about 9 years).

I'm a little disappointed my skin didn't clear up much, but my joints feel better (which is HUGE as I have a repaired knee and a chronic back injury) even though I worked out more this month than I have in ages. I also just have more energy in general, both physically and mentally. I feel more enthusiastic about projects and adventures.

My plan from here on out is probably to stick mostly to Whole30 compliant foods, but working back in the occasional Paleo-ified treat, because I love baking, and I miss it a lot, and the occasional drink, because that's something else I enjoy. I didn't miss dairy as much as I thought I would, and I really love cooking with coconut oil. We're moving out of town, and there's a few non-compliant restaurant meals I play to enjoy before we pull up stakes, but overall, I'm happy eating this way, and I'm thrilled with what it's done for my sense of well being.

congratulations on your success!!!

Our skin is a very sensitive organ and it takes time for it to heal. My husband had a big problem with acne, but it went away completely with a 3 month dairy free diet. Although he continues to eat grains and legumes, acne never came back.

CAK911, fabulous results! Thanks for sharing them here. Skin is a tricky thing, and can take a while to clear up. You may want to play around with eliminating nuts and seeds for a week or two and see if that has any impact - that's a really common trigger. Also, did you start taking fish oil for the first time with your Whole30 (or have the skin issues been worse since you've been taking fish oil)? That's another common culprit, especially in women, but I may have a fix if that's your story. Thoughts?

Melissa

I haven't started taking fish oil. I did start eating poultry again for the first time in years (I'm slowly transitioning out of being vegetarian), so that may have wreaked some havoc. Also, I started working out a lot more dilligently, and at a higher intensity (which usually makes my skin better, but who knows). I'll keep the dairy out for a while, and see if that helps, and if it doesn't clear up, I'll play around with the nuts and seeds.

Thanks, y'all!

Archived