and it begins

Duke

Hi all--today is my first day of the Whole30 challenge/program. I only just decided to do this yesterday afternoon. Our CrossFit box has decided to take this on as well, although my goals are pretty life changing for me, I know I have plenty of support.

I am a BIG guy with a BIG gut and butt and a BIG appetite. I am also pretty sick because of my food choices over the past oh....35 years or so. High blood pressure, Type 2 Diabetes, Depression & Anxiety, and can't sleep at nights (without meds). So I am ready for a change.

I do have some concerns:

• Sticking to it-although if I goof up, I gotta do 100 burpees for each offense (this may not be the issue after all)
  • Wife does daycare and the FDA and State Guidelines require crappy food in the house for the kids. So we have Carbs & Sugars galore and all over the house.
  • Lazy-I am just a big ole' fat lazy guy who will prepare the first week and then easily become tired of it the second week. I need to keep my excitement about this change going.

That's about it for now. I hope to keep in touch, meet some new folks and get my rear end in gear so I can stick around on this place called earth and hang with the family.

-chris andersen-

-keizer, oregon-

Welcome and good luck.

Don't plan for a goof up :-) choosing to go off plan means you have to start over, so just avoid doing that.

My mom used to do home daycare as well. Is it possible that she can put the stuff on one shelf or in a big Tupperware container, so it is out of sight?

Not sure how to overcome lazy :-) I would be a millionaire if I did. I will suggest maybe a non food treat each week you stay compliant. Also, making new dishes each week has kept me interested and excited. I pick up a new cookbook from the library each week. I am 16 days in and doing well. A bit of motivation, my husband lost around 10 pounds and significantly decreased his belly size.

Here is your answer to sticking with it:......"I am also pretty sick because of my food choices over the past oh....35 years or so. High blood pressure, Type 2 Diabetes, Depression & Anxiety, and can't sleep at nights (without meds). So I am ready for a change."........sticking with it WILL give you change. Picture in your mind a healthier, more energetic you when you are tempted. You can do it!!

Just found out my wife is not doing this with me. I am kinda bummed. Now it's me vs. the wife and kids. 29 days to go.

WIth that said, I feel pretty good about today. I prepared and followed through with my food choices. Enjoyed a wonderful shrimp/celanro tacos (big lettuce leaves for shells), my homemade salsa with avacado. If I can have this every day, these 30 days will be a breeze!

this is my 2nd attempt at, and will hopefully turn into my 1st complete, whole 3o. starting today. i'm a major carb (mostly in the form of sugar) addict and have done low carbing successfully in the past as far as weight loss but that allows for dairy, chemical sweeteners and other frankenfoods so although my energy levels and other issues would improve, i still felt like crap to some degree while doing a low carb diet. i have autoimmune thyroid disease and i wouldn't be surprised if i'm developing other autoimmune issues. about 9 months ago after becoming familiar with paleo i decided to quit gluten and a few months into that i realized i was no longer getting debilatating headaches several times a week. have tested the theory LOL and gluten definitely gives me terrible headaches, usually 12-24 hours after ingesting. so my eyes have been totally opened to the fact that my gut, undoubtedly unhealthy due to the crap i have been putting in it for many years, is most likely the reason for my list of random symptoms and feeling poorly in general. my weight, thankfully, is not so much of an issue right now, i could stand to lose a few pounds though. i am really hoping that this whole 30 will increase my energy levels, improve mood and focus, and just get me feeling a bit better overall so i have the motivation to make more positive changes in the future as far as exercise, sleep, etc. the problem is that i am not super motivated for planning and prep since i have been feeling lazy and tired lately (sugar makes up a large part of my daily caloric intake and i know this is the culprit. i am a slave to it but hope to be a slave no more after this!) anyway, i am just trying to keep it simple to get started since i am not much of a cook ( my husband is but there are always grains or refined carbs and cheese in most of his creations) so i've gotten some grassfed ground beef, organic free range chicken and eggs, fresh veggies for steaming, salads, fruit, and coconut butter for a "treat". already have good healthy fats on hand.

so good luck to everyone and hope we can all stick to it! :)

Archived