Too many Crossfit workouts?

CourtneyS

I just assumed a 5 day workout routine was fine but I have been reading some other comments about 3 days a week being plenty. I do feel pretty tired later in the day because my workout is at 5:30 am (only time it works with my husbands schedule and my kids). But if I could get a good nights sleep one of these years I don't think that would be the case. I have a 7 month old I have to feed about 3 times a night. My 3 year old wakes up from nightmares frequently, and on occasion my 5 year old will wake up with them too. So I never get a good nights sleep. I am trying to get pregnancy weight off which has proven to be extremely tough this time around. I have about 20 lbs to lose to be where i was pre oregnancy. It just won't go away! I've been doing Crossfit for the last two months. I have been an athlete my entire life except for the last three years, so i feel like im starting from the bottom and working my way back up. Does 5 days on 2 off sounds ok for me? I know some good sleep is something that is really important, and trust me, if I could swing it I would... but I figure eating clean and getting good exercise is as good as I can get right now.

Anyway, my question is: how many workouts per week should I be ok with?

• Moderators

Five modest workouts and two days off might be fine. Five workouts in which you smoke yourself, given your child care and sleep situation, is too much. Some CrossFit gyms are supportive of scaling workouts (reducing volume and/or intensity), some not so much. How is your gym?

My gym is totally supportive of scaling the workouts. Although I'm thinking it would be beneficial to take Wednesdays off, it would give me a little more sleep and I could focus on mobility at home. Does that sound appropriate? Thanks for the quick response, I usually ask my brother these questions but he's deployed. So glad to have this forum!

Agree with Tom's point on the sleep situation. I would be interested to hear if you are able to maintain the right intensity for 5 sessions a week considering the reduced sleep. It may be better to go harder for 2-3 sessions a week with active recovery (eg long walks etc) on the other days. Use the extra sleep to recover as well.

Luke, I'm not sure how to judge that. I feel like I do fine durring most of the WODs, my muscle recovery seems good. I just feel like I need more sleep throughout the day. But I did take a few days off when I went out of town and my performance on my next WOD was awesome... Maybe taking it down to 4 days a week would be good. I'm going to do mobility WODs on my off days, I think

Hey Courtney

I have so much respect for you. A mom of 3 kiddos and making health and fitness as a priority, incredible. I'm a full-time crossfit coach and I see a lot of moms come through frustrated and ready to get the weight off. I talk to all of them about "WORK SMARTER, NOT HARDER". Sometimes the best way to get the weight off isn't as obvious as getting in the gym more. Three workouts a week should be plenty. Savor the other mornings to grab that extra hour of sleep (you need it more than that workout). If you have a particular week where you are getting a lot of extra sleep, go ahead and get that 4th or 5th workout in as a bonus. Be patient with your body because ultimately its going to do what it wants to do. Forcing a situation is never a good idea. You are on the right track.

I highly recommend mobility wod. Kelly Starrett is excellent will have you stretching like supple leopard in no time!

Don't underestimate the benefits walking. I know it's not as sexy as a metabolic beat down at crossfit but its great for fat burning, reducing stress, and its a good way to clear your head.

I agree. 5 workouts mixed with trying to raise three young children w/ intermittent sleep patterns could spell disaster for burn out/ fat loss. I would try for 3 days a week with the occasional 4 if all the stars align.

Thanks to all of you for your feedback, I really appreciate it. I'm going to go for three days a week for this month and evaluate my performance and how i feel. I didn't realize I was overdoing it. I was a swimmer before and had 1 and 2 hour practices twice a day 6 days a week... So my perspective is a little warped. I sure am glad I posted the question because I would have continued spinning my wheels. Thank you!

Archived