Just checking: I think this will be okay (warning: humblebrag)

I'm going to a friend's birthday dinner tomorrow (Day 5) at a high-end restaurant that I used to go to (as a bar) fairly regularly. I'm already going to face raised eyebrows from the bartenders when I have to pass up all the amazing cocktails. I don't want to exacerbate the awkwardness by asking a lot of questions about how the food is prepared.

There are two items on the menu that look completely on-plan:

Pan Seared Chicken Breast

- fiddle head ferns, wild mushrooms, lemon-thyme oil

Braised Durham Ranch Buffalo Shank

- sauteed kale, parsnip puree, braising liquid reduction

I'm planning to order the chicken. (For one thing, it's cheaper.) Also, the fact that the ingredients specify an infused oil kind of implies a good oil. Do I still have to ask?

It's http://www.southwaterkitchen.com, in case you're curious or want to drool over the full menu.

So much for planning ahead! As everyone is ordering - from the bar food menu - I asked for the chicken, only to find that we were there too early for that menu. So I had to think fast and went with 1.) deviled eggs and 2.) marinated olives. Later, I noticed there were 3.) pickled baby vegetables and got that too.

I ate two deviled eggs that had applewood smoked bacon mixed in and, one would assume, non-compliant mayo. The olives were served with chunks of feta cheese. I didn't eat any of the cheese and brushed as much of it off the olives as dignity would allow. The vegetables were fine. The total volume of non-compliant ingredients was probably a teaspoon. (Also, I don't eat olives and I totally ate olives. Go, me!)

So, what do you all think? Do I need to start over tomorrow??? The total volume of non-compliant ingredients was probably a teaspoon. I'm leaning towards giving myself a pass. Tomorrow's going to be tricky - afternoon out shopping with friends - and, if I start over, it'll be too tempting to postpone the restart until Monday.

It really depends on your goals. Dairy, probably soy -- those are substances that could be allergens and could maintain inflammation. Traces of sugar? Probably not that big a deal especially if it didn't set off any cravings. If you really want to be "clean" for 30 days just add a few days at the end of your 30 to make up for it. It IS worth it to get all the way through the end once or twice 100% clean. After that you can use your judgment depending on what your allergens and triggers are.

I'm going to keep track of minor, gray area transgressions* and decide at the end how much time to add to the clock. Sort of like they do in soccer (?) My 30 ends on a Wednesday, so I think extending it through the weekend, but with a test drink of alcohol Friday wouldn't be hard to do.

*so far: undocumented deviled eggs, potential trace amounts of feta, handful of pistachios between meals. Also, still some multitasking during meals.

I'm going to keep track of minor, gray area transgressions* and decide at the end how much time to add to the clock. Sort of like they do in soccer (?) My 30 ends on a Wednesday, so I think extending it through the weekend, but with a test drink of alcohol Friday wouldn't be hard to do.

*so far: undocumented deviled eggs, potential trace amounts of feta, handful of pistachios between meals. Also, still some multitasking during meals.

I think you're onto a logical and wise track :) Let us know how it goes!

Archived