From a guys perspective...

I was diagnosed with Graves Disease over 14 years ago, and at the time I wish I would have learned more facts before allowing the doctors to try and fix my condition. My problems was triggered by 8 new amalgam fillings put in 6 months prior. If you want me to be honest, then I would rephrase that to say that multiple years of not going to the dentist was actually the cause. Discussions always go better when you own up to your problem right up front. :-)

After 3 treatments of RadioActive Iodine to kill my thyroid function, I have had years of adjusting meds, from Armour Thyroid (when it was actually available) to Synthyroid which I am now on 175 or 137 I forgot.

Since I started whole30, I went thru the normally stuff that is talked about on the Daily emails, but when Day 7 hit, there was this awesome serge of energy. About day 10 or 11 it started to fade and the brain fog came back. I realized from others that I might be eating too many nuts and fruits and started pulling back on Day 13. When I did, my energy kicked back up and I just cant seem to get full. A milder version of what I went thru when Graves kicked in. (I could not get over how much I was eating and was still loosing weight, and this is from a guy that in High School could eat 2 double cheese burgers, or a Large Meat Lover pizza). Also, I checked the scale this morning and my weight is going down again...

On day 14 now and feel like I need to either; eat more and go broke, or get my RX reduced. I think the later is cheaper. :-P

• 4 months later...

Interesting ekgmedia. I have Graves disease, which is controlled with methimazole (my endocrinologist thinks it's easier to control overfunctioning thyroid rather than do the RA iodine, because in his experience the docs that do that procedure always overdo it and it's harder to regulate the resulting low thyroid -- again, that's his opinion). I have read that cruciferous veggies ("goitrogens") are not the best choice for people with HYPOthyroid (they slow down the thyroid's ability to convert iodine to thyroid hormones). Not sure how that works with your thyroid having been nuked but something to think about if you are getting too foggy. (Assuming that your thyroid is partially functioning, could be that portion can't do as much as it otherwise would when you are eating a lot of cruciferous veg)? http://thyroid.about.com/od/symptomsrisks/a/All-About-Goitrogens-thyroid.htm

Archived