Day 5 and I need a support group!

Katy LeGrand

Hey! this is my first post on the forum and it's my fifth day. Just wondering if a group of ladies wants to start a thread, or some kind of face book/email support thing. It really hasn't been too hard for me so far, I didn't eat that great before this but I didn't eat Mcdonald's every day either. Just want some people to bounce ideas off of and hear about their experiences!

I'll join you... I'm on day 10. I'm doing pretty good... but slacking a bit on breakfast (eating it a little late due to crazy mornings. I should also cut back on nuts a bit...I tend to snack on them while making breakfast because I'm "starving" by the time I get to it!)

This is my third Whole30 and I've been focused on a Paleo/Primal diet for the past 14 months or so.

What were your eating habits before? Is this your first Whole30?

Anyone else want to join us?

Great! Yeah breakfast gets hard for me too sometimes because I like to work out in the mornings and I can't eat a whole meal right before. And I'm totally with you on the snacking thing, I don't have nuts at my place but while I'm cooking my meat at dinner sometimes I go ahead and eat my green beans as a finger food, it makes them seem more appetizing. I may also eat in front of the TV while I watch ugly betty...which i know is not Whole30 approved!

That's awesome it's your 3rd one! This is my first. I used to eat pasta for dinner, turkey sandwiches for lunch and oatmeal for breakfast. Just a lot of easy stuff, so cooking has been my biggest challenge, but it's getting better as I'm discovering what I like.

I'm actually really ready to go shopping again this weekend and try some new foods. I've seen a lot of people seem to like to fry up some kale with coconut oil, have you tried that?

Also, what are some changes you noticed on your first whole30? I haven't seen anything significant yet :/

I haven't fried Kale, but I've baked it into chips. My boys love it. They also love toasted coconut flakes sprinkled with cinnamon and salt. YUMMM

My first Whole30? The changes were very subtle for me. I definitely felt blah the first week, but nothing terrible. I can't say that I experienced a whole lota magic with my first one. I was so focused on getting through it and motivating my husband to stay with it. I spent a lot of time thinking about what we couldn't eat. I wish I would have gone on a little longer... I had some serious demons so perhaps a Whole45 would have been beneficial. Whole30 has without a doubt been a life changer for me. I may have not noticed some of the huge changes that some people do, but it has forever changed the way I look and feel about what I put into my body. The principals behind it influence everything I eat now.

The biggest change I have noticed with each Whole30 is the change in my mental state. Less emotional, not so many ups and downs. I feel optimistic and content pretty much all the time. I feel better equipped to handle the pressures of motherhood. It reminds me of how I felt when I was much younger.

This time I'm doing it by myself and the whole process is more enjoyable. Our family eats Whole30 meals 99% of the time at home so there is no adjustment there. This is day 14 for me and many hours of my day feel so good. I can't wait to have entire days feel that way. I just feel light, content, comfortable, etc. It's such a great motivator and reminder of how a person should feel. It's also made me very aware of how chocolate or wine several times per week effects me. Those are my main splurges and I struggle with allowing them to become habitual.

Did you go shopping? Are you trying any new recipes this week? What are your go-to breakfasts? I'm curious if your noticing changes now that your officially in your second week...

I just started today! I had gone paleo 2 years ago, but slowly incorporated things like tortilla chips, potato chips, popcorn, rice back into my diet. I started feeling really bad about myself, so I decided today to go back to the basics and do a whole30. So far so good. I just came home from a party where all kinds of gourmet chocolates and wine were served, but I had sparkling water.

I did go shopping, I think I've found it's easier for me to buy the frozen vegetables that you steam in the bag, sweet potatoes for baking, and squash. I tried making this breakfast "pie" recipe from paleomg.com but it turned out kind of gross. I still ate it for breakfast along w/ half an avocado and i feel very content.

I know this is weird but I STILL don't feel that different, and I also feel that because I'm full/content i'm gaining weight or something. But I don't see how that would be possible. I used to drink a lot of soda before this and haven't been drinking it obviously on my 30 days. I've also been working out WAY more than I used to so maybe that's why I've been feeling really hungry as well.

The light feeling I think I can relate to though, especially when I wake up in the morning I feel light and relaxed, I still want to just lay there, but I also don't mind getting up!

BessW: Parties are so hard to go to and I'm super proud of you for sticking with sparkling water. I went to a jewelry party and there was this delicious bread stuff, cheese, hummus, crackers, cake pops and grapes and WINE!...guess what I ate? Grapes and water! I did feel pretty proud of myself :)

I have been fantasizing about a celebration on Day 31 about eating a big piece of chocolate cake..anyone else?

BessW - Hi! Well done with the sparkling water - social events can be hard, especially in the beginning. Whole30 is definitely back to what should be our basics - such a good way to refocus on why we eat the way do.

Katy - bummer about your breakfast pie! I haven't tried any recipe's from Paleomg - I've perused her blog before and she can be quiet funny. Her recipe's look amazing (the dessert ones, lol) dangerous zone for me - I have to be careful or I'll gone on a bender.

It's interesting to me that you haven't noticed any big changes. Like I mentioned, my first experience was much like that and I was secretly bummed I didn't have amazing things to report. I will be curious to see how you feel at the end of your thirty days.

Katie - Of course! Please join us. How are you feeling aside from the sweet cravings? I struggle with that too - especially in the afternoon or early evening after a meal. What was your way of eating before?

I'm trying really hard to forego snacks but that has been difficult. I'm getting better at it though. It's easier during the work week because i eat breakfast at home, pack my lunch, then eat dinner at home and if I don't pack snacks, I don't eat them! I read on another post from a moderator that he had to have snacks during his first one but he eventually weaned himself off, so I think it's okay!

Bon, you need to try some of her food recipes, the easy crockpot pork is amazing! Her desserts do look so good though! I may try one as a reward on my 31st day. I'm still wondering what I'm going to do on day 31. I kind of just want to keep this up, it's just so time consuming! However, I think it will get easier and easier.

I have noticed I'm sleeping a lot better, and I have the will-power to work out every day. I weighed myself Monday which I know is bad but I forgot to at the beginning so now I will be able to tell if I lost some weight.

One last thing, my boss asked me to plan a party next week for work which means delicious non Whole30 food... I'm not looking forward to it :(

I'll join. Third attempt, on Day 3 of a Whole100. I had a killer headache yesterday and, upon waking, a dull one to start today. I did a Paleo Challenge last summer and felt fantastic so I know I just have to push through these next few days.

I am doing 3 meals and don't have too many issues with that. Having variety and ease is where I could use some support. I have 3 kids with sports activities which adds a bit of a challenge to dinner time prep.

Hi!

I know we are already 1/3 of the way through but I'll join! I'm on Day 11 :) My hardest thing has been not eating fruit. I've been eating waayyyy too much (I love my bananas). I just finished a bunch today, I won't be buying anymore until after my 30 days!

I'm glad you found a steamed vegetable brand that is compliant... All the ones in my local grocery store have other nonsense in them. I'm making the trip to my nearest Whole Foods this weekend though, it's about 40 minutes away, and hopefully I'll find something there.

Good luck everybody stay strong :rolleyes:

Archived