Does this sound right?

Gmctrucksgirl

I don't know if I would consider myself an "athlete" but I wasn't sure where to post this question. I'm still new and I'm 9 days in to the whole30. I lift weights 4-5 days per week. Since I'm trying to "heal" gut inflammation/adrenal fatigue (and I'm hypothyroid...and just found out severly vitamin d deficient), I limit my workouts to less than an hour. I also walk my dogs at night postworkout for around 40 minutes to an hour.

M1 - 6:30 am - 3 eggs small amount of veggies. sometimes a little ground beef or avocado

M2 - 12pm - veggie salad with turkey, half avocado

Workout about 4:30pm

Post workout a little before 6pm - egg whites/carrots (then I walk the pups)

M3 - 7pm- two cups veggies cooked in coconut oil (brussel sprouts, broccoli, and squash) with beef or chicken

Bed about 9:30pm

Workouts are about 40 minutes of lifting with 20 minutes short cardio (keep my heart rate in the 80-85% range). Usually stepper, incline treadmill, elliptical...

I will admit that while I'm trying to heal, I also would love it if I could lose some of the weight I've put on...I know...I'm probably dreaming.

I was surprised how quickly my body adjusted to the 3 meals a day (switched from a 5-6 meal, 40/40/20 style diet) and it's so weird (and tasty to be cooking with so much oil). I feel like everything in my house smells like oil now! Will I get used to that?

So, what do you all think? Are carrots ok postworkout? (I really thought I would miss my protein shakes!) Should I try switching it up and walking my dogs first thing in the morning (while fasted)? Should I eat something closer to my workout? I'm not usually hungry right before my workouts.

Thanks everyone!

• Moderators

If you're trying to heal adrenal fatigue, you might want to limit weight lifting sessions to 40 minutes, 4 times per week and stop the 20 minutes of cardio with heart rate in the 80-85 percent range completely. Walking your dogs, plus the weight lifting is more than enough exercise, especially since you are fatigued.

Carrots are okay, although sweet potato is probably a little better for a post-workout starchy carb energy replenishment food.

I think you are okay not eating a pre-workout meal.

Overall I would say take everything down a notch - intensity and expectations. My impression is that you are pushing hard and would benefit from slowing down a bit.

Thanks for the quick feedback. I guess I never really considered walking the dogs as exercise (more as necessity so they don't tear apart my house while I'm at work).

I will try incorporating the sweet potatoes post-workout and I will try to take my intensity down (which might be the hardest thing in this process so far!). When I feel good, I just want to push myself.

Thanks again! And I just checked out some of your recipes. I can't wait to try a few. I'm a huge fan of roasted Kabocha.

I guess I never really considered walking the dogs as exercise (more as necessity so they don't tear apart my house while I'm at work).

Me neither, and I couldn't figure out why I was always hungry! I had to re-train my brain about the dog walk, and back off some workouts. Worked for me. Best to you! :)

Archived