Question about Whole30, whole9 and choosing the best

Javagal78

I am very new to the forums so I apologize if this conversation has happened before. I wanted to clarify the idea that the Whole30 is just 30 days for a reason and what exactly does that mean/look like for you? I feel fantastic on the whole30 foods. Is it necessary to reintroduce foods on purpose? Obviously, it's not realistic to think that I will never have non paleo foods croos my lips but is it unrealistic to remain quite whole30 compliant on a regular basis and allow in non compliant foods only on very special occasions (weddings, birthdays)?

I guess I'm just looking for insights from those who have done the whole30 and remained successful ie. feeling optimal in health, energy and life and what has worked best. TIA for your insights!

I think the W30 is a minimum of 30 days because that's what most people need to clear the old stuff out of their systems and see improvements. You can continue for as long as you want, and you don't have to reintroduce anything. A lot of people do controlled reintroductions so they know exactly how certain foods will affect them. If you want to have gluten on occasion for example, but you don't realize that it makes you very ill in some manner...then maybe that first "special occasion" that comes along when you have a piece of cake, you could find yourself in an unfortunate position (if you get sick in public, or it spoils a vacation, etc). Not everyone has such strong reactions though (I didn't). My plan is to do exactly as you said long-term. I've been following W30 rules since January, minus some reintros and will continue to eat off-plan when I feel there's a special reason to. It's totally doable (for me).

For me, the whole30 is a reset button. I can choose what to reintroduce to learn how I feel and the impact of those less healthy foods. I have shared before that dairy makes me break out and get a stuffy nose, gluten makes me really hungry the next day, and wine makes me puffy :wacko: . I learned this week that gluten also turns me into a moody *itch and can cause significant mood swings.

My goal is to keep whole30 when I am in control of the food prep, except on special occasions when I bake, and then relax and consume less healthy foods when I am out and about. This reduces the stress over being "perfect". For example, I went out to dinner last night and got a salmon dish. I didn't stress about what might be in the glaze or the red potatoes on the plate. I also chose that dish because it had the salmon and kale and would taste great! There was also some carrot cake for dessert, which I would not have at home. I make an amazing carrot cake but it is a *hitload of work, and I am not going to do it unless I have a really good reason.

I also know there are slippery slopes for me...if I bring wine home, it becomes my mission to finish the bottle. Having guests over, and sharing food we all prepared, and then having the leftovers...it can lead to days of less healthy choices. I know I always have my whole"x" reset button and can eat squeaky clean, whole30 style, to get back on track.

I don't call it whole9, I call it living :).

I so hear you on the wine! I did an elimination diet last summer and when I reintroduced, I realized just how much wine is a slippery slope for me. One glass is a challenge, especially with one friend in particular. It leads me to snacks eating while drinking it ( hello cheese!) and sub par sleep so then the whole next day is affected.

Thanks for both replies. I appreciate your insights.

kb0426, we have gotten to the point that, if there is "unhealthy" food in the house after entertaining, and we can't convinced anyone to take it home, we simply throw it away. Yes, it seems wasteful--especially to someone raised by parents with a depression-era mentality toward throwing things out! But what's the point in keeping it/ eating it if it's not good for me? I check with everyone in the house first, then out it goes. Leaves more room in the fridge for the healthy stuff!

Archived