Prosciutto Pesto Fish

MrsStick

I was looking for a way to use up 3 pieces of prosciutto (was going to make Nom Nom Paleo's Roasted Asparagus with it, but the Asparagus was bad) and was planning on having fish for dinner. A few minutes on the internet and I found a recipe on the NYTimes.com site (can't paste the link here for some reason):

Whole 30 style:

1/2 cup fresh parsley

1/2 cup fresh basil

1/2 cup walnuts (can adjust to your taste; this is substituting for pine nuts for W30 goodness)

2 tbsp olive oil (adjusted for consistency)

Salt and black pepper as desired

4 fish filets of a white fish - halibut, cod, pangasius, etc.

2 to 3 oz thinly sliced prosciutto

2 tbsp ghee or coconut oil

Instructions:

Place first 4 ingredients in food processor until you make a basic pesto sauce (I just used a jar of pesto that has been in my fridge a while; I'm not doing a W30 right now so I didn't mind the pine nuts and parm. cheese in it).

Salt and pepper the fish filets if desired (I found that the prosciutto was plenty salty enough.

Lay the slices of prosciutto out and either overlap them if you have enough based on the number of slices available (fish scale style). Smear on pesto. Depending on the length of your prosciutto slices (mine weren't long enough), you will either wrap the prosciutto around your fish (the ends need to overlap enough on the far side that they will hold themselves shut) or they will eventually end up set on top.

If you are wrapping, then wrap the fish before putting them in the pan. If you aren't, then leave them until later.

In an oven-proof skillet, warm up the ghee or oil until hot. Place in the (wrapped or unwrapped) fish and cook for about 1 minute per side. Once both sides have been cooked, place the pan in a 450F-ish oven for 5-10 minutes or until cooked through.

Amazing. Salty. Savory. Delicious.

Archived