Post Whole30 and My Journey

It has been two days since the end of my Whole30 experience and it has been quite a ride. In order to make it easier, I'm breaking my experience down into parts as follows:

My Initial Goal

Prior to Whole30, I had been adopting a paleo style eating pattern for about a year or so. However, I had horrible sugar cravings that were borderline obsessive to me. This meant chocolate, ice cream, etc. It seemed like no matter how hard I tried, I would cave in just at the site of it. One of my biggest goals was to get that under control. Another goal of mine was to get rid of my midday adrenal fatigue issues. I was supplementing this with Red Bull and/or 5 Hour Energy shots. I did not want to be dependent on taking stuff like that and besides, it was only temporary. And finally, I wanted to lose a few pounds, just to break the plateau. I didn't really want to lose more than that in just 30 days anyway.

My Experiences

I started cold turkey on April 1st, the day after Easter. Looking back, I realize how terrible I was feeling the first couple weeks. However, at the time I thought I was doing great. I know now that it was because I didn't know any other way on how to feel. The only difference was that I was not supplementing my adrenal fatigue with Red Bulls or giving in to my cravings for ice cream. Ironically I had a bigger craving for whisky, which was not something that I was even drinking on a daily basis pre Whole30.

One of my biggest challenges was all the cooking I had to do. I have never had to cook three meals for 30 days in my life. It was a daunting task and I believe my grocery bill went up 50%. However, I didn't eat out or even go out drinking so I likely saved money by eating at home. Not only that, everything I was eating was healthy for me as well. By the last two weeks, I had gotten quite used to all the cooking and food and it no longer was a chore.

By the third week, my cravings were disappearing. My energy levels were going up. It was not until about the last 7 days that I noticed something strange….my adrenal fatigue had all but disappeared! I still have my morning coffees but I don't feel the need for an afternoon pick me up. My energy levels are higher than it ever has been. Getting up in the morning is no longer a chore. I even get up before the alarm clock even goes off now!

My Progress Numbers

Like I said, my goal was not primarily to lose weight. I was already at a weight that was good and I didn't want to lose too much weight in just 30 days. My pre Whole30 numbers are:

Weight: 182 lbs

Waist: 35â€

Hips: 38.25â€

Here are the post Whole30 numbers:

Weight: 171 lbs

Waist: 33.25â€

Hips: 37â€

My jaw just about hit the floor when I saw those numbers! I have not been at that weight or inches since my early 20s, quite possibly even my late teens! I'm not too worried about muscle loss since the inches lost speak for volumes. Plus I have been working out 3 to 4 times a week.

Post Whole30

It has been two days since I finished Whole30 and now is plus 2. The only difference is that I'm open for cheat meals but just haven't done it yet. I'm choosing not to do it without any effort. Not only that, I find that lunches at work taste quite bad compared to my wholesome cooked food. I feel that I'm at a point where I've gotten so used to doing this I no longer know how else to eat!

My goal now is actually to eat a bit more, especially protein. I'm working on putting more muscle on but will keep the fat off by eating mostly Whole30.

I'm pretty sure I will be giving this another go around at some point. One wonderful thing that happened during my 30 days was getting a promotion at work. However I have a daunting challenge ahead of me…adjusting to night shift. I worry about my sleep patterns being disrupted and throwing all this progress off. But I am determined and I will make it work!

Congrats on a very successful Whole30! You have a lot to be proud of - besides just completing the 30 days (and stretching it - show off!), you succeeded in the mammoth task of cooking your own meals and you learned a bit more about the personal connection between food, cravings and energy. Not to mention that your losses are impressive! Kudos, and best of luck in navigating the post-W30 world.

Congratulations!!! I appreciate the details of your post and always find stories like this very very encouraging. As I approach the mid-way point of my W30, I wonder about how I could ever go backwards. It is great to hear that you feel like this is a lifestyle change for you. Good luck in your transition to working nights!

Cassie, I like the way you described it as discovering a personal connection between food, craving, and energy because that is exactly what the whole experience is.

Kaiser, I remember being mid-way and realizing how far I've come. Little did I know that the ride was not almost over but rather just getting started!

Archived