Laura's Whole30 Log - Started 7/1/12

lauraska

Today was a good food day. I'm super nervous about this next week because we are going to the beach for a week with my father-in-law. He's not a very nice or supportive person and has already started making cracks about my Whole30. I know he's going to nag me to have a drink, or eat something off-plan, or make SOME comment about how I just need to stop this and just eat less/exercise more. And he's even more annoying when it comes to my son. I've been regretting that I agreed to do this trip for weeks now, but the Whole30 just makes it even more stressful. On the bright side, I'm can be a real stubborn b----, so I'll probably stay strictly on plan just for the added joy of pissing him off. :)

Breakfast - coffee with coconut milk, three eggs sunny side up with sweet potato chorizo hash.

Lunch - garden salad, roasted lamb, olive oil/white balsamic/lemon juice (my boss treated a few of us to lunch and actually went to a special place because she knew I'd be able to find something to eat - the office is now Whole30 redeemed!)

Dinner - I ate the salad I'd originally made for lunch - lettuce, chicken, blueberries, a few slices of pear, grape tomatoes, balsamic, olive oil

I'm so glad to hear today went so much better than the previous couple of days for you. How incredibly frustrating! I guess you are getting in some good experience on this "practice run" gearing up for the August W30, and I agree, you did the very best you could given the circumstances, and it was only a blip. So much of this is mental -- figuring out how to mold a plan that fits your own life and developing strategies for challenging situations. You're doing great :)

Took my son to a birthday party today that was at an ice cream shop...and I stayed on plan! Got to the beach around dinner time and was starving but made sure that my meal was Whole30-compliant.

Breakfast - coffee with coconut milk, three eggs sunny side up over roasted beets, squash, and brussel sprouts

Lunch - two hard boiled eggs, raw carrot sticks, mango

Dinner - burger (no bun) with pineapple & big salad w/oil and vinegar, 1/2 avocado

I read this post on my blackberry while I was still in bed this morning with only one eye (barely) open, and read "I strayed from plan" rather than "I stayed on plan" -- haha! I'm glad to hear you resisted the ice cream!

Confession time - I broke down and had a few french fries today. And I really do mean just a few. If you are a Whole30 nazi and reading this right now, I'm aware that I will not have a full 30 days of pureness and light. I'm okay with that. I plan on doing the official Whole30 starting on August 1 so I'm not too worried. Since this month was already slightly off kilter because of the "cheese accidents" from my work retreat, I'm just going to tow the line as best I can and then go whole hog on August 1. I'm on vacation and not drinking or eating dairy/sugar/grains. Cut me some slack.

Breakfast - We made breakfast at the rental house today, so I did very well. Coffee with coconut milk, stir fried ground turkey with spinach, mushrooms, and green pepper, three eggs sunny side up.

Lunch - The guys went to The Lobster House to get lunch and I was so excited that they had the option to get seafood broiled instead of breaded and fried! Broiled lobster tails/scallops/shrimp, 10 french fries, small salad.

Dinner - We grilled at the house. Big serving of salad and a steak.

I had ice cream today and it was delicious. I'll continue to try to stay on track as much as I can until the official Whole30 starts on August 1, but I refuse to feel guilty about enjoying a treat with my son on our vacation.

Breakfast - coffee with coconut milk, three eggs with turkey/pepper/spinach stir fry

Lunch - garden salad with chicken breast, balsamic and olive oil.

Dinner - Broiled scallops, steamed zucchini medley, garden salad with balsamic and olive oil. Coffee ice cream with caramel and fudge.

Thanks, Ann!

I forgot to post for yesterday...

Breakfast - We went out and had a buffet meal, so I just had eggs, fruit, and a bit of bacon (maybe not Whole30 compliant, but it was crispy and delicious.) They also had some sort of breaded fish, but the coating was crispy enough that I was able to peel it off and just eat the fish.

Lunch - Breakfast was so late that I didn't really eat a lunch. I had two hard boiled eggs, a bit of mango, and some carrot sticks mid-afternoon.

Dinner - More broiled scallops. I could eat them forever. Also had salad.

Had a couple drinks with dinner and instantly regretted it. I'd gone so long without drinking - even the slightest feeling of loss of control was uncomfortable for me. It did make at least one night of this vacation with my father in law a bit more tolerable, but I'll probably stay booze-free for the rest of the trip.

Breakfast - coffee with coconut milk, three eggs sunny side up with ground turkey/pepper/mushroom stirfry.

Lunch - big salad with balsamic vinegar and olive oil, 1/2 lb of sea scallops sauteed.

Dinner - 4 cherry stone clams, 1.5 lb lobster, house-made cole slaw, two gin and tonics.

So we are just one day away from this vacation being over. I'm sad to leave the beach because my son has enjoyed it SO much, but I'm incredibly happy to be rid of my father-in-law for a bit. He's asked a ton of questions about my "diet" (he refuses to acknowledge that it's not a diet no matter what I say) and none of them were framed in a way that sounded particularly supportive. Today, we ate a late lunch knowing that we were probably going to have a big dinner, but I couldn't go all day from breakfast to dinner without anything because I go a little batty when I'm really hungry. I got ordered a very simple garden salad with four slices of seared ahi from a local joint and he said, "I don't know how you think you're losing weight when you eat as much as you do." Now, I eat three normal-sized Whole30-compliant (mostly) meals with NO snacks. But I'm just pigging out, apparently! THEN he said, "If you really want to lose weight, you should go on the Scarsdale Diet. That is the only way to lose weight." A) I told him this wasn't totally about losing weight. He didn't get that either. B ) The Scarsdale Diet is a starvation diet where you eat less than 1,000 calories a day, much of which is grain or fruit. C) And pardon my french, here, but FUCK HIM. As I said on my FB, today, what the hell is it about the baby boomer generation and its constant need to give unsolicited advice and commentary to people who are clearly struggling with their weight. For a generation that was raised during the prim and proper era of the 50s, I find this attitude to be completely classless. Putting someone down for being heavy does nothing but make them continue the cycle of unhealthy behavior. Case in point - I had two more drinks at dinner tonight and didn't even really want them, because I just wanted him to shut up about me not drinking. ARGH.

Breakfast - western omelet, coffee with coconut milk

Lunch - garden salad with romaine, cucumber, green pepper, balsamic, olive oil, ginger, and seared ahi tuna.

Dinner - cherry stone clams, broiled seafood combo (crab cake, flounder, scallops, shrimp), a few bites of baked potato, a few bites of coleslaw.

I'm so glad this is the last day of this vacation. I'm angry that I wasted a week of vacation time to spend the week with my jerkoff father in law, but it was partially worth it to see my adorable son enjoy the beach, dance his little butt off, and generally be his amazingly adorable self. But I feel like I've harbored a lot of anger and stress this week as I endure my FIL's verbal abuse and that can't possibly be good for me, physically. I can't wait to be back in Philly, in our own house, without him up my ass, so that I can get back to Whole30 perfection and lower the heartrate a little.

Breakfast - coffee black, omelet with lobster, crab, and avocado, sliced tomato

Lunch - salad with arugula, tomatoes, shaved fennel, grilled salmon, and green goddess dressing (probably not Whole-30 compliant but it was takeout, I did ask for olive oil and vinegar on the side, but it came with the regular dressing already on top.)

Dinner - prime rib special - one big piece of prime rib, stewed tomatoes, and broiled asparagus. One pina colada.

Oh happy day, we're home! I have a cat on my lap, a sleeping baby, and NO father in law in sight. It's amazing how easy it was to stay on track without that stress around me, today.

Breakfast - black coffee, two fried eggs, two strips of bacon, sliced mango

Lunch - big salad with sliced apricots, plums, walnuts, and two fried eggs. (Was supposed to have a turkey burger on top but we got home and it was missing!)

Dinner - Whole30-compliant bratwurst, marinated & grilled eggplant and pattypan sausage (marinated in salt, pepper, garlic, cumin, lime juice, vinegar, and olive oil)

Dessert - cherries and banana with coconut milk and flakes

Well here we are. The final day of my first Whole30. It was not perfect, though. Technically I should have started over, but as far as what I thought I'd actually accomplish during this month, I got considerably farther than I'd originally envisioned I would. As a pretty type-A goal-driven person, I'm psyched to outdo myself in August by having a flawless 30 days.

I made sure my last day was Whole30 perfection!

Breakfast - cold brewed coffee with coconut milk, three eggs sunny side up over chorizo sweet potato hash.

Mid-morning - avoided apple pie, ice cream, and whipped cream at a work party by just having some fresh berries.

Lunch - spinach salad with grilled peaches, almonds, and homemade olive oil/mustard/red wine vinegar dressing plus a few slices of leftover sirloin from last night

Dinner - beef red curry with onions, peppers, broccoli, and carrots

Archived