Tiff's whole30 log :)

Tiffany P

A log you say? Others will see it which will help with accountability you say? Thank You God!

So here is the thing, I workout at two different Crossfit gyms. One right by my house during the week, have been a member for two years, and I love them dearly. And one just on Saturdays or any random day off, which is across town but the owner was my trainer through my first year and a half of Crossfit and he is amazing. Naturally, it is my once per week gym that has initiated the Whole30 challenge. So my daily workout peeps aren't part of the shenanigans! Darn it! HELLO forum log.

Feeling a little wonky today, day 3, and considering what I have been eating the last several weeks this doesn't shock me. I have a well documented jelly bean addiction, and ate amazing deep dish pizza in Chicago last weekend. I plan to walk on my lunch break, to stretch my legs and clear my head, and then WOD tonight after work.

Didn't feel hungry when I woke up, so breakfast was a cup of decaf coffee with a shake of cinnamon.

Lunch is leftover shephard's pie - aka clean out the crisper casserole. Has grassfed beef, two kinds of mushrooms, spinach, trio of bell peppers, onions and - of course - the mashed cauliflower top! And an organic apple.

dinner is TBD...

last night was ugly, not gonna lie. I had a massive headache, no energy, and went from 'I'm good' to 'I'm effing starving' in what seemed like a blink of the eye. As a result, dinner was a hideous mashup of foods I munched on while cooking other foods. I ate the last of the almonds [thank God, no self control there] I ate the crispy sugar-free bacon ends I had rendered the fat out of to cook up my brussel sprouts and broccoli, ate the brussel sprouts when they were still too darned hot...uhm....what else. Nope, that's it. Terrible.

BUT. Today I woke up feeling totally different than the last few mornings. I had enough energy to hit my 6am WOD!! Maybe not the strongest showing ever, but I was there and I got her done.

Breakfast/snack post wod: black coffee w/ cinnamon, 5 figs. Breakfast when I got to work [about an hour later]: carmelized onion frittata

Lunch: pure wrap with lettuce, chicken breast, avocado. Brussel sprout chips. pear.

dinner plan: jalepeno bison burger w/ sliced avocado and tomato, broccoli, grilled zucchini

So it looks like you ate "loads" (to you!) for dinner, but then felt great this morning. So you need to re-adjust your portions sizes to what your body needs rather than what you think is right?

Your menu sounds delicous btw :)

HAhahaha! It was at least a half a cup of almonds while I was cooking. I was more concerned about the lack of lean protein than anything, and am thoroughly shocked to feel good this morning. Maybe the sugar detox is complete?

pretty sure USAir has nonstop Dublin to Charlotte....you're welcome for dinner :D

sorry, just spent all my extra money on grassfed meat and sugar free bacon ;)

so thing I learned the hard way today: Purewraps do NOT hold up well. Here is how lunch prep went down - pure wrap, romaine lettuce leaf, guacamole, sliced chicken. Rolled up and stuck in a baggie at 5:30am. I thought the lettuce would protect the wrap until 12. NOPE. Big fail, big mess, lesson learned!! silly...

last night did not turn out as originally planned. Chiropractor was 30 minutes behind schedule, then I somehow [wink] got suckered into another workout with some friends, didn't get home until 8pm. At that point I was too hungry to start prepping a dinner that wouldn't have been ready RIGHT then.

So I made another lettuce wrap with chicken breast and homemade guac. and then maybe fell victim to the almond butter. Not a total, no holds barred, victim. Just a wee little one :)

I slept eight hours last night, but still had a hard time getting up this morning! I think maybe I didn't eat enough for dinner last night. or perhaps it is just my body still adjusting to being this clean. I decided to add some canned coconut milk to this morning's coffee to get a little healthy fat in early. Hoping that helps keep me satiated until lunch!

I'm nervous about the weekend. Sunday afternoon is usually my "cheat time" where I eat something naughty while prepping the paleo food for the week. Oh, and I get my meat CSA delivery tomorrow! Always an adventure to receive ten pounds of mystery meats. Last month's chicken wings are still in the freezer, as are the lamb rib chops...never figured out what to do with them.

oh, totally forgot to include yesterday's workouts!

6am: squat challenge [back squat 20 @45#]

Isabel : 30 power snatch @ 50#

6:45pm: Annie - 50-40-30-20-10 double unders and abmat sit ups. I crushed this...PR'd by nearly 3 minutes!

7:30pm: sucker wod - 8 min amrap - 5 handstand push up, 10 GHD sit ups, 15 walking lunges w/ 25# plate overhead

yeah...that last one was dumb. We were all just hanging around, cheering on the late exercise folks during their Isabel work. Someone had an idea, next thing you know, there are four of us knuckleheads giving it a whirl.

day 7... struggling today, as fully expected. Managed to go out with friends Friday and Saturday nights and drink club soda with lime and keep on track. But for some reason, today I have a crazy sugar craving! I had a couple figs with my lunch, but that doesn't seem to have helped at all :(

I made the garlic and jalepeno bison burgers from Make it Paleo yesterday for lunch. Oh my goodness, are those delicious. Topped with sundried tomatoes and homemade guacamole. They were so good I had leftovers for dinner before heading out to the bar! Breakfast was a blended concoction of a pitted date, coffee, and canned coconut milk to make a frothy coffee drink. I have a long standing tradition of allowing myself a starbucks drink on the weekends, so this was my at home version. Also cooked up a couple of slices of sugar free bacon to complete my weekend breakfast noms.

Picked up my monthly meat CSA bundle. Couple pounds of ground beef, a whole chicken, two chicken quarters [dark meat], pork chops, pork shoulder and a strip steak. All grassfed / pastured, hormone free critters. It's going to be a tasty next three weeks!

workout Friday was Kelly - litterally had to roll out of bed Saturday and Sunday. ouch...so all I did Saturday was an hour of mobility! Foam roller, tennis ball and bands...oh my.

Energy level is pretty good! I'm looking forward to a more normal workout schedule this week now that the headaches have passed. Now I'm off to do chores or something to distract me from the overwhelming desire to eat candy. Urgh...

well...last night was a mess. I wasn't at all tired...think I maybe squeaked in five hours of sleep? And I'm a minimum 8 hours kinda girl. Like, nobody likes me when I'm sleep deprived, wake me in the middle of the night at your own peril, kinda girl. I've had one cup of coffee today and so far feel ok, but Mondays are my long days so fingers crossed I don't crash halfway through.

Made nomnompaleo's slow cooker chicken and gravy last night...I think this is my new favorite way to cook pastured chicken. The little boogers tend to dry out when roasted, but this one was freaking delicious! With a massive side of roasted broccoli, I was a happy camper.

I've seen other folks post about how their stomach is perfectly flat after the first week, I'm experiencing the opposite...and I don't like it! Actually, it kinda grosses me out...all spare tire squishy through the middle. *gag* But it is only day 8, so I'm just going to keep on keepin' on with an extra eye now on how much sea salt I'm putting in my foods. I wonder if I'm over salting as I cook and am therefore consuming too much sodium.

Food today:

Breakfast - coffee with coconut milk, leftover bison burger and brussel sprouts, four figs

Lunch - leftover chicken w gravy, broccoli and strawberries.

pre-ride snack - jerky and a pear

Exercise today:

Mondays are a smidge different. I am a horseback rider, so I don't WOD in the AM to avoid stiffness in my lessons. So I will jog / walk depending on my energy level at lunch. Then tonight I will have a riding lesson.

fingers crossed for sleep and a disappearing muffin top ;)

quick recap of yesterday - "dinner" when I got home late was almond butter. Go ahead, shake your head at me, I know...

today the effects of no sleep Sunday are catching up to me. I'm not feeling so energetic. Once again last night could not fall asleep, despite turning off the television and reading a little before turning out the light. When the alarm went off, it was like some sort of cruel joke.

breakfast: bacon, eggs, coffee with coconut milk and cinnamon

lunch: farmer's pie - with beef, bell peppers, mushrooms, onions. Organic strawberries

I'm still feeling squishy and gross, but the energy has left the building. le sigh.

oh Deb, do not be fooled. It just looks like a lot because I basically tried to make up for a week off all in two days :)

So on average, over seven days: 4 wods, two runs, and 1 riding lesson per week. On the off chance our gym has an endurance wod scheduled at a time I can make it, I'll toss that in too. I have found that if there isn't some sort of physical exertion in my day, my sleep [and sanity] suffer. And since my job is...shall we say...lame...I find I need the mental stimulation of the Crossfit atmosphere most days.

keep up the great work!

well, I cannot tell a lie, I fell of the wagon yesterday. I'll admit, 9 days is the longest I've ever made it, but why I caved in to the sugar monster I don't know. Boredom, maybe? My generic 'my job is lame' comment can be expanded: I spent nine hours surfing the internet yesterday because I had nothing to do. I work for a small company, in a job that was created to fulfill a perceived need, and six months in I have just as little to work on as I did on day 1.

So I have to start over! Fine...today is day 1 again. No sense beating myself up about it. I'm just over here riding my own bike, so to speak. Only my bike has those fancy clip in shoes, and the light turned red, and I forgot how to unclip.

for the record: it wasn't worth it, and I feel like poo.

workout yesterday, slowed by sugar:

50 abmats

50 double unders

50 abmats

50 walking lunges

50 abmats

50 burpees

50 abmats

time of 17:44 - burpees are my downfall!

all regrouped and ready to go! Had a bit of a scheduling SNAFU with my food when the shoulder roast I took out of the freezer Sunday night still wasn't thawed last night. Luckily for me, there were still some frozen portions of meals from weeks prior in the freezer for today and tomorrow's lunches.

Breakfast: chicken and broccoli, coffee with coconut milk

Lunch: farmer's pie - last week's version has grassfed beef, pastured pork sausage, yellow orange and red bell peppers, spinach, cremini mushrooms, carrots, onions and the cauliflower "crust" on top. I'm not kidding when I say I clean out the crisper to make this stuff!

snack: hardboiled egg, avocado, strawberries

dinner will be light since I have another riding lesson tonight. I don't eat a whole lot when I get home after 9pm

so the snack was dinner last night. Just wasn't hungry when I finally got home!

ok, so I need to establish some sort of routine in my days. My workouts are all over the place, which results in varied sleep times because evening workouts leave me wired. And if I'm wired I can't sleep. And if I can't sleep I don't wake up for the 6am class...you see the pickle.

today, in all it's glory as a Friday:

Breakfast - hardboiled egg, figs, coffee w/coconut milk and cinnamon

Lunch - roast chicken, avocado, strawberries

in case of emergency snacks - hard boiled eggs [2], beef snack stick, figs

Tomorrow is going to be busy, with a horse show all day and then a paleo potluck at the gym! I'm really excited to check out everyone's whole 30 dishes at the potluck. Always nice to have someone else contribute to the cooking :)

no worries about falling off the wagon. at least you hopped right back on. i was doing this with two friends from high school and one of them jumped right off over the weekend and hasn't even gotten close to getting back and doesn't plan on it. good for you for going back. the other friend actually lives in charlotte and i'm trying to convince her to join a CF down there. she LOVES whole30.

ooh, what part of Charlotte? As you can see from my photo, we have lots of fun at Crossfit Steele Creek [there may have been beer during that St. Patty's day WOD...] but the whole30 challenge I'm doing is with Crossfit Weddington.

We litterally have something like 15 affiliates here...there is something for everyone!

Sorry your friend didn't get back on the wagon :( but at least you had a spare, hahaha! And thank you for the encouragement!

Survived the weekend! Had an amazing Whole30 potluck at the gym on Saturday evening. Had a great convo with one of the trainers about how amazing food tastes when you only use two or three high quality ingredients vs. the way we all ate before discovering paleo and/or whole30. What particularly impressed me was each dish was different. No two families brought the same thing... of course, we all know how diverse and delicious food can be with this lifestyle, but how many of us have friends and family that think our way of life sounds boring? I always want to slap people that say "I could never do that, I like food" so frustrating.

should have taken a picture of my plate, but a brief recap: sausage and peppers, cauliflower mash, zucchini cake, strawberries, toasted almond slaw, bacon wrapped dates, kale chips, coconut-date balls [oh, so many immature jokes came from those] all accompanied by a La Croix sparkling lime water.

there were so many dishes I didn't try, and I was a little light on protein but that was due to my day starting protein heavy and veggie light. Eight hours on my feet in the sun at a horse show, grooming for my trainer, reading tests for our riders, and acquiring an amazing farmer's sunburn. I was full of energy all day, snacking on some jerky and mac nuts...but by the time I was clean and radiating heat from my lobster red spots all I wanted was veggies!!

Sunday was cold and rainy. My biggest accomplishment was convincing my AC repair guy to try Crossfit [i'm such a dork] but I stayed home, did some reading, took a nap to conserve energy on Earth Day, did a little cooking. I have a mountain of pulled pork in my fridge for this week courtesy of NomNom Paleo's slow cooker kalua pork recipe. I've made this three times, and if you haven't tried it yet - DO IT!

SO here we go kids, another Monday. Let's get this party started

yesterday turned into a cold, blustery day...highly unusual for this late in April in NC. So I got coffee at lunchtime. As I was pulling into the starbucks parking lot the name of the store next to it triggered something in my mind, so I popped in. Sure enough, despite their website saying there was no retailer within 25 miles of my office, there were shelves and shelves of Now Foods supplements! Finally, I can give those Super Enzymes a shot!!! I'll let you know how that goes ;)

Yesterday was not a banner day since it was the first day of my cycle [sorry guys...] which notoriously is a day I'm dysfunctional. I ate, at random times and in no particular order, an apple, kalua pork wraps with avocado, cascadian farms winter squash puree, homemade sweet potato fries w/ cinnamon, coffee, and broccoli. Like I said, dysfunctional. As such, I stayed out of the gym but did have a riding lesson.

Back on the normal bus today! Breakfast was figs, coffee with coconut milk and cinnamon, and a couple pieces of bacon. Okay, that is still sort of random...but the eggs just weren't calling my name and I didn't have a lot of time on my hands.

lunch/snack foods currently in my desk drawer: cascadian farms winter squash puree, kalua pork and avocado to put in improveat pure wraps, organic apple, roasted broccoli

it's Tuesday two-a-day!

Lunchtime I'll hit the globo gym for a 20 minute run, 20 back squats @ 60# and lots of stretching then afterwork to the box for the WOD: 800m run, 30 kb swings @1.5pood, 25 supermans, 20 burpees, 800m run

I'm going to try for the 1.5 pood today, because I can crank out some kb swings...time to push myself. It's only 30, right? right.

last night turned out completely differently than anticipated...but that happens more often than not. Never ate my snack of puree squash, didn't get hungry for it before leaving work. Got to the gym, did my 20 back squats @60# for the squat challenge. Then the owner challenged me to an "Annie-off" He and I used to share the dubious honor of worst double unders in the gym. Folks would litterally hang around to watch the display and laugh, so we thought it would be fun to see how far we have come! I lost, but PR'd despite having some coordination issues after the first 42 double unders went unbroken. Also rubbed a raw spot between my shoulder blades doing abmats. hate that! Then I ran a mile with a couple of ladies who had worked out earlier, then ran another 800 with a friend who was finishing up the regular WOD to keep her company.

Dinner was more leftover pork with avocado, and a couple of dates with pecans.

Today's breakfast was two eggs, figs, coffee with coconut milk.

Lunch is TBD - i need to pop over to the grocery to pick up some travel friendly foods for my trip this coming weekend. The grocery by work is much better than near home, so I frequently pop in there during the week to pick up various organic items. Probably will have a salad bar lunch! I don't do salads for lunch very often, because I like a hot lunch, but today it just sounds really tasty.

I really do feel great at this point. Although I have no idea what day I am on. If I hadn't had the bump in the road it would be day 17, but I think it is really day...er...8?

Archived