Holiday away...

Megan

I am on Day 12 of my Whole30 and have been successful, I've had little to no cravings or difficult situations as yet and have found all advice and strategies to be relevant and useful to my experience. I've eaten out with friends and braved the temptation of going to the cinema with the smell of popcorn everywhere. One thing I have gained is the importance of planning meals and planning ahead... So I've started thinking about my re-introduction phase. My plan is to re-introduce some dairy, and the occasional natural sweetener and the very rare serve of spaghetti. All of this of course will depend upon and be related to how I feel during the re-introduction phase. I may end up not re-introducing any of these things. I feel so good at the moment, I would not want to mess with how I'm feeling! My question is around a holiday I have scheduled just under a month after I've completed the Whole30 and I'd like some advice, or examples on how to resist the temptations a holiday can bring. As I'm writing this I find that I'm getting my own answer... Relax - Use strategies from Whole30 - Listen to my own body - And enjoy my holiday... Does anyone else have any suggestions? Thanks.

During my W30, I spent a weekend each in Cologne, Germany, and Nice, France. I made it through pretty unscathed despite not having researched anywhere to eat ahead of time in either.

I used what you wrote above, and decided not to sweat it. I found the most compliant thing I could and picked out the non-compliant bits (beans in my cassoulet, for instance). I cooked my own breakfast (eggs since I had a kitchen in France with fruit, apple dipped in almond butter in Cologne). It can be done, just be mindful and don't sweat the little stuff. Was the package of turkey chunks I bought at the grocery store to put on my salad compliant? There was probably a very small amount of sugar or something in it. But it was a dry salad with turkey chunks. Given the scale on which it wasn't compliant, who cares? Traveling does generally require a little bit of letting go.

Archived