Not strictly W30, but heavy cream?

I realize cream is not strictly Whole 30 compliant, but I'm still considering myself in the post-W30 phase (gearing up for another after this baby is born, yeah!)

So high-fat dairy really seems to be okay for me. I eat butter, non-clarified, and have seen no ill effects. So I'd love to be able to use some heavy cream from time to time, but EVERY BRAND in my local grocery stores has carageenan in it. Even the organic brands! Why??? There is one store brand of half-and-half that is free of it, but all the creams have it, and I was hoping for something with more fat than half-and-half.

Why, why, why do they put that grossness in cream, and does anyone know of a national brand that doesn't use it? Maybe I can call some stores that I don't normally venture to and ask if they stock a specific brand. I'd feel kind of weird calling and asking them to check all their heavy creams for added ingredients though... :P

Would this product satisfy what you're looking for?  http://www.organicvalley.coop/products/cream/heavy-whipping-cream/

Also, are you looking for something to put in coffee, to bake with, or both?

I substituted coconut milk for heavy cream in a frittata recipe and it worked beautifully.  I wonder if coconut milk (canned, without any sulfites or other nasties) would work for you?

Ooh, thanks, that Organic Valley looks like it would be right.

It would be for savory applications - added to sauces and veggies and the like. Coconut milk/cream isn't going to work because I'm one of those weirdos who doesn't like it. ;) Rather, I like it with fruit or sweet applications, but coconut + meat tastes horrible to me!

I realize cream is not strictly Whole 30 compliant, but I'm still considering myself in the post-W30 phase (gearing up for another after this baby is born, yeah!)

So high-fat dairy really seems to be okay for me. I eat butter, non-clarified, and have seen no ill effects. So I'd love to be able to use some heavy cream from time to time, but EVERY BRAND in my local grocery stores has carageenan in it. Even the organic brands! Why??? There is one store brand of half-and-half that is free of it, but all the creams have it, and I was hoping for something with more fat than half-and-half.

Why, why, why do they put that grossness in cream, and does anyone know of a national brand that doesn't use it? Maybe I can call some stores that I don't normally venture to and ask if they stock a specific brand. I'd feel kind of weird calling and asking them to check all their heavy creams for added ingredients though... :P

I can get Kalona brand here which doesn't have carageenan.  Try asking your favorite grocer to carry some and let them know they should market it as additive free to attract buyers.

http://www.cornucopia.org/shopping-guide-to-avoiding-organic-foods-with-carrageenan/

Ohhhh Kalona. Coming from a born and raised Wisconsinite, they make some of the best dairy I've had (excluding locally-sourced). Their sour cream? Or cottage cheese? Mmmm.

Do you still live in WI?  I am in the Milwaukee area.

Archived