Beef Jerky

Kirsteen

I'd really love to try beef jerky but am beginning to think that here in the UK, it's a lost cause. Obviously all the ones in the supermarkets are no good - long list of unpronouncable icky added ingredients. I've spent a whole morning googling for online suppliers. There are quite a few but none seem to list their ingredients. I've emailed as many as I can find but, so far, they all seem to include either soy sauce or sugar.

Does anyone know a good supply of jerky here in the UK?

Thanks Derval. I came across billtong when I was looking for jerky, I'd never heard of it before I don't suppose you know any online suppliers whose meat is W30 compliant. A lot don't list their ingredients or just say it's a family spice recipe but those who do all seem to include either sugar or soy sauce. No one yet has replied to me with meat that's free of that :(

Failing that, my next question is how do you make it. I have an excalibur dehydrator so I feel it should be possible I've just no clue how to do it.

thanks again

Waitrose sell beef jerky (billtong) that has nothing but salt and spices added, can't remember the brand I'm afraid - but having just come back from south africa I have realised how relatively expensive it is! It is good for an on the go snack though that keeps fit ages.

Hi Daisy. thanks for this. I'd checked Waitrose but I'd typed in Jerky which they didn't recognise. I've just checked its Biltong and the second ingredient is Barley Malt Vinegar. I didn't think that was allowed? That's the only one they sell, at least up here in Glasgow.

I was going to order from Grassfed Gourmet, their postage is extremely reasonable and the email i received was so friendly and helpful. However I've since discovered that it's illegal to import or bring in meat or animal products from outside the EU unless it's from Croatia, the Faroe Islands, Greenland or Iceland. Why these countries, I have no idea but that's what it says on the Customs & Excise website ;)

I mean I can live without jerky - it's obviously not a deal breaker but i would have so liked to try it.

Ok, I have coconut aminos - I got them from a seller on Ebay. I was thinking of trying this recipe http://www.marksdailyapple.com/how-to-make-your-own-jerky/#axzz26dFqWA2c minus the Worcestershire sauce of course or do you have a recipe you use? I'm also not sure what cut of meat to go for as I don't recognise the 2 he mentions. I'm also not at all sure I'll manage to cut it properly as I'm a total hamfisted klutz but I'll try my best.

The dehydrator is a hangover from my days as a raw vegan. Previosly I could dehydrate any vegeatable, fruit, raw cracker, bread or cookie you name - but meat - that's an unknown quantity :)

On the plus side, I met a lovely woman at the farmers market yesterday whose beef is all grass fed. Unfortunately the market won't be back for 3 weeks but she gave me her number and if I phone her the day before she'll bring any specific cut I ask for, including as many bones as i want for broth - Yeah

Cool, good luck with it! I'd love a dehydrator - an expensive piece of kit!

You could also experiment with different meats like venison...

I often check out the "reduced to clear" fridge in supermarket for my jerky meat (obv make it asap!)

Archived