Indigestion while I am taking prilosec (proton pump inhibitor)

I've been on prilosec for about 8-10 years now for my acid reflux.  Last June I started developing a "lump in the throat" feeling.  I tried some diet changes but nothing really helped.  I got an upper endoscopy in November and they did find significant swelling in my throat but nothing super dangerous according to the tests.  I saw a nutritionist and I told her about the Whole 30 (which was recommended to me by a friend).  So, she suggested I try it.  I'm 6 days in and I've been having more indigestion (and burping) than before I started the Whole 30.  Before this my only symptom was the lump feeling in the throat.

Now my friend who recommended the Whole 30 to me said that she takes HCL supplements on the Whole 30 since she's eating so much meat.  Well, if I'm taking a proton pump inhibitor like Prilosec already should I be taking HCL?

My goal is to eventually get off of prilosec and such, but its so hard.  Any suggestions out there?

• Moderators

I would speak to your doctor or nutritionist about taking conflicting supplements. I'm not well versed in these types of drugs/supplements.

What I CAN suggest tho is that you post what you've been eating (meal times, portion sizes, fluid intake) and we can have a look at your foods and see if there's anything in there that might be causing more heartburn than is strictly necessary.

I've eliminated most things that normally cause reflux. My meals have consisted of: sweet potatoes, potatoes, eggs (I'm stopping these starting tomorrow since I know they can contribute to acid reflux), fish (Cod), chicken, beef, peppers (cooked and raw), carrots, cooked onions, cooked mushrooms, cauliflower, avocado, apples (raw), cashews. We have used almond flower, light olive oil and that clarified butter for cooking. I think that's mostly everything.

Maybe try consulting your pharmacist. My reflux also increased during the first 2 weeks of my Whole30, but eased off in the third week. I suspected the change in diet (i.e. no sugar, dairy, wheat) and the increase in water. Just a thought. Cheers

Make sure you get advice from someone qualified, some drugs need to be weaned or tapered off, regardless of whether a new one is added.

Some PPIs can also cause a rebound effect (not sure if Prilosec is one of these) when you go off them, so if your doctor or pharmacist doesn't know what that is, get another opinion as you could get really sick. HCL has some conditions it shouldn't be taken with, so get professional advice.

If you think you have low stomach acid, drinking less liquids with meals may help, more liquid dilutes stomach acid.

Some things trigger reflux and other things just make it feel worse (like peppers and chilli, both nightshades), but you really want to see if you can fix it.

If you haven't read this, I recommend a read as it talks about the theories and treatments of GERD

http://chriskresser.com/what-everybody-ought-to-know-but-doesnt-about-heartburn-gerd/

A fairly simple test you can do on yourself (I'd try it over at least a full day) is to avoid liquids with meals (still drink outside of meals, just not when it's doing the most digestion).

If you feel worse, try it the other way, with more liquids at meals.

If more liquid is better, you may have too much acid.

If less liquid is better, you may not have enough.

Even once you know, still get advice from a doctor as products like HCL can also cause damage if your existing health isn't taken into account.

I had similar issues and got scared by the recent info on PPI drugs and kidney function. What works for me is taking a teaspoon of Braggs apple cider vinegar in water with a bit of pomegranate juice right after eating. Also. I have found that Neem Base which is basically like Tums but you don't have to chew, eliminated the reflux and has enabled me to get off of Prilosec. I have only been able to buy it through my naturopath. There is also a Boiron homeopathic called Acidil that works for me. These are only things I have used, not recommendations for anyone else.

Archived