Canadians doing Whole30

Nemo

On Day 3 and feeling better everyday but a ways to go for sure. Had a good workout yesterday. I didn't think I would have enough energy but it was good, thanks to the pre & postWO snacks, those are very important. The upcoming weekend is going to be difficult but doable. I just find it hard to remember to drink enough water and eat on schedule. Work is much easier because its more structured and I only eat what I bring and water is easy. How is everyone doing so far?

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

On Day 4 and I think I am feeling some sugar/caffeine withdrawal, I have a bad headache and feeling a little off, nothing I can't handle so far though. Making sure I drink enough water and eat my full template meals.  Glad its Friday, Chicken Thai Soup for supper tonight and an early night for plenty of rest. I have a list of things to do on the weekend if I get tempted by food or drink, keeping busy is the key for me. Have a good weekend! :D 

On day 5 and last night was the worst, had a splitting headache, I broke down and took some tylenol. Today I feel better, went to a workout this morning, not the best but glad I went. I feel like I'm over the worst, tomorrow will be better. Hope everyone is hanging in there!

I missed posting yesterday but still staying strong and best of all my headache is complete gone.  On to Day 7 now. Did my food prep yesterday, made a slow cooker recipe from Nom Nom Paleo: beef shanks, cabbage, carrots, tomatoes, it was very good with leftovers that I think I'll make into a cabbage soup paired up with protein & fat. Also made a salad, mayo & grilled a bunch of chicken breast. Took it easy on the food prep so I could relax more so I bought some frozen veggies & baker potatoes for fast food prep during the week. Going to the gym today after work, feeling pretty good today so far.

On 1/7/2017 at 6:06 PM, kruddock said:

On day 5 and last night was the worst, had a splitting headache, I broke down and took some tylenol. 

I had to do the same thing during my 2nd round of whole30. I think there were some atmospheric influences at play making it an even more oppressive headache. It was so awful I couldn't even think straight. Once I took the advil I was back to feeling okay. I'm glad you evaluated your needs and did what was best for you. Whole30 isn't always fun, but it shouldn't be painful. 

Awesome work hitting the gym so much! Is that something you did prior to Whole30?

Hi All- I'm on day 8 here and doing fine. 
My goal this week is 3 hours of exercise and I earned 1.5 of those cross country skiing yesterday! Came home and whipped up the Sausage, Potato and Kale Soup from the new Whole30 cookbook. It is delicious! I used Jamie Oliver sausages from Sobeys to save some time.  

How is everyone else doing?  What was your favourite meal last week?

2 hours ago, VivaLaMeredith said:

I had to do the same thing during my 2nd round of whole30. I think there were some atmospheric influences at play making it an even more oppressive headache. It was so awful I couldn't even think straight. Once I took the advil I was back to feeling okay. I'm glad you evaluated your needs and did what was best for you. Whole30 isn't always fun, but it shouldn't be painful. 

Awesome work hitting the gym so much! Is that something you did prior to Whole30?

Almost every time I have done the Whole30, in the first week I get a headache, this time it was worse because I am eliminating coffee this time to see if it makes a difference in my energy levels and sleep patterns. The mods always recommend Tylenol as the best option, I held out as long as I could though. I go to Crossfit at least 3 times a week which I have always done, but in the first week of Whole30 I always have to ease off on the intensity. I also do a lot of walking back and forth to work and home from the train station, so in total I walk at least 45min/day M-F.

On Day 8, not a great sleep last night, probably because of my workout and forgetting to take my natural calm. A little tired this morning, but hanging in there. Will try to get a better sleep tonight. The worst is over, week 1 gone, onto week 2! :)

Day 9 is my best day so far.  I felt full of energy this morning and hoping it keeps up for the day.  I had a good breakfast and just eating my lunch so I am hopeful.  I made the salmon cakes from Wellfed 2 yesterday evening and they were awesomely delicious. I will definitely be making them again on the weekend, I will also try making them with tuna.  Have a lovely day everyone! :D 

Day 10 for me and so far so good.  I've had difficulty falling asleep a few nights last week but last night improved.  Fingers crossed for tonight.  Went to dinner with friends Monday night and did well.  Focused on the people around the table instead of what I couldn't have on the menu.  Passed on the bread and wine without any tears, lol!  Next week the girlfriends are planning a movie night.  Bring it on!

Good job Nemo! I'm on Day 10 also. I'm feeling pretty good too.  Last night wasn't so great though, I had a good workout but afterward had some wicked stomach pains, tried an Epsom salt bath, had to take Tylenol and went to bed early,  I had my pre & postWO snacks but could not manage M3 (I have never skipped a meal on Whole30!).  Since I am feeling so good today, I think I might have overdid the workout, I did a lot of ab situps & planks, I will have to watch that in future.  Back on track today! :) 

Everyone sounds like they are doing just great! Good to see (read). I have been mildly amused that this seems easy & natural to me, but when I'm not officially doing a W30, snacks are a serious temptation. I think I have figured out why though... when "off" the official W30 I am not as diligent about filling up on fats & vegs. So that will be my Step One after this round.

Today I was at an employer-led training session. Lunch provided. A couple of the managers are celiac, so accommodating me probably would have been easy. However, I decided not to ask, and just packed my own lunch. The Big Boss (& owner) noticed. "Didn't you get the memo?" (Me: It all looks great, thanks, but I figured it was just easier for me to be sure I could avoid the things I need to avoid. No worries.) BB: "Wheat? Dairy?" (Me: Yeah, like that.) BB: "Well, grab some salad & just fill up on dessert!" (Me: Thank you! <as I eye the platters of squares & cakes>)..... FUNNY! Just because his two seconds-in-command are celiac, he "gets" that people have sensitivities, but obviously doesn't really understand it, since wheat must only be in the bread, right? :D 

Almost finished "The Hardest Days"! Go us.

On day 12, started the day off with a good breakfast, eggs, veggies & hashbrowns + mayo, went to CrossFit + postWO was 1/2 tuna cake, grocery shopping for the week, lunch was a salad, oil/vinegar, tuna cake , 2 boiled eggs & mayo and kombucha. So far so good, hope everyone is having a good weekend! :D

just discovered this forum and I'm on day 10!  I'm in Ontario and am trucking along! Luckily I have the support of my husband and kids while on the W30, the awareness that reading labels has given us has been a huge eye opener. The restrictions have been challenging but I didn't expect changing 40 years of unhealthy habits would be easy. Food freedom IS happening!

Doing my first Whole30 in Vernon British Columbia.  I've stuck with it but I am tired of having no life outside of working and spending all remaining time cooking whole30 compliant meals. It take hours especially living where there are no options to supplement with compliant restaurant foods.  We've continued to turn down offers from friends to come for dinner as nothing will be compliant.  I did go once and ate the carrot sticks they provided while everyone else had their meal and wine.  It sounds negative but the social isolation is getting me down.  Missing another fun lunch right now because none of the whole being served is compliant and the kind hosts could not make the dishes so. Anyone else experience this?  I'm also stressed as I do have a working lunch to attend this week and other than a bowl of lettuce and a glass of water I don't envision being able to eat anything else on the menu.

When I have luncheons at work I bring my own and most times people like what I have than what's being served.  I've been out to dinner twice this week and I've had salad with protein added.  Not as great as what others are having but at least I get to enjoy the socializing and I know once I finish the reset I'll be to have those foods if I choose to.  Remember - it's only 30 days and you'll feel so much better.  You can do it! ☺

jplvernon... I had the same reaction, on my first W30, that you are having. Now I do what Nemo does - pack my own lunch. At restaurants I go online first & plan what I am going to order. I take my own ghee & my own salad dressing. I don't talk about my food choices unless someone asks, and then I give the briefest answers possible. Your hosts, and your waiters, will be happy you are low maintenance & enjoying yourself. The hours spent cooking, however, can be a nuisance and everyone needs to find their own path. If I am cooking, I never cook just one thing. And I rarely use a recipe... I think recipes are work. I'm also not really fond of constantly chopping up raw vegs just to have salads in winter. I just keep a whole bunch of different proteins (steak, hamburger, eggs, salmon, chicken... ) always cooked in the fridge, along with a variety of vegs (at this time of year it's often potatoes, carrots, beets, string beans, broccoli...) and I just pull out various combinations of these things whenever it's mealtime. Add mayo or ghee or olives or whatever fat you like. Grab a glass of water or a cup of tea, and a book. Put your feet up & get lost in your book while you eat. I seldom meal prep & I seldom spend a lot of time in the kitchen. This might be sheer laziness; I prefer to think of it as efficiency. LOL! I'm sure you'll find other coping ideas around the forums. Best of luck in finding your own path to enjoying this journey. It will make your reintroductions & your eventual food freedom a whole lot easier to achieve... well worth doing.

Day 13  into Day 14 and still strong on Whole30. I spent a little too much time on food prep yesterday but it was worth it.  Whatever I don't use I'll freeze for later meals. I won't have to do as much next weekend. Almost half way there! :D

Archived