Start date October 23, 2016

Sharon McKinney

My kidney doctor recommend I start this program. Said if I don't change my ways I won't live to see 40. I'm almost 37..... I have a very weak will and could use all the support I can get. I currently have type 2 diabetes and am on an insulin pump. I have high cholesterol, high blood pressure, diabetic retinopathy, stage 4 chronic kidney disease, eczema, constant heart burn, and have had cataract surgery in both eyes. I currently weigh 283 pounds and am 5'10. I also take a medication to slow my heart beat.:(

Hi Sharon and Cristina, 

I just posted today, too. I started the program yesterday. What an amazing act of self-love we are undertaking! I'd like to join your group. As I'm learning the program, I'm also learning how to use this forum :)

This thread is your group ladies - just keeping posting here for support, accountability etc. You can also start a log of your own >here< where you can record food/exercise/sleep/liquids etc. That way if you come up against any issues it's much easier for the mods to see where you might be going wrong....

Good luck!

Day 4. I'm having trouble with drinks. I've been drinking nothing but water and I'm getting bored with it. I'm a quitter, so this is making it harder to say no. Any suggestions? I can't afford to buy the books and can't find a simple list of yes and no's. Can someone point me in the right direction?

12 minutes ago, Sharon McKinney said:

Any suggestions?

Water should be your main source of liquid, but don't be afraid to add some berries, or slices of citrus fruit, or even some mint & cucumber to give it a bit of flavour. Then there's La Croix (depending on where in the world you are), and fruit/herbal teas - but always remember to check the ingredients for those... And nobody says you can't have coffee - just don't go overboard...

Hope this helps!

1 hour ago, Sharon McKinney said:

Day 4. I'm having trouble with drinks. I've been drinking nothing but water and I'm getting bored with it. I'm a quitter, so this is making it harder to say no. Any suggestions? I can't afford to buy the books and can't find a simple list of yes and no's. Can someone point me in the right direction?

"I'm a quitter".....Sounds like you could use some Cognitive Behavioral Therapy.....is this an option for you?  Just trying to be helpful.  You are NOT a quitter, you are here trying to make a change, trying to live your life, trying to make it past 40, AND you have made it to day 4....you are NOT a quitter.  Keep reminding yourself of that.  Change your thinking and your behavior might change as well.

I cut an pasted these from one of @ladyshanny's posts.  She's a moderator and has them at the bottom of all of her posts.  They will help guide you if you don't have the book:

Meal Planning Template
Timeline
Whole30 Rules
Do I Have to Start Over?
Can I Have.....?
Rules vs Recommendations

Regarding the cost of things, there are lots of posts here in the forum regarding how to do a Whole30 on a budget.  I don't know how to link them here, but if you search "budget" in the search bar on the top right you may have some luck.

Also, if you think in terms of your health, feeding yourself the right food is an investment in yourself.  Think about what you spend on doctor copays, what dialysis would mean to your ability to work full-time, what losing a foot or leg would mean...would you be able to do your same job?

I'm a nurse and have worked with so many people who could have changed their paths if they'd made changes at age 37.  Picture how you want to be at age 40, age 50, and so on....make that happen.  YOU can do it.  It IS possible.

On 10/23/2016 at 4:39 PM, Sharon McKinney said:

Doing good on my first day. My problem is food cost. I've done shopping for 2 days worth of recipes and spent more than I usually spend in a week. It costs so much to be healthy. My husband and I are starting a garden in the spring.

I'm on one of the other groups and they have been posting what they had or plan to have each day.  

B:  1/6 of the spinach fritatta (I initially thought the recipe in the book was for several meals, but I think it was supposed to be one or two!  Also some leftover salmon from dinner, roasted brussels and onion hash, and the garlic aioli from the book

L:  ground pork, onion, garlic, cabbage and snow peas with sesame oil and an apple

D:  trying to figure it out - just might have more of what I had for lunch because I liked it and it is easy.

I am not the most fit person, but I'm determined to do a little every day.  The first day I did too much (yes, I'm that wimpy!) and yesterday I had to rest, but today I walked around the block (14 min).  

It can be expensive if you don't have a lot of the basics on hand, but I one of the suggestions in the book is to start with the simple stuff and maybe buy one item that might be expensive but last a while (say coconut oil or a couple of spices) but then you have it in your arsenal.  The other suggestions they have are to look for things that are in season, for example, where I live, cabbage is cheap now and onions are usually inexpensive too.  I found the snow peas at a chinese grocer and they were just $1 for a bag.  

You can do this!

Thanks for checking in, Sharon.  I've been thinking about you!  I'm on Day 12, but close enough.  I've actually found that people who aren't on the program don't even realize they are eating anything "special".  Felt like quitting the other day, but pushed through and I'm ready to roll on.  Have to eat quick and pack lunch (have meetings off-site today that I wasn't planning for).  Have a great day!

Day 16 almost over. I can very honestly say I have not cheated although the temptations have been around. My blood sugars are more "normal" than ever, I sleep through the night more since I'm not having to pee constantly, I have more energy throughout the day, and I find that I don't have to eat when I'm bored. The craving that I have the most is cheese. I miss cheese. I thought pasta would be my weakness. Nope. Cheese. Who knew?! LOL

Archived