Oils

Barbara Gardner

• Administrators

Safflower and Sunflower (and canola) are oils that are reluctantly permitted in the instance of dining out only. Not for anything you might purchase for use in your own home and not for cooking with at home.

Sorry! 

• 1 month later...

I finished my first Whole30 and am pleased with the results. I took one day off to have a glass of the one thing I missed, diet tonic water, then started my next whole30 the next day.

BUT, I've uncovered one problem. I live in a CCRC (continuing care retirement community) that has a restaurant that I must eat at (I'm charged a meal fee that I will lose if I dont us it.)  I've been pretty much able to survive by sticking to the salad bar, which usually contains a compliant protein (I.e. Salmon). But the hot bar sometimes has things I'd like to eat, like sautéed Brussels sprouts or tomatoes and okra. Today I asked the manager what's the oil they sauté their vegetables it. He showed me: 75% canola, 25% olive. Does this mean these vegetables are non-compliant for me?

TIA,

Chuck

• Moderators

@Brassfrog I think it's really up to you. Canola oil is allowed for most people if they're eating in restaurants, and you are -- you're just eating in a restaurant a lot more often than the average person does.

I think another thing to consider is that you have done a Whole30, and no one is really meant to do a WholeForever -- we want you to figure out a plan that works for you and set your own rules. So maybe your plan going forward allows for these vegetables when they have something that sounds good to you. If the worst thing you're eating on a regular basis is vegetables cooked in canola oil, that's really not so bad.

Archived