Start date 1/23/17

marnold

5 minutes ago, Cindy O said:

@Clearlyiamdisturbed  and  @jmcbn  - Interesting idea that it could be nightshades.  I hadn't thought of that as a possibility. I will do some reading on it and maybe experiment with elimination of those too. I have hypothyroidism and have also wondered about the cruciferous family causing me issues there, but again have not tried to eliminate them for any period of time.

Hey @Cindy O - my comment about the nightshades was directed more at Clearlyiamdisturbed. I'd tend to agree with you that the garlic is most likely your culprit looking only at the foods you've listed. Garlic is a part of the allium family which is high in sulphur, it's also high FODMAP so it's very much a problem food for many.

I'd start by removing the garlic (you can use garlic infused oil for flavour) and see how you go from there.

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good morning all.  Hope you made it through your weekend without a hitch.

We are looking forward to reintroduction. What is your plan going to be?

We have ours mapped out pretty well. Part of the plan was to win the Powerball...but since we didn't....I guess buying that dream house on the coast will have to wait :)

Not much news here. I hope to start PT on my foot this week.

Stay focused.

Cindy

On 2/19/2017 at 6:37 AM, Cindy O said:

@Clearlyiamdisturbed  and  @jmcbn  - Interesting idea that it could be nightshades.  I hadn't thought of that as a possibility. I will do some reading on it and maybe experiment with elimination of those too. I have hypothyroidism and have also wondered about the cruciferous family causing me issues there, but again have not tried to eliminate them for any period of time. Both of those eliminations will create some cooking challenges for me.

Can you believe it...only 3 days until reintroduction!:D

Looking for people's thoughts or insights here: How much of a portion of something do you think is the right amount to reintroduce. For example we are doing dairy first.

I was thinking of adding some shredded cheddar to eggs for breakfast. With full-fat Greek yogurt and berries. Then maybe picking up our favorite take-out seafood chowder for dinner that night.

Making myself hungry thinking about it! Plus I am baking bacon....go figure!

Feeling great this morning. Waking up right at 5 AM without any problems. I had my first food dream last night....funny thing... it was a smoked seafood plate....yummy.

Stay focused.

Cindy

I am going to have one item from the test food at each meal. I am also going to make certain some of the foods are organic so I can minimize or eliminate the influence of non-compliant ingredients.

For legumes, I will throw some organic black beans in my kitchen sink scrambled eggs. I have some organic hummus and will have that for lunch with some cut up vegetables. I will likely make taco meat (either chicken or beef) for dinner so I will likely have more black beans. For dairy day I will likely have plain Greek yogurt with breakfast and I will likely try a soft cheese with lunch and a hard cheese with dinner.

I am still leery of my sugar dragon, so I am planning to stay clear of sugar and reserve it for "worth it" treats. 

Last official day! Can't believe it!

NSVs: (i) more energy! Have walked (or pedaled) 26 out of the 30 days. That is a big jump for me. (though today I am tired tired tired!)

(ii) sleeping better (not sure if it's the food or the result of (i) above). 

(iii) no cravings for sweets. 

(iv) watching less TV (because cooking and post-cooking cleaning take up so much time). Better informed since I listen to NPR while I'm cooking and cleaning up. (Less time for reading too, though.)

Disappointment: My clothes do not feel significantly looser, so I'm not expecting a huge weight loss...I still have a big belly though it does seem a bit smaller.

Therefore: I think I'll just continue on this path instead of reintroduction: (from today's Whole 30 daily: "Many folks handle this situation intuitively—they stay on the Whole30 until something so delicious (and so worth it) crosses their path, they decide to come off for that one special item. (We like this approach.) "

Sunday I'm going to an Oscar party where the hostess always serves artichoke dip. I'm not saying it's the most delicious thing in the world but I know I'll want to eat some (with veggies instead of crackers). So I'm going to do dairy that day (it has parmesan in it) and I gave her a jar of Duke's mayo (sugar free) to use for it. I'll likely also have greek yogurt.

Can't wait to weigh in tomorrow. 

I just thought of another positive: I did not to watch TV or read while I ate (except lunchtime at work, when I read the newspaper). This was really big for me because it's such a bad habit and I end up wanting to eat while I read or watch TV even if I'm not hungry and it's not mealtime. 

Day 31 for me...I'm adding in legumes today.  I made a large pot of chili last night, I can't wait to give it a try for lunch and see how I feel!

Unfortunatley my results of the Whole30 are mixed...I actually found out 2 weeks ago that I am pregnant with #2 so the past couple of weeks have been more survival mode for me than anything, eating compliant but not really enjoying the process and feeling so tired I really missed out on any tiger blood or added energy that I felt early on.  I will definitely try this again down the road but am looking forward to a bit more flexibility in my diet at the moment.  In the end I lost 6lbs and created some new healthy habits around food that I will definitely incorporate going forward. 

Congratulations to all of you for making it do Day 30!  You should be so proud of what you've accomplished over the last month.  Wishing everyone the best on their reintro and healthy lifestyles going forward! 

Day 30! I am very stressed today due to some outside issues. My food and nutrition are on point and, at least, I feel in control of that area today. My body is a bit different, but I have also been taking barre classes this past month in addition to my running. I will do my curiosity weighing and measuring then I will go back to mostly ignoring the scale. Legumes tomorrow!

I finished my Whole30 yesterday but because I am sick with bronchitis/cold today, I am going to wait another day or so to start my reintroduction.  I don't like the idea of potentially feeling bad from eating, on top of already feeling bad from being sick. When I do start my re-introduction, I'll start with legumes, like the plan in the book, It Starts with Food.

Amazingly, over the 30 days of my W30, I lost 15 pounds. That is astonishing to me, someone who has not been able to lose even a few pounds in a few months with what I was doing before W30.  Most of the weight was fat around my mid-section, which is good, because I've never carried fat in that region. So clearly, something was really wrong with my "regular" way of eating.  I think I'm going to throw that old way of eating out the window for good!

I've been lurking for the last 30 days; I'm not much of a sharer. But reading what everyone here has posted has been really helpful and encouraging.

Now for the real question: Nobody here has mentioned (that I've seen) reintroducing alcohol first, as is an option in the book. That is my plan, to have a glass of wine tomorrow night with dinner - I've really missed it! Then I plan to reintroduce the rest in the order described in Whole 30, with the exception of moving legumes to be the last thing. My daughter has been doing it with me, and she's allergic to legumes, so she won't be reintroducing them. We'd like to stay on the same schedule to compare results. So is anybody else here planning to reintroduce alcohol at all?

Thanks, and congratulations to all of us for making this happen!

I've decided that alcohol would be the least important to reintroduce and food takes priority.  But that's just how I feel. Alcohol has become a habit or a tool for so many and I guess I also want to focus on weight loss as well. Alcohol can wait. I don't want it to be part of my lifestyle. I figure if I miss it more than say cheese and that I have a reason to drink it, like to relax, then I'm staying away. Just a thought.

1 hour ago, Ellen112 said:

I've been lurking for the last 30 days; I'm not much of a sharer. But reading what everyone here has posted has been really helpful and encouraging.

Now for the real question: Nobody here has mentioned (that I've seen) reintroducing alcohol first, as is an option in the book. That is my plan, to have a glass of wine tomorrow night with dinner - I've really missed it! Then I plan to reintroduce the rest in the order described in Whole 30, with the exception of moving legumes to be the last thing. My daughter has been doing it with me, and she's allergic to legumes, so she won't be reintroducing them. We'd like to stay on the same schedule to compare results. So is anybody else here planning to reintroduce alcohol at all?

Thanks, and congratulations to all of us for making this happen!

I didn't even think about alcohol although I found myself craving mimosas a few days ago. I'll be saving legumes for last too butbthats due to the fact that I already know I have a problem with them. How do you test for allergy to them? I never even knew it was a thing I just knew they were something I rarely eat aside from peas, because they make me miserable for days. 

Lost 9 pounds but only 1.5 inches off my waist, which is the only measurement I took. I had a feeling it would not be great, since my clothes are not noticeably looser, but I'm still disappointed. I'm 60 but look a little bit pregnant...

I'll reintroduce garbanzos at lunch if I'm in the mood. Otherwise, I'll just wait 'til Sunday to reintroduce dairy.

I hope everyone's results were more positive!

I could start reintroduction tomorrow.  Before I do though I went through the book and checked off the things that have improved.  Its a great exercise.  Also, today I looked at the reintroduction itself.  I thought ok i CAN reintroduce these things, but should I?  I asked myself what do I miss and why.  I see food differently now.  I miss cheese and I'll definitely be bringing that back, but in smaller amounts and its going to be good flippin cheese because its going to be worth it!  The first optional reintroduction item is non-gluten alcohol.  I'm going to pass on that for right now. Alcohol tends to disrupt the digestive system, metabolism, and mental focus so... I'm thinking I'll skip that.  When I first started this Whole30 I looked to the end as freedom to eat certain things again.  But now as I'm right there at the end, I think differently.  Part of what this diet is supposed to do is change your emotional connection to food.  I don't want to LONG for any food or drink of any kind.  If i find that I am, I'm eliminating it until my attitude is more healthy about that food.  

Excellent posts friends. Congrats to those who have lost weight and inches - even more to those who have gained insights. I would say that the insights are where I am focused.

I did not weight myself before I started because I wanted to focus on how I was feeling more than weight loss. I did weigh this morning and know it was around 12 pounds that was gone from the last time I weighed myself at the beginning of January. My husband thinks be host around 15 pounds and was showing me his flatter tummy this morning. I can see that my above the waist band pudgy zone is smaller and I know that my clothes are fitting looser.

I am having the same feeling about alcohol as an add-in as some of you. I was in the habit of using alcohol to relax on an almost daily basis for sometime and I just don't want that habit to come back. I am feeling so good, so refreshed in the morning, so clear-headed and mostly arthritis-free. My eyes are clearer, my skin feels good.

Today is dairy add-in. Will report findings as they are evident.

10 hours ago, Clearlyiamdisturbed said:

I didn't even think about alcohol although I found myself craving mimosas a few days ago. I'll be saving legumes for last too butbthats due to the fact that I already know I have a problem with them. How do you test for allergy to them? I never even knew it was a thing I just knew they were something I rarely eat aside from peas, because they make me miserable for days. 

Her allergist tested her for all sorts of stuff several years ago - she was around 14 or 15. She'd had peanut butter her whole life with no issues until middle school, when she started to notice her ears itching after eating pistachios or peanuts. I, being mother of the year, didn't think anything of it, other than that she was just weird. But she has also had bad seasonal allergies forever, so I finally took her to an allergist when she started high school. They tested for all sorts of stuff, and it turns out that tree nuts and legumes are the food items she's allergic to. Also green beans, weirdly enough. Anyway, she does the shots to reduce the seasonal allergies, which work, but they can't help the food allergies. Anyway, that's how we learned about all the stuff she's allergic to.

So after reading Jobeecat's reply to me, and thinking more about it, and looking at my schedule for the next two weeks, I've made a last-minute decision this morning to start reintroduction with non-gluten grains. I will reintroduce alcohol last. I agree that I was using it for relaxation most evenings, and I also agree that a huge point of this is a mental reset. I am happy enough without it to wait, though I know I will want to drink on occasion in the "real world", so I'm very curious to document alcohol's effects on me.

So I had oatmeal with my regular breakfast, made some brown rice to eat with my lunch, and will eat more brown rice tonight with supper. Daughter will buy organic baked corn chips to eat with guac, so that's definitely something to look forward to as well.

Lastly, I only lost 6.7 pounds, which was definitely a disappointment at first. But then I refocused on my reasons for doing this in the first place (relationship with food -> food freedom, to feel better and have more energy, to learn more about how certain foods affect how I feel, and lastly weight loss) and am very pleased. I knew it wasn't much more than that based on how my clothes feel. Also, if I reintroduce to finish the science experiment, then go back to mostly W30 going forward, I think I'll feel great, which is the point. And if I can lose 6 pounds a month, it will only take a few months to get to my goal weight, so that is completely fine. Feeling good and moving towards my goal: sounds like a perfect outcome to me!

1 hour ago, Guadopt1997 said:

Lost 9 pounds but only 1.5 inches off my waist, which is the only measurement I took. I had a feeling it would not be great, since my clothes are not noticeably looser, but I'm still disappointed. I'm 60 but look a little bit pregnant...

I'll reintroduce garbanzos at lunch if I'm in the mood. Otherwise, I'll just wait 'til Sunday to reintroduce dairy.

I hope everyone's results were more positive!

You should NOT be disappointed! You did great! Be proud and keep it up! The longer you keep eating clean even after reintro the more will come off 8 feel certain. That's how I'm looking at it. 

So here are my results according to Myfitnesspal, My Aria Scale and Fitstream. 

Then.   Now 

165.9. -  156.9

waist

36    34

hips

42    38

neck

14    13

dude..... I feel fantastic about this ... 9 lbs... I'll take it. I'm 5'8" and although I know it's only 9 lbs, I feel like it was 30. That's how good I feel. I am never crazy hungry and when I'm hungry after dinner, I don't feel bad about having a little something because I haven't put junk in my body throughout the day. I'm surprised at how little food it takes to satisfy me when I feel like I need a little snack. It's actually a LITTLE snack. A couple shrimp or the rest of a salad I had earlier at dinner. 

So much has changed for me in 30 days. Severe grouchiness in the morning, stomach aches all the time, headaches, sinus infections, bloating, gas, constipation, lethargy, anxiety, depression, inattention, back aches, and insomnia, all gone. I am a Whole30 success story and I think you ALL are too if you just look at what all really changed. It's not like me to gush, so take me seriously here folks. I didn't do this for weight loss but I am stoked about it as well. 

Archived