Start date 1/23/17

marnold

Sending positive thoughts and vibes to everyone to stay strong and continue the Whole30 journey. 20 days down and just 10 to go! I did have a couple of non-compliant food dreams last week. It was funny that I did wake up and had to realize it was just a dream. I also made it though a gathering at a pizza/pasta restaurant for a running group I help mentor. I had a salad with grilled shrimp. Luckily, I had brought my own salad dressing as their oil and vinegar was with canola oil.

I also made it though a couple of not so organized food days. I enjoy cooking, but I have never really done much planning. The planning has been a challenge and I am going to continue to work on that. I am enjoying the food so I can see eating basically to plan with some additions, depending on what foods go well during reintroduction. I have a strong sense that I will try to continue to eliminate sugar and the bread/cake carbs. I am not missing them and they are likely my no brakes foods. 

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Still going strong. Had a dream last night that I ate a strawberry ice cream cone and I don't even like that flavor. Ice cream is one of my favorite things though.

I started reading about what comes after day 30. I guess I'll experiment with peanut butter and chick peas that first day and then do the dairy experiment on the fourth day. But the suggestion in the book for dairy is ice cream, which seems a bit much.

It's possible I have more energy but other than that, I'm not feeling much different, though the blouse I'm wearing today is definitely looser!

OHMaryF, good planning on the dressing!

On 2/9/2017 at 0:02 AM, Akdre said:

I am diagnosed with anxiety and currently take meds to help balance my serotonin levels, and I'd heard that "low carb" diets can cause further issues with those levels.  (I know w30 doesn't tote itself as low carb, but it is big difference compared to my usual way of eating.) 

How are you today @Akdre? Are you including plenty of starchy veg in your meals each day? This will help with the anxiety, as will oily fish, and also tryptophan containing foods (the precursor to serotonin) such as turkey, but also eggs, fish (fatty fish also being high in mood enhancing DHA/Omega 3), spinach, mushrooms, and turnip & beet greens.

A vitamin D deficiency can also impact mood - are you getting any time outdoors? or taking a D3 supplement?

This morning was the first morning I felt blah about my breakfast though I was hungry. I know I need to focus on my food planning for the rest of this week because what I made pushed me over the "leftovers I want again" barrier. I am hoping to find some more butternut squash. Most of the stores have not had them, but I found one that did. That squash provided me with some very tasty week one and early week two meals.

We are getting so close, I too am missing the tiger blood - I felt amazing around Day 11 and just haven't gotten back there.  I may keep going after the 30, I really really want to feel that.  At this point I'm feeling like I'm just sort of surviving this instead of really living it which is not at all how I intended for this 30 days to go.  If I don't continue on I definitely see another Whole30 in my future.  How's everyone else doing?  Any tiger blood out there? 

I have felt no tiger blood whatsoever and I'm on Day 20.  I wonder if not having a lot of sugar in my diet prior to going on the Whole30 diet makes a difference.  It seems as if it is dependent upon removing the sugar from the diet.  Anyone else?

I am at the airport, about to fly home from my week-plus long travelling experience on Whole30. I am in Day 23, so I have 7 days left to go.

Truth be told, it has been very, very hard to travel extensively while following the strict Whole30 protocol. I had a 3-day driving trip from Florida to New Jersey, then 3 days in New Jersey, then 2 days in New York City that included a black-tie event. So the venues for eating varied widely, from roadside rest areas to nice restaurants. 

There were a few times I ate one item only for a meal. There were times I had to guess and hope I was being compliant or go hungry for a whole day. It is not at all easy to travel even with the best planning. If I hadn't brought Epic foods and packs of almond butter, I might have not eaten several times. 

It's almost over and I'm glad.

On a positive note, doing Whole30 has definitely helped my hunger. I find that I can easily go for several hours between meals without getting cranky or hungry. So that is very positive. I believe W30 is helping my blood sugar overall.

As we get into the last leg of this thing, I find myself feeling anxious about the reintroduction process and perhaps even the lack of support and community, should I continue to eat Whole30 after the 30. I mean, I feel very connected to you all and like I am not alone, however, it is an extreme diet in most people's view and when you eat this way, it is very obvious to others that you are on a strict diet. I know eating out is possible, but it's more inconvenient to eat out than to run home at this point. That said, I have learned to eat this way, I must be losing weight. I have  energy, less headaches and my digestive problems have all but disappeared. I am reluctant to reintroduce anything because of the days of feeling terrible I might be setting myself up for. Plus, it seems like my digestive tract has gotten used to this now. It would be a shame to go back to where it was. 

Is it a crazy idea to eat Whole30 style forever? I can just hear the old me saying, "that crazy woman is all sugar free, dairy free ,gluten free tree hugger thinks all the chemicals we eat are actually hurting us....pass the donuts."

I was just  thinking the same thing and even wrote it in my blog (my little online diary).  I thought... Ok, what if after the reintroductions and I identify what it is that really bugs me, and basically just keep it out of the rotation.  Then, stay on Whole30 for the most part, stay away from the offending item, eat something off plan once in a while - like when I go out with friends - but then just return to my new normal afterward and use the chart that makes me ask if I'm craving something and how worth it is it that I downloaded from this site.  I feel like this is something that is totally doable and seriously considering it.  I don't think its crazy at all!  What I think is crazy is if we went back to feeling not as good and being ok with that.  

Just my two cents

4 minutes ago, Clearlyiamdisturbed said:

Is it a crazy idea to eat Whole30 style forever?

You might not like this, but yes.

I've been around the forums A LOT and I've seen SO many people claim they feel so good they're just going to keep on eating this way forever, and so they don't use this valuable opportunity to do any sort of reintroductions, and then one day maybe 3 weeks, 8 weeks, 6 months down the line they come back  with their tail between their legs, full of regret for the opportunity lost.

Nobody can eat Whole30 style forever. At some point there will come a time when you just can't pass up that glass of wine, or slice of pizza, or birthday cup-cake, or summer ice cream at the beach... and that's it over, along with your opportunity to discover which foods do and don't work for you & your optimal health going forward.

1 hour ago, awarner said:

We are getting so close, I too am missing the tiger blood - I felt amazing around Day 11 and just haven't gotten back there.  I may keep going after the 30, I really really want to feel that.  At this point I'm feeling like I'm just sort of surviving this instead of really living it which is not at all how I intended for this 30 days to go.  If I don't continue on I definitely see another Whole30 in my future.  How's everyone else doing?  Any tiger blood out there? 

I am not going to lie to you, I don't feel energetic all the time. But I had really bad mornings before, and they aren't so bad now. I don't really feel like killing everyone for talking to me or, you know, existing and stuff. It does help me if I eat lots of colorful veggies the day before. When I skip out on that and opt for more protein, I kind of drag. So make sure you're eating lots of colorful veggies. Eating nuts is also not something I can get away with right now. Small quantities are ok, but it causes me to drag and bloat if I eat handfulls...

There have been a few days, when my food prep was dragging, I didn't feel like a salad and I just felt like I was existing. Go to the store if you can afford it and get some new items to try, maybe some purple cabbage, sweet peppers or smoked trout. And look around you while you are there. Look at all of the unhealthy food they push on us in the stores. Look at the people buying them. I don't mean this in an ugly way because 22 days ago I was buying Little Debbies too. But look at the people and see that many of them look unhealthy. I don't want to look like that anymore and I definitely don't feel like that person anymore. 

Sometimes I don't drink enough water and I start feeling bad too. Make sure you're not doing that! Drink Drink Drink. 

I think I need to stay on longer too.  This weekend I chose to take elderberry syrup and made some of my echinacea and roots tea, both of which had sweetener in them.  I hate that I was forced to make this choice, but our family has a respiratory virus going on AND the stomach flu.  I wanted to be 100% compliant for the whole 30, but I like how one of you said, "I feel like I'm surviving the Whole30 instead of living it."  I want to live the lifestyle until it becomes more natural to me.  IDK, in some way I think that adding more time will somehow offset the little bit of honey and stevia that I consumed in my attempt to stay well.  

The Whole 30 Forevers.  I concur with jmcbn. 

I've watched them drop like flies after 6 months or a year.  Some released 80 or 100 lbs and rebounded back with 80 lbs after a year.  When they stepped back into the real world without rules  and regs, they were at a loss. Many didn't believe a Reintro was even necessary. I've got the world by the tail until it turned into a flop.

Think about your end game. What is sustainable for the rest of your life.  Not 6 months or even 3 years down the road but actually what can you do that will establish a good relationship with food.

18 minutes ago, MeadowLily said:

The Whole 30 Forevers.  I concur with jmcbn. 

I've watched them drop like flies after 6 months or a year.  Some released 80 or 100 lbs and rebounded back with 80 lbs after a year.  When they stepped back into the real world without rules  and regs, they were at a loss. Many didn't believe a Reintro was even necessary. I've got the world by the tail until it turned into a flop.

Think about your end game. What is sustainable for the rest of your life.  Not 6 months or even 3 years down the road but actually what can you do that will establish a good relationship with food.

Well, it's not so much that I think I SHOULD Whole30 forever, or that I think I am can somehow overcome reality, it's more so that I am AFRAID of reintroduction and re-experiencing the digestive problems that landed me here in the first place. I think reintro is important, but I think it is also scary. I feel like maybe unless you had some serious digestion issues you wouldn't be afraid. SO, maybe it just sounds that easy and not scary to other people. 

There's a big difference between a Whole 30 Forever and Food Freedom Forever.

There is nothing scary about the Reintro process.  You have jmcbn, Shannon, Shanny, SugarCube and other mods to help you through every step of the process.

Not doing a Reintro is the biggest mistake you can make after the Whole 30. It is the reward of rewards for all of the hard work.

Even with digestive issues,  30 days is enough to complete the diagnostic testing.  Going longer doesn't usually sway those results by much.  jmcbn can tell you about that testing process with digestive issues.

2 minutes ago, MeadowLily said:

There's a big difference between a Whole 30 Forever and Food Freedom Forever.

There is nothing scary about the Reintro process.  You have jmcbn, Shannon, Shanny, SugarCube and other mods to help you through every step of the process.

Not doing a Reintro is the biggest mistake you can make after the Whole 30. It is the reward of rewards for all of the hard work.

Really great to get this reinforcement about the importance of doing the re-intro. Thanks!

Just now, KNB said:

Really great to get this reinforcement about the importance of doing the re-intro. Thanks!

Really,  those of us who've been around the bend have watched it all.  It was disheartening, not only for them but us.  To see all of the hard work come undone and I'm talking 80-100 lbs, that is a soul crushing experience.  Some have never been heard from again.  

It's better to tell the truth than let someone fall.  Follow through with a Reintro, immediately.  Don't wait until a week later. Don't use Day 31 for a thrill eating food bender.  Follow the steps. All of the tools and people are right here to help you.

So to confirm, it is better to start reintroduction right away on Day 31, than to stick out the Whole30 for 45 or 60 days instead of the 30?  I still feel bodily inflammation in my joints and rarely, but still sometimes get hangry when I've waited to eat too long.  My blood sugars must be much better regulated, but I still have hypoglycemic symptoms at times.  I really thank you for your input.  I don't want to lose a bunch of weight and then regain it from not properly reintroducing.  I'm also not quite sure that I've beat the sugar dragon.  Specifically with donuts, I sometimes still crave them.  Still, it is advisable to reintroduce on Day 31?  Thanks again for the feedback.  

8 minutes ago, ktmamarn said:

So to confirm, it is better to start reintroduction right away on Day 31, than to stick out the Whole30 for 45 or 60 days instead of the 30?  I still feel bodily inflammation in my joints and rarely, but still sometimes get hangry when I've waited to eat too long.  My blood sugars must be much better regulated, but I still have hypoglycemic symptoms at times.  I really thank you for your input.  I don't want to lose a bunch of weight and then regain it from not properly reintroducing.  I'm also not quite sure that I've beat the sugar dragon.  Specifically with donuts, I sometimes still crave them.  Still, it is advisable to reintroduce on Day 31?  Thanks again for the feedback.  

Yes.  Absolutely yes, yes, yes.

The reintro process is no guarantee that rebound weight gain will not occur. That will depend on your own plan going forward.

Thirty compliant days are doable and possible. With every passing month that you extend the Whole 30, the stats fall that anyone follows through with Reintro. They're usually  so happy with the side effects of weight loss, then they go on a trip  and start eating all of it back.  

It only takes one non-compliant item and the Whole 30 is over.  You can't call it anything but your own way of eating.  If you don't follow through on Day 31, the percentages drop even further that you will start all over, completing a totally compliant Whole 30, with reintro following immediately on Day 31.

It only takes one Whole 30. One.  Thirty consecutive days. Start diagnostic testing immediately for the most accurate results.  Every day that goes by the ground gets colder until it's a distant memory.  You do not want to start over.

What @jmcbn and @MeadowLily said. 

The reintroduction is as important as your Whoe30. Some of us would say it's more important. You can only do your reintroduction after a Whole30 so don't waste this opportunity!

Whether you have digestive issues or whatever your issues are, your reintroduction will show you just how an eliminated food affects you. You need to be armed with this information as you go forward. At the same time, the reintroduction protocol of at least two days of Whole30 template eating between reintroductions provides a structure or safety net so that you can thoughtfully decide what your post-reintroduction food plan--your personal strategy, to meet your personal goals--will look like. 

1 hour ago, ktmamarn said:

What do your meals look like right now @ktmamarn?

When you say you still get hangry between meals - how many hours between meals are we talking?

1 hour ago, ktmamarn said:

All my meals meet the recommendations for meat, a hearty helping of fat, veggies and either a starchy veggie or fruit.

If you have blood sugar issues @ktmamarn then we'd recommend fruit be kept to a minimum, and starchy veg eaten every other day. Proper proportions of protein & fat on the regular will prevent the hypos by providing a slow steady release of energy rather than the spikes & troughs caused by the sugars in fruit & starchy veg.

Are you salting your food and getting adequate water?

Good Morning Whole30ers!

Reintroduction is just around the corner. I am going to add dairy in first, then non-gluten grains. Next will be legumes.

We had a huge snow storm here yesterday and I took the opportunity to do some "dreadmill" and dusted off the Total Gym for some resistance training. I am so happy that I had the energy to do both. My foot issues persist and I finally have an appointment to get it checked out. The anti-inflammatory part of this diet certainly has helped me, but it has not resolved the ankle/foot pain which I am assuming may actually be something mechanical.

I admitted to my husband that I am tired of cooking....and I LOVE TO COOK!  We were that couple that went out or took out at least 3-4 times a week. So I miss that luxury!

My energy levels remain consistent. I have not found the tiger blood yet, but I know it will come. I have been gassy (not crazy bad, but a few farts and definitely more burps) the last few days. It seemed to start after dinner with roasted colorful peppers and flank steak dinner Saturday night. Persisted yesterday with this food:

breakfast: tomato/avocado/fried eggs for breakfast with a 1/2 blueberries and mango diced

lunch: zoodles, spaghetti squash and ground turkey spaghetti (homemade with tomato, onion, roasted garlic, evoo, spices)

4 green olives around 4 pm

dinner: Chicken salad with paleo mayo, tomato soup (roasted garlic, coconut milk, onion, chicken broth, spices), mixed greens salad with 1/2 orange slices, toasted almonds 1/2 avocado.

Now that I've written it down - and see it I think perhaps the roasted garlic could be the culprit. I made that soup Saturday for lunch.

I have scheduled a massage for the afternoon of day 30....that will be my non-food reward.

Stay focused.

Cindy

Archived