Start date 1/23/17

marnold

1 hour ago, Cindy O said: Persisted yesterday with this food:

breakfast: tomato/avocado/fried eggs for breakfast with a 1/2 blueberries and mango diced

lunch: zoodles, spaghetti squash and ground turkey spaghetti (homemade with tomato, onion, roasted garlic, evoo, spices)

4 green olives around 4 pm

dinner: Chicken salad with paleo mayo, tomato soup (roasted garlic, coconut milk, onion, chicken broth, spices), mixed greens salad with 1/2 orange slices, toasted almonds 1/2 avocado.

Now that I've written it down - and see it I think perhaps the roasted garlic could be the culprit. I made that soup Saturday for lunch.

Thanks for posting your menu! After 8 days on the road and a lot of strangely put-together meals, it is so good for me to wake up and read what someone else is doing so I can get right back into the good foods I know await me in my kitchen. Glad to be home again!

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi everyone, I have been doing very well.  Although, I am positively enamored with baked Kale chips.  They are so good with over easy eggs.  My 14 year old also loves them.  She will eat them every time I make them.  Huge win.  

Cindy, I feel you with cooking.  I am tired of it as well.  I have been missing soup.  I am going to try out that tomato soup.  Thanks for the inspiration.  

I did get an instapot this week and literally cooked a whole chicken in less than an hour from start to table.  It was really good.  

Hope things are great with you all.

Hi everyone, I was lurking in another topic, the people who began one week before us. One of the moderators posted the following (in quotes below) and I thought i'd pass it along because I definitely have not been eating enough fat. And sometimes not enough protein either! Also, since we're a week away from finishing our Whole 30 (can you believe it?!?), maybe we could try sharing reintroduction plans? I was thinking of starting with PB and garbanzos. And following that up with dairy in the next round. Not sure I want to bother with bread . It can just be a slippery slope and I'm not missing it. There's a fourth one but I forget what it is. In that other topic, someone mentioned a quick reintroduction but I haven't read about that yet. I may have to travel to visit a very sick friend, so I'm not sure how the reintro is going to go. But I can see myself doing another Whole 30 starting in early March!

"Do try to make each meal match the meal template. That means 1-2 palm-sized portions of protein, the length, width, and height of your palm, or if eggs are your only protein, have as many whole eggs as you can hold in your hand; 1-2 thumb-size servings of fat, or 1/2 to a whole avocado, or a heaping handful or two of olives or coconut flakes, or 3-7 oz of full fat canned coconut milk, or a small handful of nuts or seeds -- and you should have at least one of these in addition to any fat you cook in, as much of the cooking fat stays in the pan; and then fill the plate with vegetables -- lots of vegetables. Occasionally, have some fruit if you want to, but focus on the vegetables.

Most people feel best if they have a fist-sized serving of starchy vegetables each day, some do fine with less. Some people, especially those who are active, who are prone to depression or anxiety, or women who are nursing, pregnant, or in the week or leading up to their period need more."

I am on Day 25 today and getting back to normal at home with my whole30. Now it's time to start thinking about re-introduction. I  planning to follow what is says in It Starts with Food. Day for legumes, Day 4 for non-gluten grains, Day 7 for Diary, and Day 10 for gluten-containing grains.

I need to come clean.  I ate cake.  On Monday.  It was my husbands birthday and I had neglected to feed myself appropriate (enough) throughout the day while taking care of sick kiddos.  

I'm totally disappointed in myself.  Now I want to know, it's no longer Whole30 or a Whole30 reintroduction, but would a reintroduction next week or the following  still give me valid information?  Or do I really need to start all over for 30 days before testing for sensitivities?

Everyone else...keep going.  

1 hour ago, ktmamarn said:

I need to come clean.  I ate cake.  On Monday.  It was my husbands birthday and I had neglected to feed myself appropriate (enough) throughout the day while taking care of sick kiddos.  

I'm totally disappointed in myself.  Now I want to know, it's no longer Whole30 or a Whole30 reintroduction, but would a reintroduction next week or the following  still give me valid information?  Or do I really need to start all over for 30 days before testing for sensitivities?

Everyone else...keep going.  

You decide whether to start over but for an accurate reintro phase, you need 30 consecutive days of compliant food.

I don't think I have felt tiger blood per se. I do know I have been waking up before my alarm and pretty well rested. That is new for me.  I have even been able to go work out before work and get my most of my runs in during the evening. I have had a few blah food days, but that is due to my meal planning and letting myself get into a couple of ruts. 

I am definitely going to do the reintroduction. I have to read up on the categories, but I will likely try black beans and garbanzo beans for the legumes. Oatmeal has always been one of my favorite breakfasts, so I will try that and organic corn tortillas for my non-gluten grains. My go to breakfast and post run snack was often fat free greek yogurt with fresh fruit, so that will be my dairy along with some cheese.  For gluten, I have not decided. Since it will be on a Friday, I will probably gets some challah bread and maybe I will have a flour tortilla.

I know that the sugar dragon was alive and powerful in my life. I suspect it was behind some very bad migraines I had around the holidays. I have to read the reintroduction chapter again to see what it says about sugar.  I am inclined to continue to limit sugar  to those things that are really worth it and to make certain any items with sugar I do get are mostly paleo type (maple sugar, honey). 

I have been positively exhausted for two days and I was really getting discouraged, I have felt so amazing.  Today, it finally occured to me that I have suffered from rheumatoid arthritis, sjogren's syndrome and fibromyalgia for many years.  I can't expect to be healed immediately.  Before whole 30, these symptoms would probably have me bedridden, but here I am tired but up and about and I have prepared three meals for myself.  I am considering this a win.  

10 hours ago, pinkyt177 said:

I have been positively exhausted for two days and I was really getting discouraged, I have felt so amazing.  Today, it finally occured to me that I have suffered from rheumatoid arthritis, sjogren's syndrome and fibromyalgia for many years.  I can't expect to be healed immediately.  Before whole 30, these symptoms would probably have me bedridden, but here I am tired but up and about and I have prepared three meals for myself.  I am considering this a win.  

It is good you are being realistic about expectations. You don't want to set yourself up for failure by thinking this is magic. I've had days where I was also exhausted. For me I have to remember to keep taking Vitamin D....not enough sunshine here in Maine to help that production.

Great job for sticking with in.

Day 26 for me and feeling good! I can tell I have been losing bodyfat from my abdominal region, thankfully!

My main happiness with Whole30 is coming from not being hungry all the time, not craving sugar and sweet foods all the time, and not have insane sniffles in the mornings. I also feel like my energy is much more consistent. I'm not in some kind of "tiger blood" state, but that's just fine. I am happy to have a more consistent, stable energy throughout the day. 

I've been trolling but signed up just so I could say this... SIGGI'S!  4% Plain (full fat) is delicious!  I'm on day 4 and already starting to think about what I really want to reintroduce when the time comes.  Not in a bad way, but thinking what's actually worth reintroducing.

1 hour ago, aar0n5 said:

I've been trolling but signed up just so I could say this... SIGGI'S!  4% Plain (full fat) is delicious!  I'm on day 4 and already starting to think about what I really want to reintroduce when the time comes.  Not in a bad way, but thinking what's actually worth reintroducing.

Yes.  It is.  But just for today and the next 30 days, don't think about it. We don't want to stir up hibernating cravings and triggers for those almost at the end.  consoling smiley

I do admit to being curious to what the scale says. We don't have one at home but the running store where I do group ones has one. I was tracking my progress last year, once I started running and trying to eat sensibly,  so I would check every coupled of weeks. That is where I did my baseline measurement. I am not wedded to any number since, if I am able to start weight training, it will change as I add muscle.

I also got through my last temptation days. I made gluten free chocolate chip cookies for my husband for Valentines Day (he cannot have gluten). I just ignored the chocolate. Also, - there was pizza and beer after a group run yesterday. I brought a (compliant) Lara bar and some Seaweed snacks so I had my sweet and salty. Our daughter's birthday is the day after I try non-gluten grains, so it will be a compliant day and we are going to the American Girl store bistro. I found a couple of things on the menu that may work and I will just have to ignore the deserts.

Desserts. Anything baked only has 3 ingredients.  Sugar, flour and a fat. All of the formations are different but when you get right down to it, it's like throwing a cup of white dusty flour,  sugar and fat into a blob and eating it.

There are people who pay $20 bucks for a single cupcake.  Ya gotta be kiddin' me. They'll wait all the way around the block and stand in the line for one of those creations. Really. 

The amount of sugar in the powdered sugar icing, sugary sweet cake is enough to bring a horse down to his knees.  Choke a chicken and you get my drift.

Three ingredients.  Sugar, flour and fat.  Break it down, break it down.  Ain't no big deal when you see them for what they really are.   None of them are worth diabetes.  Not one bite, not one overpriced cupcake, none of them will ever be worth it to me again. Thanks for listening. 

1 hour ago, OHMaryF said:

Our daughter's birthday is the day after I try non-gluten grains, so it will be a compliant day and we are going to the American Girl store bistro. I found a couple of things on the menu that may work and I will just have to ignore the deserts.

Or you could just postpone a day (stay on Whole30 an extra day) and then have more leeway at the bistro!

Food Intolerance Question-  Since I have eliminated so many things as we find ourselves on Day 27, I find that I am unusually in tune with how I am feeling after I eat something. Initially, I avoided potatoes because I really just like them with sour cream and butter and they didn't do much for me with just ghee and spices. And I do not like tomatoes unless they are fresh garden tomatoes, so unless I have had Marinara, which has been twice, I really haven't had tomatoes in any bulk. So over the 27 days I have eaten them very little. I have eaten some sweet potatoes with no noticeable issues. I also eat sweet mini peppers and spicy peppers on a regular basis, again no noticeable issues. 

The two times I had marinara I had an upset stomach the next day. Yesterday I had a larger than normal portion of potatoes with my filet. A little over an hour later, I had a screaming headache that lasted more than an hour and then suddenly disappeared. I had tried Kombucha for the first time also, so I was thinking it might have been that. However, I had KOmbucha early today and had no issues whatsoever. Then at dinner, I had potatoes cooked into the stew. About an hour later, and still right now, the headache is back. Now, I am used to having gut issues with what I now know to be mostly wheat and dairy, but potatoes giving me a headache? I'm gonna sound crazy if I tell people that. And quite frankly, I think the dang tomatoes bother my tummy. 

Of course I Googled it and found that tomatoes and potatoes are in the nightshade family, which are a problem for some people, but, I have no problem with peppers or sweet potatoes. So, any clues as to what gives?

On 2/14/2017 at 6:14 AM, Cindy O said:

Good Morning Whole30ers!

Reintroduction is just around the corner. I am going to add dairy in first, then non-gluten grains. Next will be legumes.

We had a huge snow storm here yesterday and I took the opportunity to do some "dreadmill" and dusted off the Total Gym for some resistance training. I am so happy that I had the energy to do both. My foot issues persist and I finally have an appointment to get it checked out. The anti-inflammatory part of this diet certainly has helped me, but it has not resolved the ankle/foot pain which I am assuming may actually be something mechanical.

I admitted to my husband that I am tired of cooking....and I LOVE TO COOK!  We were that couple that went out or took out at least 3-4 times a week. So I miss that luxury!

My energy levels remain consistent. I have not found the tiger blood yet, but I know it will come. I have been gassy (not crazy bad, but a few farts and definitely more burps) the last few days. It seemed to start after dinner with roasted colorful peppers and flank steak dinner Saturday night. Persisted yesterday with this food:

breakfast: tomato/avocado/fried eggs for breakfast with a 1/2 blueberries and mango diced

lunch: zoodles, spaghetti squash and ground turkey spaghetti (homemade with tomato, onion, roasted garlic, evoo, spices)

4 green olives around 4 pm

dinner: Chicken salad with paleo mayo, tomato soup (roasted garlic, coconut milk, onion, chicken broth, spices), mixed greens salad with 1/2 orange slices, toasted almonds 1/2 avocado.

Now that I've written it down - and see it I think perhaps the roasted garlic could be the culprit. I made that soup Saturday for lunch.

I have scheduled a massage for the afternoon of day 30....that will be my non-food reward.

Stay focused.

Cindy

Looks like you might have a problem with nightshades too. I spy lots of tomatoes in those meals. I am currently trying to figure out if this is the problem for me with headaches and upset stomach. What do you think? I have noticed I am becoming more and more sensitive to certain foods as we get closer to day 30. As in, some things that I was almost sure were not bothering me, seem to be turning up guilty. 

7 hours ago, Clearlyiamdisturbed said:

Of course I Googled it and found that tomatoes and potatoes are in the nightshade family, which are a problem for some people, but, I have no problem with peppers or sweet potatoes. So, any clues as to what gives?

Of the nightshade family potatoes tend to be the most problematic. With the marinara it could just be the acidity that is causing you issues.

Sweet potatoes are not a nightshade by the way.

@Clearlyiamdisturbed  and  @jmcbn  - Interesting idea that it could be nightshades.  I hadn't thought of that as a possibility. I will do some reading on it and maybe experiment with elimination of those too. I have hypothyroidism and have also wondered about the cruciferous family causing me issues there, but again have not tried to eliminate them for any period of time. Both of those eliminations will create some cooking challenges for me.

Can you believe it...only 3 days until reintroduction!:D

Looking for people's thoughts or insights here: How much of a portion of something do you think is the right amount to reintroduce. For example we are doing dairy first.

I was thinking of adding some shredded cheddar to eggs for breakfast. With full-fat Greek yogurt and berries. Then maybe picking up our favorite take-out seafood chowder for dinner that night.

Making myself hungry thinking about it! Plus I am baking bacon....go figure!

Feeling great this morning. Waking up right at 5 AM without any problems. I had my first food dream last night....funny thing... it was a smoked seafood plate....yummy.

Stay focused.

Cindy

Archived