Roasted cauliflower and broccoli

newwhole30er

• Moderators

This looks like how I usually do it: http://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-make-roasted-broccoli-226718 and I've never noticed the middle not being done. 

Maybe cut them into smaller pieces? Or get an oven thermometer and check that your oven is really hitting the temperature you set it for -- I've never done this, but I've heard ovens can be off by enough to really make a difference. Google checking your oven temperature for how to do that. 

Yeah, that recipe is pretty much exactly how I've been doing it. I thought it might be my oven so I tried turning it up to 445 and they just started to burn without getting soft in the middle. It's not that they're not cooked through, just my preference is for a softer inside.

Curious if anyone has tried steaming or par-cooking before roasting.

1 hour ago, newwhole30er said:

Yeah, that recipe is pretty much exactly how I've been doing it. I thought it might be my oven so I tried turning it up to 445 and they just started to burn without getting soft in the middle. It's not that they're not cooked through, just my preference is for a softer inside.

Well, "soft" for roasted vegetables means fork-tender. And they will soften even more as they sit.

Steaming or par-cooking isn't compatible with the roasting and caramelization you want to get. The best advice I can give is:

Use a cookie sheet--a well-seasoned one (mine is almost black) is best but isn't necessary but you do want a nice flat surface.

Drizzle with oil.

Make sure your pieces are small and evenly sized. Divide larger florets; cut the stems if you use them into similar chunks.

Pre-heat your oven! And use the middle rack.

At 425 or even 400, there really is no way you can't get tender broccoli with nice brown bits on the outside. :)

On ‎3‎/‎2‎/‎2017 at 1:08 PM, newwhole30er said:

I've done that with potatoes (works great with the little fingerling types), but never with vegetables.

Archived