Constipated. Uncomfortable. Concerned

I'm on Day 11 here and other then constipation, my Whole 30 is going great.  However, I'm starting to get very concerned.  I haven't had a bowel movement in 4 days.  I'm very uncomfortable, verging on pain.  I've read the various posts about changes in diet, eating more fat, eating more veggies, drinking more water, supplements, and I'm starting to make those changes.  But right now, I'm concerned about the immediate issue.  Simply, I need to go to the bathroom.  I don't think it's healthy to wait another day.  If I don't go to the bathroom I'm worried I'll need to go to the ER.  I don't want to screw up my Whole 30 by taking any medication, but I really don't know what to do now.  Any remedies would be really appreciated.  I did take my first digestive enzyme this morning.

Here's more info about my meal plan:

Breakfast: typically 3 egg omelet with onions, tomatoes, peppers and ham.  Served on a bed or spinach or kale.  Side of sauerkraut or avocado.  Coffee

Lunch: Salmon salad on a bed of spinach.  Carrots.  Beets.  Alternatively, roast chicken with brussel sprouts and potatoes

Dinner: varies.  Last night it was zucchini spaghetti and marinara sauce with a side of asparagus.

-John

Have you got magnesium? A liquid form such as natural calm (original) should help thing move along fairly quickly... Also a teaspoon of ground flax-seeds in some water will help.

How much water are you drinking per day? The recommendation is for a half ounce per pound of body weight, and again staying hydrated is key to healthy bowel movements.

Looking at your meals you make no mention of fat at lunch or dinner - are you adding fat over & above what you are using to cook with?

Hi!  Thanks for getting back to me so quick.  I haven't tried magnesium.  I'm unfamiliar with it and I guess my unfamiliarity makes me hesitant.  Is flax-seed whole 30 compliant?

I just started tracking my water intact.  Yesterday I drank 100 oz (I weigh 180 lbs).  So far today I've had 40 oz.  I'm going to try to hit 100 again.

Salmon salad had mayo in it.  But you're correct, I'm not sure how to add fat to my lunch and dinners, other than avocado.  Today I'm heading to a salad bar.  How do I add fat without access to my whole 30 mayo?

• Moderators
19 minutes ago, jtw said:

How do I add fat without access to my whole 30 mayo?

Olives are a good fat source. Oil for your dressing. Occasionally you can have some nuts or seeds, just don't depend on them all the time as they're not the best fat source. Avocados. Any form of coconut, so unsweetened, sulfite free coconut flakes, or use full fat canned coconut milk to make curries or creamy soups.

If you're often out and about, you might look into carrying your own salad dressings with you, either homemade ones in a container that seals well, or check out something like Tessemae's brand that offers some of their dressings in to go packs: https://www.tessemaes.com/collections/all/whole30-approved or look for individual packs of compliant guacamole or olives that you can carry in your purse (If you carry one) or can easily leave in the fridge or drawer at home or work and grab a couple on your way out the door.

1 hour ago, jtw said:

Hi!  Thanks for getting back to me so quick.  I haven't tried magnesium.  I'm unfamiliar with it and I guess my unfamiliarity makes me hesitant.  Is flax-seed whole 30 compliant?

Much of the western world is magnesium deficient as modern farming techniques deplete the magnesium from the soil so it certainly wouldn't do you any harm, and in fact it's one of the supplements I'd recommend that everyone take. Natural Calm Original is the most widely used on the forum, but there are other types available. If you'e going for a tablet go for magnesium citrate as it's more easily absorbed by the body.

Flaxseed is just a type of a seed and is compliant, yes. It needs to be milled/ground in order to help with the bowel though as if eaten whole it will go straight through the digestive system unabsorbed and it's the oil within the seed that does the magic. A teaspoon in some water each day for a few days should do the trick...

Hope this helps.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been reading through this thread because I'm dealing with a similar issue, but I'm only on day 6.  I'm not in pain (yet) but very bloated and not even passing gas (sorry, TMI) which seems odd.  Questions...first, can I use flaxseed oil instead of flaxseeds?  If so, would a teaspoon of that be the right amount as well?  Secondly, is magnesium found easily at a grocery store/pharmacy, or do I need to go to a health food store?  

Archived