What causes us to stop a healthy lifestyle and how to restart?

soon50

I've done three W30s and several resets in the past 3 years.  

Last year was the best shape I had ever been in physically and mentally.  I was doing fantastic - I was eating relatively clean and active.  I managed to do this in a busy year of 2 travel trips (China/Portugal) as well as several sun trips (All inclusive - Jamaica) all in one year.  I did resets when I came back from all these trips and was feeling great.  

But slowly this year I began to slip - my eating habits, my mental clarity, and mindset.  I don't know why, there wasn't anything that really changed me from continuing that healthy life style.  I adapted it when I felt it was necessary last year and managed to get back on track.  I felt great walking down a trail/road just feeling happy.  I still work out three times a week with Crossfit but the energy and strength isn't there.

And I must admit, I can now easily stop with my husband, after work for dinner and two beers (and sometimes 3 if its real hot).  I will say I'll do better tomorrow but it seems that 'tomorrow' never comes.  

I don't know what causes this.  I loved doing the W30, and even resets as they help.  But how do you get into the mindset again, I would prefer not to do a W30 or do I? maybe another reset? I have to be strong enough to say 'No' to the nice cold beer on the way home from work.  But how...how does one do this again so they feel good as they once were? 

Maybe I should read FFF again, its been awhile.  Does anyone have the same struggle?

On ‎6‎/‎23‎/‎2017 at 3:05 PM, soon50 said:

I've done three W30s and several resets in the past 3 years.  

Last year was the best shape I had ever been in physically and mentally.  I was doing fantastic - I was eating relatively clean and active.  I managed to do this in a busy year of 2 travel trips (China/Portugal) as well as several sun trips (All inclusive - Jamaica) all in one year.  I did resets when I came back from all these trips and was feeling great.  

But slowly this year I began to slip - my eating habits, my mental clarity, and mindset.  I don't know why, there wasn't anything that really changed me from continuing that healthy life style.  I adapted it when I felt it was necessary last year and managed to get back on track.  I felt great walking down a trail/road just feeling happy.  I still work out three times a week with Crossfit but the energy and strength isn't there.

And I must admit, I can now easily stop with my husband, after work for dinner and two beers (and sometimes 3 if its real hot).  I will say I'll do better tomorrow but it seems that 'tomorrow' never comes.  

I don't know what causes this.  I loved doing the W30, and even resets as they help.  But how do you get into the mindset again, I would prefer not to do a W30 or do I? maybe another reset? I have to be strong enough to say 'No' to the nice cold beer on the way home from work.  But how...how does one do this again so they feel good as they once were? 

Maybe I should read FFF again, its been awhile.  Does anyone have the same struggle?

I often struggle with this! It seems to come on more in the summer for me, and is closely related to alcohol (I'm 27, not yet married, no kids, live in a city etc.) and it seems that when summer hits all my friends want to do is go out for drinks. And I'm not saying that I don't also want to indulge, it's just harder to say no every single time!

Some strategies that I employ:

-During the week, and every meal that I make at home is whole30 approved, whether or not I'm doing a real round or not
- My fiancé and I don't order food or go out to eat during the week either, unless it is a suuuuper special occasion or plans with friends we've made previously. That rarely happens.
- During the summer, I tend to keep my non-whole30 choices to alcohol - I realize this may make it sound like all I want to do is binge drink, but it's actually the opposite - if we are out with friends (or before we go out) the food I eat is always whole30 approved, and I'll also add a drink or two. that works for me in my own personal food freedom.
- I usually feel best on a mini-reset when I do 10 days to get me through at least one weekend.

Yes, this struggle is real.  I'm new, since 2/2017 and though I haven't weighed myself, i've dropped at least 2 sizes and have reaped all of the physiological benefits ++, feeling great!! That said, summer, alcohol and vacation has lead me fearful that i'll end up reversing all that I have accomplished.  Currently in "reset" mode and here's my perspective, while I may not ever complete 30 days as perfectly as I did beginning in 2/2017, i'm still healthier and making progress, albeit slower, than I was prior to whole30 lifestyle.  We all can be so hard on ourselves.  Yes, the sugar dragon is real and yes, having alcohol is an enemy of self control, but if a successful reset includes 7, 10, 15 or how ever many days, we are still going to make progress over time.  I think it can be more damaging to over analyze  or punish ourselves over our poor choices rather than jumping back on that reset train asap.  Because in actuality reset is our new healthier us.  Novelty, for me anyway, helped with my supersuccessful first whole30.  I've accepted that I may not ever replicate this same excitement and commitment for 30 days but I know that overall, in the grand scheme of my days and weeks to come, progress is progress.  Best to all struggling with the struggles!  Someone once told me during a stressful time at work... "how do you eat an elephant?... one bite at a time."  That's how I see my journey.  It took my lifetime of 40+ years of unhealthy choices to end up overweight, so its going to take due time, a lifelong journey,  to accomplish a healthier me.

This is my issue as well - and there are a few things I've found helpful.  1) I do 5-10 day resets but I've never done a second thirty days - I find that after only a few days, I feel a lot better and my body gets why self-discipline around food is worth it. I think what's happening to me is that W30 is becoming my default and each time I wander off and wander back, it becomes a stronger default. 2) I stock my refrigerator with prepped W30 ingredients and I keep it that way. I make it easy to cook better food for myself than I can order in most restaurants.  3) I drink very little alcohol. La Croix with a shot of kombucha on the rocks is a great substitute for beer.  4) I read the forum - it helps me keep the faith. Good Luck, everybody.  

Archived