Start Date June 25

TaleofTwoTummies

Hi all, doing this with my husband who has gained quite a bit of weight from boredom and loneliness.  He's military and we've been apart for a few months. Need to get his munching under control. I'm not as healthy as I should be and eat way too much sugar for a "normal" person let alone a Type 1 diabetic. I wear an insulin pump which makes it easy to eat like "normal" people. I also wear a CGM - continuing glucose monitor - one of the best on the market that reads from my iPhone and my iwatch consistently has my BG displayed. Pretty amazing tech...doesn't change my eating habits. So we are experimenting these next 30 days with getting the SAD out of the kitchen and our bodies. At 38 we are still young enough to see changes happen fairly quickly. Do it now, change for good, keep his job and my kidneys. :D

Been planning this for a couple weeks and are now both in...

Hi! Me too, I'm starting too! I also have type 1! My cgm is the old version and I hate it! I'm most concerned with low sugars. I know it's better to eat the actual fruit (I read the rules!) but 20 minutes to take effect feels like a lifetime. I would prefer to drink the juice and it only take 5 minutes! I am 27- and I have had type 1 for almost 23 years.  

• Moderators
3 hours ago, GretelOne said:

Hi! Me too, I'm starting too! I also have type 1! My cgm is the old version and I hate it! I'm most concerned with low sugars. I know it's better to eat the actual fruit (I read the rules!) but 20 minutes to take effect feels like a lifetime. I would prefer to drink the juice and it only take 5 minutes! I am 27- and I have had type 1 for almost 23 years.  

In the context of Whole30, yes it's definitely recommended to eat the fruit and skip juice altogether, but that doesn't count for diabetic issues.  I wouldn't wait 20 min to feel better and I think it's a doc recommendation to drink the juice anyway... keep on keeping on... hopefully with the whole foods, template meals, meal timing and hormone regulation, you eventually have less highs and lows and reduce the need for juice at all :)

10 hours ago, GretelOne said:

There's no way I'm skipping the juice if there's a low. Or a gel pack. Or tabs. Or whatever the heck we have to do to not pass out in the moment. I'm going for sugar free everything but as a type 1 you know that isn't realistic in an emergency. I figure I'll be restarting until my basal on my pump is correctly set to avoid as many lows as possible. You're right, it's harder on us to be 100% sugar free as fast as everyone else for the simple fact that Activity + No Carbs + Programed insulin = Emergency BG lows. It's part of our nifty lot in life. I've had this since I was in my late teens and i know too well what a low can mean in certain situations. This is one where we do the absolute best we can to avoid all the crap sugars that tempt us all day but when you're fixin to pass out, you eat the freaking sugar! Be smart about it Gretel. And don't forget to adjust your basal rate for your new diet as well. On the pump it's easy for me, if I had to figure out the long acting shot at bed time, I'd be hosed. We can be just as healthy and fit as anyone else, it just takes us a bit more time and a freaking degree in biochemistry...at least it feels like that some days :blink: We got dis!

• Moderators
1 hour ago, TaleofTwoTummies said:

There's no way I'm skipping the juice if there's a low. Or a gel pack. Or tabs. Or whatever the heck we have to do to not pass out in the moment. I'm going for sugar free everything but as a type 1 you know that isn't realistic in an emergency. I figure I'll be restarting until my basal on my pump is correctly set to avoid as many lows as possible. You're right, it's harder on us to be 100% sugar free as fast as everyone else for the simple fact that Activity + No Carbs + Programed insulin = Emergency BG lows. It's part of our nifty lot in life. I've had this since I was in my late teens and i know too well what a low can mean in certain situations. This is one where we do the absolute best we can to avoid all the crap sugars that tempt us all day but when you're fixin to pass out, you eat the freaking sugar! Be smart about it Gretel. And don't forget to adjust your basal rate for your new diet as well. On the pump it's easy for me, if I had to figure out the long acting shot at bed time, I'd be hosed. We can be just as healthy and fit as anyone else, it just takes us a bit more time and a freaking degree in biochemistry...at least it feels like that some days :blink: We got dis!

Wait wait wait, why no carbs?  This is not a low/no carb plan.  I can't say I understand diabetes as I don't have it and I don't know much about it, but no where does it say you can't have carbs.  The recommendation is a fist sized serving one a day... usually we say more if you're very active, an athlete, a woman nearing or on her period, or a person with mood difficulties... not sure how that translates to diabetes but from what you're saying it sounds like you used to eat processed carbs and you've cut them out without replacing... not good.

Also, you can definitely stay compliant while still treating lows, but please stay away from processed 'foods' like gel packs or other 'energy' drinks/juice/food because they have a heck of a lot more crap in them than just sugar.

Hey, I went from a diagnosis of "pre-diabetic" and my doctor e-mailing me personally, to blood glucose level of well within normal.  In less than a month of working a whole 30.  I do not know what it's like to actually be diabetic, but I sincerely hope that the guidelines can help you.  

9 hours ago, SugarcubeOD said:

Wait wait wait, why no carbs?  This is not a low/no carb plan.  I can't say I understand diabetes as I don't have it and I don't know much about it, but no where does it say you can't have carbs.  The recommendation is a fist sized serving one a day... usually we say more if you're very active, an athlete, a woman nearing or on her period, or a person with mood difficulties... not sure how that translates to diabetes but from what you're saying it sounds like you used to eat processed carbs and you've cut them out without replacing... not good.

Also, you can definitely stay compliant while still treating lows, but please stay away from processed 'foods' like gel packs or other 'energy' drinks/juice/food because they have a heck of a lot more crap in them than just sugar.

I'm talking about Diabetic Gel packs and Tabs.  Not sports ones. Totally different in that one is meant for athletes and one is meant to rescue those of us with diabetes in an emergency. None of us are walking around with orange juice in our purses. If we cut out grains, we cut the primary source of carbs each meal. ADA recommendations is a carb, protein, veg, fat each meal. I will add sweet potatoes and the other carby veggies and fruits in place of rice at every meal but don't kid yourself, until I get my basal rate adjusted I will be crashing and will need those emergency tabs and gels. And while it seems like we just take juice with us to the gym, your BG can drop anytime up to 4 hours after working out. Having passed out (more than once) in randomly weird places, I carry gels and tabs eveywhere. Like AmEx...never leave home without it. Every Type 1 knows their body and it's reaction to activity and lowered carb intake. Carbs from natural sources react differently than junk food carbs. It's like a science experiment any time I mess with my diet. I know this type of lifestyle is great for diabetics though so I'm all in on making it work permanently. My goal is to halve my insulin usage while getting and keeping my A1c under 7. I'm at 7.1 now. But that's going to come with Lows. 

People with type 2 diabetes are different than ours. We will take insulin for the rest of our lives, because our pancreases don't make insulin! I was diagnosed when I was 4, so obviously it wasn't a diet issue. 

We have a basal rate: which is a set programmed amount of insulin our pumps give us (yay no shots!) throughout the day. E.V.E.R.Y.T.H.I.N.G affects our blood sugars. Change in your mood? Watched an action movie? Walked across a small field? Yeah, change in sugars, too. Processed carbs are much easier for us to manipulate, because it's very clear what we need to type in. Carbs occurring in carrots and veggies etc, are a little tougher because they aren't as sustaining so it will mess up the basal. (A basal shouldn't be depending on food, but alas- it is not a perfect science!) when we have lows, if it gets too badly, I know I could eat the entire contents on a man vs food challenge and not even be full- we become primitive, your body is trying to stay alive! I was just happy to see another t1d in here :) and happy for support from all of you! 

16 minutes ago, GretelOne said:

People with type 2 diabetes are different than ours. We will take insulin for the rest of our lives, because our pancreases don't make insulin! I was diagnosed when I was 4, so obviously it wasn't a diet issue. 

We have a basal rate: which is a set programmed amount of insulin our pumps give us (yay no shots!) throughout the day. E.V.E.R.Y.T.H.I.N.G affects our blood sugars. Change in your mood? Watched an action movie? Walked across a small field? Yeah, change in sugars, too. Processed carbs are much easier for us to manipulate, because it's very clear what we need to type in. Carbs occurring in carrots and veggies etc, are a little tougher because they aren't as sustaining so it will mess up the basal. (A basal shouldn't be depending on food, but alas- it is not a perfect science!) when we have lows, if it gets too badly, I know I could eat the entire contents on a man vs food challenge and not even be full- we become primitive, your body is trying to stay alive! I was just happy to see another t1d in here :) and happy for support from all of you! 

I was so lucky to get it later in adolescence. Your parents must have spent a lot of sleepless nights worrying.  And you are so right...any little freaking thing jacks with the BG. When I first got my CGM - I wear the Dexcom G5 and have the Omni Pod pump - my alarms went off almost all day every day. It alarms high, and low, all night :blink:  I finally got my night time levels to even out so I could sleep. But I still have nights when it goes crazy and I wake up 8-9 times. Sleep deprived zombie who has eaten her way through every form of carb I can find in the kitchen at 2 am. That hunger is so trippy. Like the thirst at 350 -400+. 

Im so glad you commented! Sometimes I feel like the only Type 1 surrounded by 2's  who just don't quite get the difference. I have heard of Type 1's who have such tight control through food and exercise they take very little insulin, just the base line to cover the glucose produced by their liver. I doubt I'll ever be that tight but I'd like to shoot for it. Keep me posted on how it goes.  Not sure if there's PM on here but we might be able to ping ideas and share strategies. Good luck!!! :D

9 hours ago, Jim4884 said:

Hey, I went from a diagnosis of "pre-diabetic" and my doctor e-mailing me personally, to blood glucose level of well within normal.  In less than a month of working a whole 30.  I do not know what it's like to actually be diabetic, but I sincerely hope that the guidelines can help you.  

Thanks Jim! Glad you did what you needed to do to avoid it. I wish more folks understood the way you did.  Unfortunately for Gretel and I, we are Type 1 which means our pancreases are good for nothing lazy little turds who quit producing the one hormone they are required to produce. This leaves us insulin dependent for life. But, following this type of diet can lower our risk for all sorts of complications once we get our basal - standard daily dose/constant insulin - programmed right on our pumps. More than anything, you showed you can avoid T2 by being responsible for what you eat. That's pretty awesome!!! B)

• Moderators
3 hours ago, TaleofTwoTummies said:

I'm talking about Diabetic Gel packs and Tabs.  Not sports ones. Totally different in that one is meant for athletes and one is meant to rescue those of us with diabetes in an emergency. None of us are walking around with orange juice in our purses. If we cut out grains, we cut the primary source of carbs each meal. ADA recommendations is a carb, protein, veg, fat each meal. I will add sweet potatoes and the other carby veggies and fruits in place of rice at every meal but don't kid yourself, until I get my basal rate adjusted I will be crashing and will need those emergency tabs and gels. And while it seems like we just take juice with us to the gym, your BG can drop anytime up to 4 hours after working out. Having passed out (more than once) in randomly weird places, I carry gels and tabs eveywhere. Like AmEx...never leave home without it. Every Type 1 knows their body and it's reaction to activity and lowered carb intake. Carbs from natural sources react differently than junk food carbs. It's like a science experiment any time I mess with my diet. I know this type of lifestyle is great for diabetics though so I'm all in on making it work permanently. My goal is to halve my insulin usage while getting and keeping my A1c under 7. I'm at 7.1 now. But that's going to come with Lows. 

Okay, thanks for clarifying on the gel packs, I wasn't aware there were diabetic gels, which obviously had I known, wouldn't have brought up the sports gels which I'm aware are for athletes.   I didn't suggest that anyone is carrying orange juice around in their purse and I am not 'kidding myself'.  I've said that I don't know a lot about diabetes and I'm glad you know your body well enough to know its reaction to activity and lowered carb intake.  

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, 

Just came across this thread last night as I am planning to start Whole30 this Friday and am T1D since I was 4. I was also concerned about having more frequent lows due to changes in carb intake. (I too have an insulin pump and CGM, and have found that when I transitioned to a pump, I started eating more "regular" meals and less traditional "diabetic" meals which I have pretty much survived on processed and refined carbs, and  not enough fruits and veggies.) I am hoping that this Whole30 challenge will get me back on track! Fellow Type 1 Diabetics, how has the Whole30 been so far? I was so excited to see a couple of other people in the same boat as I am who recently started Whole 30. Thanks in advance for any suggestions or tips!

1 hour ago, katepunch said:

Hi, 

Just came across this thread last night as I am planning to start Whole30 this Friday and am T1D since I was 4. I was also concerned about having more frequent lows due to changes in carb intake. (I too have an insulin pump and CGM, and have found that when I transitioned to a pump, I started eating more "regular" meals and less traditional "diabetic" meals which I have pretty much survived on processed and refined carbs, and  not enough fruits and veggies.) I am hoping that this Whole30 challenge will get me back on track! Fellow Type 1 Diabetics, how has the Whole30 been so far? I was so excited to see a couple of other people in the same boat as I am who recently started Whole 30. Thanks in advance for any suggestions or tips!

Hi Kate! I'm on day 16 but I fudged one day and started weird. Anyway, my BG is phenomenal. Almost perfect. However, tons of lows the first week because the pattern I had set was for eating lots throughout the day. Now it's 3 meals and a preworkout. I am so sick of bananas because I use them to treat my lows along with about 4oz of OJ. That's just my choice though because I know how they raise my BG and I'm comfortable with it. I didn't adjust anything till day 4 because I wanted to see a good pattern of highs and lows before jacking around with my insulin. I also take 0 insulin with my meals unless I'm eating watermelon because that one really messes with me. My usage is almost half what it was which is what I expected. No meal boluses and lower basal in various parts of my day. Also, i sleep like a damn rock. The apocalypse could happen and i won't hear it. I've been wearing my iwatch to bed so if i have a sneaky midnight low, the vibration wakes me up. :blink:

• 7 months later...

Hey guys, not sure if you're still checking this forum, but I'm also a Type 1 and started the Whole30 9 days ago. @TaleofTwoTummies I think its amazing that you've seen a change and don't really need insulin with meals!!! And you're sleeping!!!

I use injectable long acting (Lantus) and Humalog for meals. The first week was rough! I had so many lows and highs I felt like I was riding a rollercoaster! But the last couple of days my BG has evened out and I'm staying pretty much in a tight range. Still have to really think about how much insulin for meals as sweet potatoes don't affect me like rice/bread/grains would. And I tried with my first low to use an apple, but no go -- gotta have the OJ when I'm at 37. :wacko:

@TaleofTwoTummies @katepunch @GretelOneNow that you're done with your 30, has it changed how you eat? Any take-aways that you'd share with another diabetic???

Archived