Looking for an Over 50 Group to blog with

RBCali

Good morning Hillary

Hang in there with your Whole30. I too was looking for some weight loss and I know I've had some, but since I haven't been on the scale I'm not sure how much I've lost. I do know my pants are fitting a little looser and that's fine with me :-). I agree with SugarcubeOD. I'm 60 so I have had a lot of years not eating right, so I need to be patient and let my body "heal" from all the diets and wrong foods I've been feeding it for so long. When I was at the midway point, I too felt a little disappointed at not really seeing any results weight-wise, but since I committed to 30 days I kept going. Today I am on Day35 and feel great. I am postponing reintroduction until I see my doctor as I did not see the kind of results I was hoping for in my bloodwork. But then again, I spent 40+ years eating whatever I wanted, so expecting 30 days to clean-up my system is a little presumptious. I too have had more energy and do not lay around as much as I was a month ago. I wentt for a 5.5 mile hike over the weekend, and although my legs were sore, it was just the motivation I needed to begin walking again. I went out and treated myself to a good pair of Brooks Andrenalines and plan on starting up my walking routine again.

Have a great day and enjoy the process!

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good morning everyone!  I sure enjoy your posts, challenges and encouragement!  I agree with RBCali, I think we are probably a bit impatient to see results, which is totally understandable, being human.:)  I have to remind myself a dose of realism & patience is in order.  Like you said we didn't get this way overnight.  That is awesome you bought a new pair of shoes for walking!  Makes me think of that saying "the longest journey starts with the first step)":rolleyes: I got a new bicycle, & although I don't ride a long way-yet, I try to get out in the morning for 20-30 min. before it gets too warm.  My husband & I just started up our pass to the Y that we suspended back in May.  It doesn't all happen every day, but the longest journey.... My biggest problem is sleep, & I know it is SO mportant.  3:20 every morning I wake up & can't get back to sleep.  No matter what time I go to bed.  It sucks!  I am considering supplements.  Keep it going everyone, we r doing good! 

I turn 65 in October. I'm unhealthy and not living my best life.  I am changing that Whole 30 is one of the ways I am doing it (day 3) as well as meditation and working towards a life of intention.

I work full time in healthcare, have a 16 1/2 yr old daughter. Teaching myself to sew.

My Greatest challenge is my work schedule as in there isn't one. Some days I put in 3 hours and some days I put in 14. It makes for a crazy life but allows me to care for my daughter.

On 8/21/2017 at 7:32 AM, hillarywah said:

I have just hit my half way point. I am 61 and have been on every diet there is. I also am not "feeling" this incredible change. I have stopped using protein bars to snack on, let go of my beloved splenda and no longer use vanilla soy creamer in my coffee. (I can't believe I am drinking black coffee) I do have a little more energy as the couch has stop calling my name in late afternoon. However, I really don't think I have lost weight, which for me was the goal. I was eating a vegetarian diet before I switched back to this as I was thinking it was to carb loaded. I have decided to eliminate nuts and see if that helps. I will carry on as I promised myself I would do 30 days even if the results were not what I expected. I wish there was a "camp" I could go to for a month and return enlightened. Are there other 60 somethings out there that are wondering if its even possible to get rid of the weight at this age? I have been dieting since my mother put me in weight watchers at 11 and now I feel like I probably ruined my metabolism! 

Hey Hillary,

I hope you had a good day. Did you see my other reply I sent Wednesday morning? Ha- I can't seem to find it??

I do believe we can lose weight at our age, but it's not easy. Diet (as in the food you eat) and exercise seems to be the best bet along with just stick with it. I told myself at 50 I would get in shape and I even started training for a half marathon. Knee issues got me on that one so I had to quit, and I lost my motivation. Here I am 10 years later, still trying to get fit. I glad I found Whole30 as it is the structured program that I needed to get away from my bad eating habits - the first step to losing some weight. I know I've lost some and I hope to lose more. It's only been 35 days since I started, but I feel good and want to keep with it. I think what I like best about the Whole30 is that I am learning to eat the right foods and it's my choice to keep up with the protocol. Even if I found the right camp, it would still boil down to my own initiative and desire to change my lifestyle. Not to get cheesy or anything, but I know the right thing to do to lose weight (eat right and exercise) and feel better, but I just have to do it.  And, I believe we can change our metabolism at this late date, but it will take some hard work and a very big commitment to myself to do the work. I'm not sure what your status is, but I'm a divorced empty-nester, my kids are self-sufficient and out on their own, and I have that "me-time" that everyone is always talking about. So I want to make the best of it!

I'm pulling for you Hillary to be able to work through the next 19 days so you can get to the point where you know the time you've spend on Whole30 was worth it.

Blessings! RBCali

I'm 57 and so is my wife. I don't "need" to do whole30, as I've been mostly paleo for nearly ten years. With that, I lost 30+ pounds (that I hid really well, as everyone thought I was skinny. I wasn't. ) I also got rid of pre-diabetes. I then started Crossfit and did that for a couple of years. They moved, and so I do some weight lifting at home. I'm still in the best shape of my life. My wife just wants to lose 10 lbs. Nothing, I mean nothing has worked for her. She even did keto for10 weeks with no real results.  I think part of the problem for her is under eating, and she loves cheese and yogurt. She's been calorie restricted for quite a long time, just to try to stop the gain, which all happens around her abdomen. She's thin everywhere else. 

We are on day 4, and both have been perfectly compliant. 

This is really a last ditch thing for her. But I get it. If she can't lose what she wants to, why not eat ice cream and Mexican food and her favorite breakfast of sweetened yogurt and toast with peanut butter, when not having her favorites makes no difference in her body morphology?

Fingers crossed. And we're cooking like crazy... But fortunately, we love to cook. But man... this is a LOT of cooking and prep. But we're doing it. 

12 hours ago, coconuts said:

I'm 57 and so is my wife. I don't "need" to do whole30, as I've been mostly paleo for nearly ten years. With that, I lost 30+ pounds (that I hid really well, as everyone thought I was skinny. I wasn't. ) I also got rid of pre-diabetes. I then started Crossfit and did that for a couple of years. They moved, and so I do some weight lifting at home. I'm still in the best shape of my life. My wife just wants to lose 10 lbs. Nothing, I mean nothing has worked for her. She even did keto for10 weeks with no real results.  I think part of the problem for her is under eating, and she loves cheese and yogurt. She's been calorie restricted for quite a long time, just to try to stop the gain, which all happens around her abdomen. She's thin everywhere else. 

We are on day 4, and both have been perfectly compliant. 

This is really a last ditch thing for her. But I get it. If she can't lose what she wants to, why not eat ice cream and Mexican food and her favorite breakfast of sweetened yogurt and toast with peanut butter, when not having her favorites makes no difference in her body morphology?

Fingers crossed. And we're cooking like crazy... But fortunately, we love to cook. But man... this is a LOT of cooking and prep. But we're doing it. 

Welcome coconuts.  I too hid my excess weight quite well - nobody thought I was SKINNY, but when I told people my actual weight (250 at my highest) there were gasps and wide eyes - I was clearly overweight, but I didn't look like 250 at a height of 5'9".  I also got rid of pre-diabetes - blood sugar is well within normal range now,

I hear you on the cooking!  I've always loved to cook, but had gotten out of the habit.  Whole30 resurrected that for me, and I am actually enjoying it - though it does get wearisome at times :) 

I'm sure you know this, but any way you can help your wife to understand that calorie restriction will almost always lead to that abdomen gain.  The body is protecting itself from the starvation it feels is coming.  

She will have to give up those dairy items to lose the weight, but I believe a rigorous whole30 could have a profound effect.  Good luck!

@hillarywah

On 8/21/2017 at 7:32 AM, hillarywah said:

I have just hit my half way point. I am 61 and have been on every diet there is. I also am not "feeling" this incredible change. I have stopped using protein bars to snack on, let go of my beloved splenda and no longer use vanilla soy creamer in my coffee. (I can't believe I am drinking black coffee) I do have a little more energy as the couch has stop calling my name in late afternoon. However, I really don't think I have lost weight, which for me was the goal. I was eating a vegetarian diet before I switched back to this as I was thinking it was to carb loaded. I have decided to eliminate nuts and see if that helps. I will carry on as I promised myself I would do 30 days even if the results were not what I expected. I wish there was a "camp" I could go to for a month and return enlightened. Are there other 60 somethings out there that are wondering if its even possible to get rid of the weight at this age? I have been dieting since my mother put me in weight watchers at 11 and now I feel like I probably ruined my metabolism! 

Hey Hillary, hope all is going well for you. I'm doing a slow roll reintroduction (https://whole30.com/2014/09/dear-melissa-slow-reintroduction-roll/) because I do like the way I feel and I know it's the food I've been eating. I just wanted to mention about the weight; I have kept to the rule not to get on a scale, and even though I am Day 37, I still haven't weighed. I'm waiting to weight when I go to the doctor this coming Thursday. Anyway, I was laying in bed wondering what to wear to work today, Friday is jeans day, and I thought about a pair of capri pants that I haven't worn in two years. I got them out of the closet and they fit! In fact, they were a little loose :-D So, I guess I have lost weight! So keep it up and slowly but surely our bodies will weigh what they are supposed to.

Have a great weekend!

Mornin' y'all. I am over 50 and I am about to start my third attempt at completing a Whole30.  Since July I have learned a lot about what triggers my "emotional eating".  I made it 22 days this last round.  I will be starting Day 1 (again) on Monday.  I have a shopping trip tomorrow to a neighboring city with my mother and I told her we would eat at whatever establishment she chooses.  

This is definitely a learning experience.

Wow, in just 5 days my knees feel less achy. Today is day 6. After a good break fast, I'm camped out at the car dealership. I'm staying far away from the cookies and drinking water. I hope all have been having a great start to their weekend.

6 minutes ago, pearlgirl2017 said:

about to start my third attempt at completing a Whole30. 

This is definitely a learning experience.

Sure is. This is probably my 4th attempt. I have more reasons for the why and a clear view of the how.

Hello! I am 62 and preparing for my first Whole30. Losing a few pounds would be great, but my hope is to improve some numbers on tests from my annual physical. Numbers not bad yet, but have been watching them slowly inch wrong direction the past few years, and this year blood sugar entered pre-diabetes range. Time to put a stop to it! Sugar and carbs are definitely an issue I need to address. I want to be healthy and enjoy retirement and grandchildren. Sept 1 will be the first day of a new lifestyle for me -- I CAN do this.

14 hours ago, Maryannw said:

Hello! I am 62 and preparing for my first Whole30. Losing a few pounds would be great, but my hope is to improve some numbers on tests from my annual physical. Numbers not bad yet, but have been watching them slowly inch wrong direction the past few years, and this year blood sugar entered pre-diabetes range. Time to put a stop to it! Sugar and carbs are definitely an issue I need to address. I want to be healthy and enjoy retirement and grandchildren. Sept 1 will be the first day of a new lifestyle for me -- I CAN do this.

I went from the high end of pre-diabetic to completely normal blood sugar thanks to Whole 30.  Everybody's results are different of course, but it can work.   I am 55 for a reference point...

52 minutes ago, Jim4884 said:

I went from the high end of pre-diabetic to completely normal blood sugar thanks to Whole 30.  Everybody's results are different of course, but it can work.   I am 55 for a reference point...

That's great!

Happy Sunday everyone! It is gorgeous out & I just went for a ride on the motorcycle with my husband.  I could swear there is a little more room between him & me.  Maybe he just adjusted the seats somehow, but I'm gonna go with the former:)  Day 17 today.  Doing pretty well.  I had to go to lunch in a different town with some ladies yesterday.  The only thing compliant on the menu was a grilled chicken salad.  I've done that before, but this one was kind of an Asian salad, so by the time I had them hold the mandarin oranges (canned in syrup I'm sure) crunchy noodles, & the dressing (brought my own), all that was left was some romaine lettuce, a couple of onion slices, & some sliced grilled chicken about the size of half my palm.  By the time I got home I was REALLY hungry.  I probably went overboard on the cashews, compliant meat sticks, & watermelon:unsure: Not bad foods by any means, but I've been doing pretty good about snacking. I suppose there is a lesson in there somewhere.  I have been reading Food Freedom Forever.  As we all know, there is going to have to be some practice, mindfulness, and work still ahead after reintroduction if we are to not end up in the same boat ( or worse) than when we started.  That is what I did last time.  I hope I can do better this time, that is the plan.  I am learning more each time, so that is progress.  Isn't it interesting how different we all are?  Things take longer to resolve on some than others, and the order is different too!  I got thinking about this today, & realized my joints aren't aching hardly at all-big improvement, & no acid reflux either!  Right there is success!  Welcome to all the newcomers, and a big shout out to the others who are making their way along!  Good luck one & all!

Carla,

All things considered, I think you did great. Next time you go out with people or to places your not sure of, eat first. My Aunt was always a picky eater. If she didn't care for the food where we were eating, that's what she did. She could always order a chef salad or steamed veggies or coffee and enjoy the company.

Good morning all!  Hope your weekend went well.  Weekends always seem to be the hardest for me.  And now I think my refrigerator is on it's last leg.  We knew it was coming, but it's been a really good one and we hate to part with it.  It was built back when they made them to last.  It's 32 years old.

The freezer seemed to be stuck on defrost and wasn't making any ice.  I mentioned to my companion that the temp in the freezer was not getting below 20 degrees, so yesterday he turned the setting to colder.  This morning my eggs were frozen in their shells and the kale had frost crystals.  But by golly the ice maker was working again.  

What a start to the day.

Good morning!  You are right LydiaJo, I probably should have eaten before I went to lunch.  Sometimes you just get caught.  I had breakfast that morning, & had no idea lunch choices would be so limited.  At any rate I survived.  Although not an ideal situation, I did stay compliant.  A reoccurring theme for me in this Whole30 is eating enough at each meal to make it to the next without requiring a snack.  Pearlgirl2017, that is a bummer about your fridge.  I feel your pain.  Hope you figured it out, & don't need a new fridge!  Day 19 for me.  Am experiencing a little food boredom.  Need to crack the cookbook & come up with some new ideas, especially for breakfast.  Made pork Posole with tostones 2 days ago.  My husband, who is not doing Whole30, came into the kitchen to check it out.  He really liked it, & dipped his tostones in 1000 island dressing!  Alas, no leftovers for me, but always glad to see him eat something nutritious:P.  Hope all is going well out there in the blogosphere. RBcalli, I am wondering how your reintroduction is going.  Did anything trigger cravings?

1 hour ago, Carla B said:

<snip> Day 19 for me.  Am experiencing a little food boredom.  Need to crack the cookbook & come up with some new ideas, especially for breakfast.  <snip> 

One of the best resources I've found for new recipes to help with food boredom (though mostly for dinner I seem to recall as I am typing this) is Mel Joulwan's blog: https://meljoulwan.com/  Plus she's a fairly entertaining blogger.  And her site doesn't take forever to load like some.  Good luck!  I got lucky as scrambled eggs with homemade sausage and potatoes still satisfies me for breakfast!

I haven't been following the strict rules of the Whole30 like I thought I would.  Today should have been Day 2, but with the fridge on the blink we have been trying to eat up what we can before it potentially goes bad.  No sugary stuff for me, just the few leftovers that were meant to go with his meals for the week.  Green peas, the canned corn, stuff like that.  I hope to have this situation resolved before the Labor Day weekend.

Hi everyone,  I started W30 again today (Aug 31 Thurs) because I really needed to get back on track and quickly.    Looking forward to some support from here as I go thru.   I'm trying to make this lifestyle stick but every time I finish I just go back to what I used to do pretty much - although there are probably some very small improvements.   Generally - not cool!  But I figure I'll just keep hanging in there and keep going.  So here I go again.   Looking forward to the journey.  One benefit of all this is that I am the homemade mayo queen of the north!  That's a plus. ;) 

Welcome Aussie gal, & all newcomers!  I am on day 22 or thereabouts.  That, too, is my biggest worry, slipping back into old habits.  Food Freedom Forever is all about the "after", so I am slowly working my way through that.  I have to have a back tooth extracted today.  It seems I have a cracked tooth that has had a root canal, & it has gotten an infection.  Apparently this, & a subsequent implant is the only solution.  Be glad to have it over.  I am going to make some kind of soup as I'm sure I won't feel like chewing anything hard for a couple days.  Also, yesterday my husband got the results of his recent echocardiogram, & treadmill stress test.  The echo was ok, consistent with his a-fib, but, as he puts it, he flunked the stress test.  They want to do further studies with dye.  This, of course, stressed me out to the max.  I wanted so bad to have a glass of wine!  Had a serious talk with myself.  Reminded myself it is called life, and no one promised a rose garden.  We will deal with it.  It is not a reason to go off the rails.  So, here I am, taking it one day at a time.  I, also, make my own mayonnaise, using avocado oil, and a little macadamia nut oil if I have it.  I do the stick blender method.  It's so simple. I probably wouldn't do it if I had to do the old drip drip drip method!  Ok, well that's my morning coffee 2 cents worth.  I think it is refreshing that so many of you are getting educated about nutrition, and doing the Whole30.  So many folks out there haven't a clue & figure they are simply victims.  Have a wonderful day!

Archived