Feelings of failure

Does anyone else get feelings of failure/guilt after eating something non-paleo? I'm generally okay if it's been planned - for example my mother-in-law baked me a cake for my birthday this week and since I had planned to eat some I was okay, however three days later the leftovers are in the fridge and since cake is one of my trigger foods I found it very hard to resist...and ended up eating some this morning. And now I just feel so guilty about it!

I find it a real mental challenge to constantly be around non-paleo foods - at the moment we are living with my mother-in-law and since she is not paleo there is often a lot of non-compliant foods in the kitchen.

For the most part don't eat anything that is not going to make me feel good and it's quite easy, but it is really emotionally draining to be around some of my trigger foods (such as cake) on a regular basis! I feel like I'm on a constant tightrope waiting to fall off! I know I wouldn't have this problem if we lived alone as the food in the house would basically all be compliant, and then again, that's really the easy way isn't it!?

Just wondering if anyone else experienced anything similar or had any tips? :)

Be gentle with yourself! It's hard enough to change lifelong habits without beating yourself up over a slip here and there. Just keep doing your best to have compliant foods around so when you are really hungry, you can be proud of your choices.

For the most part don't eat anything that is not going to make me feel good and it's quite easy, but it is really emotionally draining to be around some of my trigger foods (such as cake) on a regular basis! I feel like I'm on a constant tightrope waiting to fall off! I know I wouldn't have this problem if we lived alone as the food in the house would basically all be compliant, and then again, that's really the easy way isn't it!?

I get this every time I go home to my parents' house. It's SO hard seeing people have the food and eat it in front of you (especially when I'm alone in the house and know that nobody will ever catch me eating that PB). It's like a constant vampire sucking on my available reserves of willpower.

Thing that have helped me:

• get as far away from the food as you can (in my case, it meant spending most of my time in my bedroom upstairs, NOT in the kitchen where the food all is).
  • tell everyone you have a serious reaction to [insert whatever you're most tempted by here] so if anyone catches you eating some, you'll be super embarassed. Some people think of this as lying and underhanded; I choose to see it as a survival strategy. YMMV.
  • find something else to keep your mouth busy. I used tea. I drank like 5 huge mugs of tea every single day, sometimes more. And also water - I would go through 3-4 liters of water every day ON TOP OF the tea. Basically I drank so much that it made me feel uncomfortably full all the time, so I didn't really want to eat on top of that.
  • caffeine is an appetite suppressant and also gives you energy (= energy for resisting cravings). I also find that it perks up my mood and I'm much more able to make good food decisions when I'm happy as opposed to feeling down or stressed. I've been off caffeine for a few months now but am considering going back on when I go home to visit just for this reason.
  • take any excuse to leave the house when you feel crave-y. I work just from my laptop so I could take it out to the library (no food) to get away from temptation for a while.

Good luck!

Thank you both! That is really helpful :) As it is I am starting a new job tomorrow, so I think it will become a lot easier for me to avoid nasties in the fridge since I'll eat breakfast, go, take a packed lunch and only have to worry about dinner that night. At least I'll be away from the kitchen for most of the day hehe!

Can you just eat YOUR food and put hers in a "it's her food so I can't eat it" mentality in your head? I did a W30 with all kinds of crackers and chocolate in the house. I just never let myself think about it as something I COULD eat, so I never touched it. I overthink things, though, so maybe I'm just crazy. :-D

Archived