They say there is nothing to fear but fear itself. I beg to differ. Today is day 30. At one point I thought this day would never come but now that it is here I do not feel relief. During my Whole30 my mood stabilized, I slept better, have not had a breakout of acne, no weird rashes, random breast tenderness disappeared, I make it to the end of the day with energy, belly bloat has decreased significantly, no random aches and pains...all grand things, right? However, my concern is that when I step on that scale in the morning and come face to face with that number all 9 of the above benefits will fly out of the window if there is no significant change. I fear that because no one has said hey, you look great, clothes are not fitting significantly different, nor do i feel the magic or the glow. Do I feel better? Yes! Do I feel capable of 'riding my own bike'? Nope. I am not even attempting reintroduction of anything this week. Honestly, the only thing I really miss and would like to have is a grilled cheese sandwich. The sugar dragon is dead. The dead dragon is reason #10 to rejoice. Why can't I sever the chain/mental block to the scale?

If you're fearful of getting on the scales, then don't. There's no law saying you MUST weigh yourself after 30 days. If you feel good now, just go with that feeling. Maybe you need to do a bit longer than a Whole30 before you master all of your psychological issues in this arena?

• 2 weeks later...

Read and heed. The link to the first part is in the first paragraph of the article. Also a must-read.

http://everydaypaleo...addicts-part-2/

I love that link. It says it all really re the scales.

However it can be scary coming off a Whole30. I know I'm over the sugar dragon too and this time I'll make sure that my plates continue to be piled high with mostly vegetables.

Maybe it's good to do a Whole30 about 3 times a year. It sharpens up the focus on what really matters.

Good luck Elle - you, me and anyone else taking the plunge on Day 31. ;)

Archived