SUCCESS!

Determine

I love reading the inspirational stories of success about people who have conquered the Whole30 after living a life with health and weight issues as well as those who have dealt with insurmountable odds. My story is not as special but it is my story nonetheless.

I have completed my second Whole30. I did not go into this overweight or with any health conditions. I am a fit, forty-eight year old woman who not only slayed the sugar dragon but I am now feeling hormonaly balanced. My energy level is consistent throughout the day and I wake up with a ton of get-up-and-go. With the support of my Crossfit box (we did a Paleo Partner Challenge with the Whole30 as our template) and the Whole30 Forum I succeeded with flying colors!

The first week was the most difficult because I was traveling. If I wasn't in a car I was on an airplane. It was stressful and I was hungry but I dug deep and persevered. I did not succumb to the Larabar. I ate a lot of nuts and raw veggies and was a pain in the butt at most restaurants. Another difficulty was not having my entire family (1 husband 4 kids) in it with me. There was noncompliant food in my house which I simply just had to ignore.

After that first week it was fairly easy and the reason is obvious. Having one Whole30 under my belt I had plenty of recipes, and I knew what grocery items were compliant and I was prepared. YOU MUST BE PREPARED. If capital letters don't emphasize this then let me say it again, be prepared! Of course I had my moments but those moments lasted only minutes and I was able to keep the cravings at bay by having a cup of tea, walking my dog or playing with my kids.

Day 30 is not my last day. I am a bit anxious about going off the Whole30. I feel so damn good that I am apprehensive about reintroducing noncompliant foods back into my diet. I am going to take this adventure day by day and see what life hands me.

Thank you Whole30...it's been fun!

I am 48 as well, 16 days into my second Whole30. I have no health complaints to begin with, and have a lot more energy, and am sleeping so much better. Chocolate is definitely the most difficult thing for me to avoid, but I am sticking in there- trying to find ways to occupy myself when those temptations come up. With a husband and six kids, I can usually find SOMETHING to do !

I also will be anxious when my 30 days are done here. That whole "riding your own bike" thing is intimidating to me, especially because after I finished my first whole30 in September of 2012, I gradually slipped into more & more bad habits as time went on, and started and stopped several times before committing to this again. I really need to wrap my head around how to handle post Whole30 decisions.

anyway- Congratulations ! Well done ! And, if you have any insight to share as you ride it on your own, PLEASE let me know-

Best of luck ! Bridget

Bridget,

Congrats to you too! Day 16 and you must be feeling awesome. Like you, I gradually slid down the slippery slope of sugar after my first Whole30. It was really depressing. I am an all or nothing kind of person so I am going to continue eating clean and if something passes my way (like my birthday cake in July) I will have to seriously contemplate the good, the bad and the ugly. Let's keep in touch. This Whole30 thing sometimes has a mind of its own. You never know what you're going to get.

I think your story is pretty darn special! ;) Completing TWO W30s???? That is awesome! If I was not overweight and didn't have any health conditions, I don't know if I would have done one.

I completed my first W30 on May 2nd and I was scared to add non-compliant foods back in during re-introduction. I have only had 3-4 days since then that I have eaten non-compliant food, and one was for my birthday. At this point, I don't really think about this time as re-introducing but as choosing to live the Paleo Lifestyle as often as possible. If a special ocassion comes up, I will make some kind of allowance and see how I feel afterwards but I am done stressing over food. I feel so much better now and I want to keep feeling this way! :D

• 2 weeks later...

I love your story. The stories about miraculous recovery from ailments are good, too, but it's also great to read stories about regular people just wanting to be as healthy as they can be. Thanks for sharing!

Archived