Canned salmon: pink vs red?

I want to add more fish to my diet and had a look at the tinned varieties available at my local supermarket today. I can get sustainable, wild-caught salmon in plain olive oil - yay! But I noticed there is both red and pink on offer, with the red being more expensive. Does anyone know if there is anything super duper about the red that might push the price up? Is it superior? Or just rarer?

To be honest, I'll probably try both. But I was wondering if there's anything particularly special about the red that someone might be able to shed some light on!

• Moderators

Here is a good discussion of red versus pink: http://www.purealaskasalmon.com/red-salmon-versus-pink-salmon-versus-tuna-2

I like the taste of red salmon better than pink, at least I think I do. Maybe I just like paying more. :rolleyes: Thanks for raising this question. I had just assumed red was rarer and thus more expensive and did not know there were any other differences.

Thanks for that article Tom. I had a look for other articles/discussions and it looks like they are nutritionally very similar. It seems the difference in price is due to the red being less abundant. So it's most likely just a matter of taste.

I bet I'll like the red better too, if I'm paying more for it my brain will probably just decide it has to be nicer!

When buying canned fish, is there a certain brand to look for? The one that is sitting in my pantry from before I started the challenge has salt added in it.

There is nothing wrong with salt added. It's other things you want to avoid like soy.

It is SO hard to find tuna/canned fish without soy! in fact, all of the brands i looked at in my grocery store had added soy! i found these on amazon and ordered some (not as expensive as others I had been looking at online, like wild planet):

http://www.amazon.com/Genova-Tonno-Solid-Light-5-Ounce/dp/B003EYXVZA/ref=sr_1_1?s=grocery&ie=UTF8&qid=1369118360&sr=1-1&keywords=genova+tuna+in+olive+oil

Archived