Applegate Sunday Bacon

RobinA

I cannot find a bacon without any added sugar in my area. I read every single pkg. @ Whole Foods and Trader Joe's. I see lots of conflicting info. about whether bacon is legal on the Whole30. I did notice that the Applegate Sunday Bacon has "Less than 2% of evaporated cane sugar." Also our local smokehouse said they put just a few ounces of sugar into 100 lbs. of bacon. I would consider these "trace" amounts. So would these kinds of bacon be Whole30 approved?

Krogers brand low-sodium bacon is sugar free. It was the only one I could find. No, it's not natural or sulfite free, but during the Whole30 it helps.

Sulfites are never okay. Nitrates and nitrites are. I think that is what you meant. :)

Unfortunately they would not. No amount of sugar, alcohol, soy, msg, grains, dairy or sulphites are okay. It's only 30 days and bacon is not a very superior meat as it is. :)

If you want to have a bacon fix while on a whole30, try to find plain old pork belly in your area. You can cut it into rashers yourself. I will throw a little salt and pepper on it and then cook it like bacon. It is in fact, better than bacon.

Archived