Reintroducing legumes?

My mother in law is coming to visit next week, right as my husband and I hit the end of our Whole30. MIL is a vegetarian and chickpeas are her main dietary staple.

We'd like to try reintroducing legumes so we can eat common meals with her, but I'm a bit worried as I'm not seeing anyone talking about reintroducing legumes.

So are legumes verboten inWhole9, or are they just not a big deal for people (and so not being discussed)?

Thanks,

Melissa

• Moderators

The reason you do not hear about them is that many people did not care about legumes to start with, so it is easy to leave them off the menu going forward. Some people have meaningful problems with legumes, but not everyone. At least not in an obvious or immediate way. I don't notice a problem when I eat a little hummus or have some black beans, I just don't most of the time. There is no special problem with chickpeas. Try some and see how you feel next week.

Thanks Tom. I'm not an overly huge of the old bean in general so giving them up wouldn't be a huge loss, but lentils and chickpeas are favoured by both my husband and my mother in law. I do love back beans but they only kind I can find here are Chinese black beans - very different to the Mexican variety.

Archived