One Bite At A Time

Carie Skeahan

I have a personal success story and I wanted to share it with people that would understand what this means to me……………….

I have two boys, ages 11 and 12. Their father and I shared 15 years together, but unfortunately, we went our separate ways a few years ago. I have since started my mostly W30/Paleo lifestyle and have successfully recruited my kids as well.

My ex has certainly noticed the change in me as well as in my kids, but hasn't exactly been uber supportive when the kids are with him. I have come to terms with this…they eat well when they are with me which is 80% of the time and we deal with the rest. I recently emailed him pics from two years ago where you can CLEARLY see my kids had their fair share of sugar laden treats and “whole wheat†gold fish, you know…because I wanted them to eat healthy. I think the pics surprised him as much as they did me. Isn't looking back at pictures fun?!?!

Well, he was inspired. He emailed me back and said he wants that. He wants to be able to accomplish what the boys and I have and has since sent me his food log!! Of course, in typical Carie fashion, I went to work. I am pretty sure he may still be reading all the information I sent him and digesting my feedback about his log. Hahahaha! Poor guy…

I am almost in tears and overwhelmed with joy. He is my kids father, we could no longer be together, but they deserve to have their dad around for a very long time.

I am very passionate about the choices I make when it comes to feeding myself and my family and I am so excited to be a part of someone else's journey…one bite at a time!

Thanks for reading my story and keep your fingers crossed.

• 2 weeks later...

Carie-

I love this for a couple of reasons:

1. You and your ex are adult enough to have functional and respectful communication,especially about your kiddos. So many "split" (paleo/not) families- even those in the same household- crumble when they try to discuss food. Your boys are learning so much from seeing this modeled.

2. The proof is in the pudding. You have been such an example that even though he's not around every day, your ex can see the change in you. Way to be an example to your whole family. You are changing lives for the better, my friend.

Archived